Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 03:09 AM   #1
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yeah in game a character a GM (Game master) come and talked to me and told me i had to change my name in the game because it was agains the rules??? so you must check out this page before you name your character that is in the Role Play Realms this is all about i did not know about this, anyway i got a warning because of the name so now is it changed by the GM

Who the hel* read all things before they start a game anyway? i did not have any idea that a name could be so wery important sheeezh!

Read more about it here http://www.wow-europe.com/en/policy/namingp1.html

[ 02-24-2005, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:33 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Why shouldnt they enforce the rules? They are there to be follwed, and if you break them, just becasue you didnt read them doesnt mean they dont exist.

Though I have no idea what name you used..
What name did you use?
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I read all the rules before I started playing. They are enforcing names because this is an rpg, not counter strike.

What was your name?
Old 02-24-2005, 05:17 PM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I'm gonna go take a wild guess at the name: Megabot?

I think it's perfectly normal to enforce names, as I'd really really hat to walk around with R0X0rS k1ll3r, Da_Fire_Caster and J0hnny_B_God as party members.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:00 PM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Maybe because the name has the word gm in it? Nice for the GM to tell you to change name. In RO you are banned immediately.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:35 PM   #6
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

His name was Megabotmage, as posted in some other thread here. I'm not sure what it's like for the other realms, but for the RP realms, the name hafta be fit for roleplaying. Tho the GMs seem to be ignorant fools at this, most namechanges have a good reason.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:32 PM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Ahh...it has the word " bot ". No wonder gm tells him to change the name.

Bot is a 3rd party programme which enable the character to be played without the presence of the player. It is against most mmog rules and is a bannable offense.

From my experience in other mmog. Even if the gm didn't tell you to change the name. You'll be flamed by other players when they see the word " bot " in a character name because they thought that you are using a bot. Some will even sent a screenshot of your character to the gm wanting you be banned. So consider yourself lucky to be asked to change name by a gm.

[ 02-24-2005, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 02:34 AM   #8
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yeah the name was what Gnarf say i hade that because you should recognise me if you was online anyway now is the name "Clarisoma" a level 20 Mage and i think the name is pretty cool anyway and better than the other one so i am happy with it.

AND you Kakero can stop that annoying "banning" thingy and i should be happy not to be that, this is my second "mmog" game and i have never heard about any rules like they have for names in a game before online and i have played one other game than WOW and never had any complayning about the names before, but now i know this and in the future i will make good and nice names for my characters.

[ 02-25-2005, 02:43 AM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:43 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Hehe, give the guy a break, not all of us scoured pages online for rules and regulations when we started our first mmo. I don't when I start any MMO. You are lucky if you can get me to the middle of the game manual. This is why he wasn't banned, as the GM's don't exactly expect everyone to know it regardless of what terms and conditions apply. In CoH it was a huge issue what with the marvel stuff and all but when it first happend to someone I couldn't believe it! So...this is pretty normal and really you didn't do anything "wrong" per se. It is simply the house rules in your current game.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:28 PM   #10
spydar

I think another reason is to protect things like copyright and all that. I haven't read the rules lately, but I think that using names of copyrighted characters (like using Drizzt or something) is also against the rules. that and names with profanity or racial slurs.

personaly, I think it's a great thing, maybe it's just me wanting to be a writer someday but I'm always thuroughly annoyed when people rp even in chat rooms with character names from books and stuff. there's the random name generator there if you can't think up your own.

Clarisoma is much better and more original, good name [img]smile.gif[/img]