Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2004, 07:01 PM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

(Edited title of message by Ziroc: Read my post down below. You will get no further warnings. We will no longer allow this rampant use of cuss words.)

-----------

I'm just wondering, because I'm seeing more and more outright profanity in the posts here. I know a small amount of profanity has always been acceptable, but I lot of people would use one letter followed by "****", or would use other symbols to fill in the letters they left out. And - of course - the "BIG F" is supposed to be completely off-limits - even symbolic representatins weren't allowed.

Yet, in the last two weeks, I've seen the "F" word spelled out completely at least twice (from different members) and I see a LOT of the more "everyday" profanity most people use being typed out more and more often.

I left C.E. for awhile and this "loosening up" seems to have occurred during my absence. I'm just wondering if the Mods are "letting the players play" or if the restrictions on language have been "loosened" specifically for C.E. ?

[ 05-26-2004, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]
Old 05-26-2004, 07:11 PM   #2
skywalker
Banned User

I've noticed it too, Cerek. And every time I see the "F" word used here, it makes me feel that to a small extent, IW is less special than other forums that allow such language.

I'm no better, I use the word vocally far to often, but I have never used it here. Something is lost when it appears at The IronWorks.

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:56 PM   #3
Rokenn
Galvatron

My guess is too many people are watching Deadwood on HBO
Old 05-26-2004, 11:06 PM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

It is indeed in effect, and everyone knows it. Please PM me with any further posts that have any curse words. (the bad ones). It has become so bad now that I will give no warning at all before a ban of one Month to anyone using these unnessasary words.

Clean it up folks, or be suspended or banned.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 03:08 AM   #5
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

okay, what words constitute non cuss words... can i say h*ll or bl**dy? what about arse? is there a list of slight exclamations not against the rules?
Old 05-27-2004, 03:15 AM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I expect to be suspended in short order, then. I use curse/cuss words to convey emotion or emphasis, and I shall not quit doing it. Sorry, guys, but if this means "bye bye" for TL, so be it. No disrespect intended, Z-man, but the F-word and others are a staple in my daily personal and professional life. If this forum is mean for children, then an old ass like myself has no business here anyway. If it's not meant for children, then I'll use words as I see fit, and others can whine, and you can suspend/ban me as you see fit. Cheers, as always. [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2004, 03:36 AM   #7
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I agree with you TL.

I think swearing at someone is uncalled for. Sorta the net equivalent of a physical attack. But selectively using so-called 'cuss' words here and there to give one's oratory a little bit of sass can work wonders when you're trying to make yourself noticable. I don't see them as offensive, just as... 'stirring'. Ah well. This aint my house...
Old 05-27-2004, 04:44 AM   #8
Chewbacca
Zartan

I very rarely use any sort of profanity in my postings and when I do it is deliberate and for good reason. Since I know the "F" word is and has been off-limits here at IW, I simpy use "F" to make this expression even though I do not consider it to be an offensive word in the least. I was unaware that abridged versions were off-limits and I do hope that they are not a bannable offense.

The "F" word is part of daily vocabulary in my family and culture. To expect me to totally exclude even an extremely shortened use of this expression would tempt me to find different pastures as well. So again- I do hope this is not the case.

I am curious how many forum members are actually offended by even the moderate use of an abbreviated word. Is it only a few or is it many? I know it doesn't matter since this is Ziroc's house and all, but I do hope all opinions and perspectives are considerd-not just the people who are so easily offended by a mere word.

I would favor instances of suspension for cussing taken on a case-by-case basis rather than as a blanket policy and I think more leeway should be considered for the C.E. forum.

Word of warning to those who are hurt by the "F" word-Stay the "F" away from Boston! Bostonians use the word loudly and proudly in what seems like every other sentence. I'm not that bad...yet.

[ 05-27-2004, 04:58 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 05-27-2004, 04:47 AM   #9
Chewbacca
Zartan

Here are the forum rules as they stand now on cussing-it isn't as specific as the rules implied in this thread in the sense that specific words aren't spelled out as off-limits.

Quote:
Be Clean: Adhere to decency and refrain from abusive or hateful language, while cussing isn't censored, please don't direct the words towards someone in a hateful or demeaning way. Also, Cussing 'just to be cussing' will land you with an account suspension if it becomes too much. Also, don't put an expletive in the title of your post. It will be deleted.
[ 05-27-2004, 04:58 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 05-27-2004, 05:16 AM   #10
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I'm not offended by the language. I just noticed that it seemed to be more widespread since my return to C.E. I also use profanity in r/l far more often than I should. I agree that it is sometimes necessary to convey a particularly strong emotion or point, but if you use profanity in every other sentence, then what words will you use when you REALLY want to make a point.

I find that MOST of my "strong points" can be emphasized without profanity. I also find that, the less I use it, the more IMPACT it has when I DO use it.

As for the rules here at IW, the "Big F" was outlawed a long time ago because we have so many younger members. In fact, that ban pre-dates the War Forum or C.E. It was put into effect when discussion like these could only be held in G.D. and that was one of the reasons for the ban.

But Ziroc has always allowed "moderate" use of milder cuss words. Still, whatever was in effect in the past is a moot point in light of his post in this thread.

My point with this thread honostly was not to "stir things up". I just wanted some clarification. I took a break from C.E. for several weeks and I noticed that the language was more pervasive since my return. I honostly thought that - due to the nature of this forum and the discussions here - the restrictions may have been "loosened" slightly for this forum only. But that isn't the case according to Ziroc - and it is his house.