Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 09-12-2004, 05:57 PM   #1
Tom
Elminster

Whenever I go to certain places such as the de'arnise hold and the government district my game turns off. I think some of my AR**** files are corrupt. Whenever I reinstall and it gets to the spot where it installs certain area files it says its corrupt and continues the installation.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 06:14 PM   #2
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Try cleaning the CD and re-installing?

Alternately, make a note of which area files are corrupt (during install) and ask someone nicely to dcc them to you?
Old 09-12-2004, 08:25 PM   #3
vesselle
Hathor

some ideas [img]smile.gif[/img]

not knowing what kind of install you have and what your system specs are, you can try the easy solution first. [img]smile.gif[/img] clean out your temp, tempsave and cache folders. erase every last file from them and then restart your game. this way the game will rebuild all areas.

as far as dead spots on your cds, definitely clean them. if you see scratches, get a good disk repair set. (everyone who continues to play their old games should own one. or two.) if there aren't any visible signs, just clean them with warm water and liquid soap, using your fingertip pads very gently. let them air dry.

then if you reinstall the game, do a full install, so your game won't have to constantly read possibly damaged files off the cd.

since the game continues the installation, i'm inclined to think it's just dirt. i have 4 full BG2 collector's editions and several of my disks have a few scratches. when the game finds these ones, it reports that they are corrupt and it flat out ends the install.

finally, there's also the possibility that it's not the cds, but your cd player. have you actually cleaned that recently? you need a special cd player cleaner to do that as it is inserted to fix it.
if you've done that and still have problems, you might consider updating your cd player firmware. go to the manufacturer's site and see if there's anything new for it.

[img]smile.gif[/img] good luck!

V***V
Old 09-12-2004, 08:51 PM   #4
Tom
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by vesselle:
some ideas [img]smile.gif[/img]

not knowing what kind of install you have and what your system specs are, you can try the easy solution first. [img]smile.gif[/img] clean out your temp, tempsave and cache folders. erase every last file from them and then restart your game. this way the game will rebuild all areas.

as far as dead spots on your cds, definitely clean them. if you see scratches, get a good disk repair set. (everyone who continues to play their old games should own one. or two.) if there aren't any visible signs, just clean them with warm water and liquid soap, using your fingertip pads very gently. let them air dry.

then if you reinstall the game, do a full install, so your game won't have to constantly read possibly damaged files off the cd.

since the game continues the installation, i'm inclined to think it's just dirt. i have 4 full BG2 collector's editions and several of my disks have a few scratches. when the game finds these ones, it reports that they are corrupt and it flat out ends the install.

finally, there's also the possibility that it's not the cds, but your cd player. have you actually cleaned that recently? you need a special cd player cleaner to do that as it is inserted to fix it.
if you've done that and still have problems, you might consider updating your cd player firmware. go to the manufacturer's site and see if there's anything new for it.

[img]smile.gif[/img] good luck!

V***V
Thanks for your help I got to the point where only one area is broken and thats the Roenell estate and I can do without that so I'm good now
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote