Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2003, 03:21 PM   #1
Heatmiser
Dungeon Master

I just wanted to ask someone to compare this game to NWN, Wizardry 8 and/or BGII (for 3 examples). The bottom line- is it worth buying. Things like character development, plot, non-linear play and sheer size of the world to explore are all factors that sell me on a new game.
Thanks for the input.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:46 PM   #2
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

Yes, it is one of the most stunning rpgs around and it has all of the factors you mentioned. Now go get it.
Rimjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 03:54 PM   #3
Vedran
Lord Soth

Character development: Nice, although you get really too powerful as the game progresses. Skills are raised by usage, not by distributing some level-up points.
Plot: Nice, nothing world-shaking, but it is nice. It is comparable to BGII concerning the depth.
Non-linear play: Morrowind is a synonym for non-linear. You can roam the wilderness for days (real time) and solve numerous quests, completely forgetting about the main plot. An A+.
Sheer size: Again a big argument for buying Morrowind. The game world is the biggest I've ever seen.

I recommend the game, although there are some drawbacks, such as some bugs, crashing to Windows and the feeling of being lost at the beggining.
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 04:03 PM   #4
Mordenheim
Elminster

I just beat NWN single player and a few mods. It was nice but I want something more. I just bought this and tribunal. Should be a blast from what I hear around. The place is alive and breathing from my first hour
Mordenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 10:27 PM   #5
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Morrowind is more of a world all its own, you can loose yourself here. Your in a game that let you go anywhere at anytime and do what ever you want for as long as you want and still there is within the world a major quest to undo a vast and powerful evil, hundreds of caves and dungeons to find and explore with lots of treasure to find. Then just when you think the game is over and you have betten the main quest, you find that the world goes on and there is still lots to explore and many other quests to do.
after everything I have said I have only touched the game on the nose and there is still hundreds of mods to add to the game and The Game Makers at Bethesda softworks have two offical add on expanions for Morrowind 1st "Tribunal" that add about 60 more hours to the game if you do all the side quests and then in june the 2nd Expansion to the game "Bloodmoon" which you will be able to become a Werewolf at will with maybe another 100 hrs if you do all the quests ( this time limit is a guess from everything I've read).
What this all boils down to is, I would buy this game again at twice the price.
OH there are two Giant MOD's in the works made by players like you and I that are almost as large as the Morrowind main game is and also there is (1)one MOD out that is almost 200 MB in size that I have heard very good reviews on so YES GO buy this game, Today you'll thank me later.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:51 AM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

yes, this game is worth buying. The graphic is very very beutiful and life like. the sound effect is very very cool too. The freedom that this game offer is remarkable, you can do anything you want. wanna be a mass murderer? sure go ahead. Wanna be a law abiding citizen? be my guest. [img]smile.gif[/img]

also, you can go 1st person or 3rd person if you like. that way you don't have to make yourself very dizzy if 1st person is what you don't like. The spell system is not like in other rpg. In morrowind after buying a spell from a spell merchant you can use it to create ultra super duper powerful spell that you like. Also in morrowind you can enchant your items to be a very very powerful item. now that's cool.

another good thing is that you can create some plugin or download plugin if you wanna add somemore to the game. now this will make your game really last very very long.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:33 AM   #7
Vedran
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimsomBlade:
I would buy this game again at twice the price.
I would gladly sell it to you at twice the price. I'm sure we can come to an agreement [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] .

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
In morrowind after buying a spell from a spell merchant you can use it to create ultra super duper powerful spell that you like. Also in morrowind you can enchant your items to be a very very powerful item. now that's cool.
Those super duper spells will take all your spell points in one casting. And the most powerful item I've made is not very powerful, to be honest. Enchanting is not so good as I thought it would be (but that is only a small part of the game).
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:34 AM   #8
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yes, morrowind is all these things and more. The single most impressive feature i found in morrowind is the way the designers built the engine. It is literally made to be modded. I can think of no other rpg that lets you expand upon the existing world us much as morrowind. I currently have no less than twenty mods installed and running whenever i play. And i'm sure there are people who play with even more. Bethesda has set a standard for rpgs to conform to. Kudos to them [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] .

My only gripe with the game is the lack of depth of atmosphere. True, it is a beautiful, beautiful world with amazing attention to detail but it all seems so stale. The only things that happen in the game world are centered around your character. There's a HUGE infrastructure for political and religious power struggles between the several major guilds and factions but nothing ever happens behind your back. Likewise, there is amazing potential for in depth social interaction with the thousands of characters you'll meet, but from start to finish, each person will be in the exact same spot doing the exact same thing - nothing! But maybe i'm just being picky. You won't find these features in any other rpg either.

Highly recommended.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:17 AM   #9
B_part
Quintesson

The only two faults of Morrowind are its system requirements and the fact that you get too powerful too fast.

Apart from that, the game is huge, non linear, complex in even the most subtle details: there's literature, for instance, and at least 4 architectural styles, and three different cults, and so much more... go buy it.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:52 PM   #10
Heatmiser
Dungeon Master

Thanks to all of you for your replies! With such reviews it will be a difficult one to resist. I will definitely keep it on my list of future purchases.