Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-07-2001, 01:11 PM   #21
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Now, cheese grits are good! But they have to be prepared right. Other than that, grits are pretty tasteless, especially hominy ones. Big, fat corn pellets soaked in lye. Yechh!

And, yes, I'm from the "deep south" originally...I'm from Louisiana. I don't think I would ever give a newcomer (and that includes my Yankee friends!) grits as a welcome device. Start them out with something they can handle better. Grits is an acquired taste. I would hate to go to Scotland and have someone expect me to eat haggis!

Old 05-07-2001, 01:46 PM   #22
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Haggis is brilliant!! - just enjoy the taste and ignore the ingredients. The traditional accompaniments are mashed turnips and potato (oh and whisky )

------------------
Regards

Mouse
Old 05-07-2001, 01:53 PM   #23
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

Ramon, I always keep a bit of money as a souvenir when I travel (even if I'm not supposed to ). One of my most treasured items is a Romanian 2000 lei note (about 30000 lei = £1 sterling when I got it). What is cool about this particular note is that it was produced specially for the eclipse of 1999 and it is made of plastic, with see through coloured plastic bits for the planets, sun and moon. I mean how cool does currency get??

I love that note!! I have three of them at home. Last summer I studied in Europe with four Romanians and they all carried a couple of them around to show people. Looking through the 'plastic' holes is kind of like looking through 3-D glasses. Of course one of them said the notes were un-tearable (is that a word? the notes could not be torn) so that set off a 'race' to see who could tear one first (I won, found that there are tiny creases along the edge that if you start there it will tear very easily). I think they had to make them so funky looking 'cause otherwise they are totally worthless

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 05-07-2001, 02:00 PM   #24
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

A lot of whiskey, I should imagine, Mouse! Hehe! I dunno...maybe if I got tanked enough, I'd be brave enough to try it. Well, I eat oysters in New Orleans, so I can't see what could be worse than that!

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 05-07-2001).]
Old 05-07-2001, 02:14 PM   #25
Moiraine
Anubis

I am delighted to have started the whole cooking discussion ! I more than half expected to get flamed by you British guys.

I also keep money from every part of the world I have been able to put my hands on since I was a child, I have given my full collection to my kid now - the last coin that had me laughing was the Australian dollar given to him by Yorick : he keeps grumbling about people thinking that there are kangaroos hopping everywhere in Australia, but guess what is on the Australian dollar ?

------------------

The world is my oyster !
And now I have the knives to open it ...
Old 05-07-2001, 02:15 PM   #26
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Chacun a son gout - personally I don't go a lot on shellfish. I suppose it is all down to a trawlerman telling me when I was a kid that the biggest, juciest prawns were found near sewage outflows.......

------------------
Regards

Mouse
Old 05-07-2001, 02:32 PM   #27
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Mouse: I suppose you probably don't want me telling you what catfish have for dinner either, then, hmmm?

Old 05-07-2001, 02:39 PM   #28
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Mousefish?

------------------
Regards

Mouse