Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2002, 10:43 PM   #1
Crimson
Dungeon Master

why are you guys/girls not playing BG2 or the ToB
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 10:52 PM   #2
Harry
The Magister

Location: The Land of naked fraulicing nymphs where your every desire comes true
i play both. and BG1 is a little more fun imo
Old 02-03-2002, 11:32 PM   #3
Darkman

I have BG2 but I'm still having fun with BG1. Currently I'm working on a mage that I'm going to import into BG2. After that I might switch over to BG2 for a while... but we'll see (I'm a chronic restarter like some others on this board [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Old 02-03-2002, 11:58 PM   #4
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

because i am too poor to afford BG2..heheh
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Scholarcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 01:07 AM   #5
Crimson
Dungeon Master

thanx for the replies
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 01:24 AM   #6
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

I just could not get into BG2. I started a BG2 game but never finished it. I just felt no pull at all to do that. Since I wanted to play Dark Side anyway, I decided to do that instead of trying to finish BG2/ToB.

I think I may eventually return to finish my BG2 game some day. But for now I'm having a great time playing several different BG1/Tales parties I had always wanted to try. So now I have three Dark Side games going. I figure by the time I'm done with them NwN will be out.

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: Lemernis ]

Old 02-04-2002, 03:33 AM   #7
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

I started BG2, but I didn't like it much. The graphics were too much and the character paperdolls were very unattractive. Plus, I prefer the lower level gaming experience.

Katherine
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 04:56 AM   #8
Lavindathar
Harper

I play them both, and IWD. But im going through with a new character, hopefully all the way. Plus BG1 is a little more fun!!!!
Old 02-04-2002, 05:03 AM   #9
Thaoloren
Elite Waterdeep Guard

SO many reasons why BG1 is better, that I can't be bothered to type them all here.
Thaoloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 12:47 PM   #10
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

Ditto what Thaoloren said, except I cannot resist listing them:

BG2 is very linear. BG1 is wide open--you do what you want, when you want (except for what is it? two? time sensitive quests). I really like that freedom to play the game almost any way I want in BG1.

Graphics:
I'm probably in the minority here but I actually think BG1's graphics are more appealing. Sure the textures in BG2 are a little smoother, but not by all that much, really. The color palette for BG2 is noticeably on the grayish, washed out side--it is intended to be a 'darker' world figuratively, and they helped create that mood by using less vibrant colors. In contrast BG1 may be a bit granier but in 32 color depth its looks pretty damn good, I'd say. Also in BG1 you get atmospheric lighting and weather changes.

The way the figures are drawn in BG2 is more caracitured; a subtle difference perhaps, but this annoys me. And I really do not prefer the 800 x 600 resolution which has the overall effect of shrinking the animations! The game starts to look like Starcraft with little bugs moving about on the screen instead of people.

Also, as Katherine noted, the paper doll and item BAMs for the inventory screen really look like crap in BG2.

The setting:
I prefer a sunnier, mostly outdoors (nicely balanced with plenty of dungeon crawling and city adventuring), classic northern European style setting to Amn's more Turkish/Byzantine style setting.

NPCs:
BG1 gives you 25 NPCs whereas BG2 gives you 16.

Lower level play:
The main reason for me. I realize BG2 is a continuation of BG1, but I felt very little continuity between the two games. What with the different graphic appearance of the characters, selection of a kit, and major changes to the profs system it felt more like I was starting with a high level new character.

What I enjoy most in BG1 is when my party is very low level and pushing the envelope by taking on battles that are barely within their ability. I realize that BG2 also scales difficulty, but I just didn't find it as satisfying to begin the game with all of those high level spells and magical weapons immediately available.

I would not argue that BG2 is better in the following ways:

Pathfinding is vastly improved.

Limited monster summoning, which unbalanced the game in BG1. (I still wouldn't use it much in BG2, as although it is perfectly legal I still think it unbalances the game.)

The higher level spells are a lot of fun (although Dark Side gives a lot of high level spells also).

More dialogue from NPCs.

The romances are interesting.

The spell animations are more sophisticated... although, again, the more caractitured drawing style of BG2 doesn't appeal to me very much, and this shows up in the spell effect animations.

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: Lemernis ]