Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2005, 11:15 AM   #1
Violet
Manshoon

Wow that thing is HUGE!!! I know I heard 200+ ft. wide but was I mistaken when I heard 80 ft. DEEP?
I felt really bad for the people whose house is teetering on the edge! Watching the planters from their patio tumble into a giant hole while the rest of their home waits to follow...
Are sinkholes caused by the collapse of underground rivers or caves or both?
Either way - SCARY!!!
[img]\"http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/VioletMcKeever/AniV.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />A Man With Poetry On His Lips Also Has Wings On His Heart<br />The Harder You Run From Your Dreams, The Harder They Run After You<br />I Am Not A Human Having Spiritual Experiences, I Am A Spirit Having Human Experiences<br />Smart As A Whip; Heart Of Gold; Tough As Nails; Lost In The Woods
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Erm, Z lives in Lakeland!

OH Ziroc.....uh.. tell us your house is not on the edge of that thing!
Old 03-04-2005, 11:20 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

As I understand it, the ground below the sinkhole has eroded, washed away, or otherwise disappeared. But definitely scary...

I'd be packing up the unimportant stuff in the house right now. The important stuff would already be gone...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Pfff, Well thats just GREAT, the local news hasn't covered it yet. WONDERFUL! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Yeah, after the 4 hurricanes last year, we had like 60 of them all over the state--small mainly. They fill them with rock and dirt.

Florida IS sinking itself btw. Slow, but sinking. A small stripmall had a sinkhole open behind it, and half of the stores backs fell into it, it's fixed now, but that was 1.4 miles from us. We're on good land though. No aquifers under us.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
Stratos
Vampire

For a second there, I though Violet was calling Lakeland FL a sinkhole.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:56 AM   #6
Violet
Manshoon

Stratos LOL! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
It's good to know they have ways to fill them at least!
I wonder how we got the footage in AZ and your local news didn't show it? Someone in Tucson must have relatives there. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/VioletMcKeever/AniV.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />A Man With Poetry On His Lips Also Has Wings On His Heart<br />The Harder You Run From Your Dreams, The Harder They Run After You<br />I Am Not A Human Having Spiritual Experiences, I Am A Spirit Having Human Experiences<br />Smart As A Whip; Heart Of Gold; Tough As Nails; Lost In The Woods
Old 03-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I remember seeing one in Mexico for the first time ever, and walking up to it to gaze down into it. It was so freaking deep. This was in Mexicali, and El Niño had just hit us.

So I am stannding there, looking down into it, and then realize something terrible. There was no wall under my feet, and I was standing on about a foot of dirt that was not being held up by anything under it. The shiver that went down my spine was intense. I backed away really carefully. I don't ever want to see one ever again!
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:53 PM   #8
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Small ones open up in our fields all the time, but that's because we live near the Ohio River, and our aquifer is fairly shallow. Just fill them with rocks, though, and they're fixed.

Ours never get 80 feet deep, though. Durn.

That's a big doggone sinkhole!

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:11 PM   #9
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Violet, Can you give a link to the story?

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:36 PM   #10
Violet
Manshoon

Dang Larry_OHF! Did you have to change into dry undies after that? I think I would have wet myself LOL! I don't blame you for not wanting to see another!

Ilander
Yeah I thought 80ft deep is pretty impressive but I am still not sure if 80ft was the depth or the width in the direction opposite of the 200+. The person video taping the hole and the planters falling off the edge of the homeowner's patio didn't get too close to the edge (I don't wonder why LOL).

The University of Central Florida has a Sinkhole Research Instiute. They have a photo on their "Mission" page of one in Winter Park that is 300 feet in diameter and 110 ft deep! Now, that's a bigazz hole LOL!
http://www.cee.ucf.edu/RESEARCH/fsri/

VulcanRider,
I have no link - I saw it on the news last night KGUN9 and I think (not positive) it was during the end of the weather report if you want to contact Paul Huttner for info on where he (or the station) got the video. http://www.kgun9.com/news/ or http://www.paulhuttner.com/ Must be some weather guy - has his own web site [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

As soon as I hit the reply button I realized that I may have been watching KOLD http://www.kold.com/ or even KVOA http://www.kvoa.com/ the harder I try to remember what local ststion I hadthe TV on, the fuzzier my memory gets LOL!
KGUN is the norm but I know I had some CBS something or another on while I was playing video games last night.

[ 03-04-2005, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Violet ]