Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 03-24-2005, 03:21 AM   #1
Target
Red Dragon

Is it possible to build a Monk Barbarian? I am hoping to take advantage of the Monks and Bar’s movement bonus and get a really fast character.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:26 AM   #2
Zink Whistlefly

The movement rate boost would be nice, but you won't be able to advance as a Monk when starting as a barbarian or vice versa because of the lawful alignment restriction of the barbarian.

Your best bet would be to get as many levels in barbarian as you feel you need, and then try and be as lawful as possible to unlock the monk class (or start as monk and veer towards chaos). At least that's how I see it working, but someone else will hopefully have some more insight for you!

[ 03-24-2005, 04:27 AM: Message edited by: Zink Whistlefly ]
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:54 AM   #3
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I'm afraid that's the best option available, and it would be easier to start the monk, then try to get the barb lvls later on. It's much easier to be chaotic, than lawful.
Edit: Something that occurs to me: If your looking for a very fast char, then just build the monk, and get a haste item. A lvl 40 monk with haste has a movement rate that is almost equal to dm speed.

[ 03-24-2005, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: robertthebard ]
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:06 AM   #4
Target
Red Dragon

Thanks for that Zink and RtB.
Dose anyone know what feats these 2 classes get for 'free'. I know that the Monk gets cleave and imp. Unarmed strike and level 1, Deflect arrows level 2 and both knockdowns at level 6. Do they get any others, and dose the Barbarian get any?
Also if I need another monk level after swapping alignments is the a 'cheating' way to change back to Lawful for a level then back again?
Cheers

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Old 03-24-2005, 01:27 PM   #5
javan
Zhentarim Guard

Your second question is the easiest so I will answer it first... There is a program called LETO will will allow you to alter your character in many ways. Try looking for it at nwvault.com

Barbarians get the following feats:
(1) Barbarian Fast Movement
Barbarian Rage
(2) Uncanny Dodge
(11)Damage Reduction
(15)Greater Rage

His/her Uncanny Dodge goes up every few levels along with the damage reduction and the number of times he/she can rage per day.

Monks get a LOT of feats:
(1) Cleave
Evasion
Flurry of Blows
Improved Unarmed Strike
Monk AC Bonus
Stunning Fist
(2) Deflect Arrows
(3) Monk Speed
Still Mind
(5) Purity of Body
(6) (Improved) Knockdown
(7) Wholeness of Body
(9) Improved Evasion
(10) Ki Strike +1
(11) Diamond Body
(12) Diamond Soul
(13) Ki Strike +2
(15) Quivering Palm
(16) Ki Strike +3
(18) Empty Body
(20) Perfect Self

Check the manual, I might have missed a few...
Old 03-24-2005, 05:23 PM   #6
Stratos
Vampire

Barbarians only moves around 10% faster. Monks can get fast enough so there's no real point to add Barbarian level for the speed bonus alone. The Uncanny Dodge that Barbarians get at lv. 2 is much more useful for a Monk.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:52 AM   #7
Target
Red Dragon

Cheers, thanks for that.
I have been thinking of starting as a barbarian then by doing good deeds i.e. not taking payment in chap 1 of the OC and helping those 2 people out of the prison district. I think that will work.
So my next question is how many barbarian levels should I take, I'm thinking 4. That should take care of the prologue and a bit of chap. 1.
Also if I'm taking 4 levels what feats should I take?
I want to build a Dex based monk/bar. Not decided weather to be a human or half-orc yet.
Cheers

Old 04-19-2005, 03:11 PM   #8
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

I just completed NWN with a 17th level monk wearing boots of speed (essentially permanent haste spell) and it can outrun anything I have encountered so far, so unless you want the barbarian for other reasons, the monks are already pretty fast.

BTW, I am not sure if doing good deeds and refusing rewards will shift the barbarian towards lawful. In my gaming experience, refusing rewards shifts the alignment towards good, but the lawful-chaotic balance is unaffected.
Witchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:08 AM   #9
javan
Zhentarim Guard

As far as I know the Original Campaign does not have any Lawful <--> Chaotic alignment shifts. [img]graemlins/erm.gif[/img]

If you are looking to get the Uncanny Dodge feat then try a few levels of Rogue with your Monk. [img]smile.gif[/img]
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:22 AM   #10
Target
Red Dragon

I have to admit I cheated a little, instead of doing the prologue I created a level 4 barb, then changed his alignment to be able to level up as a monk. Now I've finally got my first Monk level under my belt, things are much easier.