Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 12-06-2000, 02:59 PM   #1
lost7boy

I bought this game and everytime i leave the city and try to play the game shuts down and throws me the the desktop.
I have:
Amd k6-2 3d-now 500mhz
rage 128 gl sd AGP card
128 ram
i should meet all the min requirements...please help i got this as a gift for my 13year old and installed to make sure there were no problems, well there is a big one. Feel free to email me @ robsta@samlink.com
Old 12-06-2000, 05:51 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

What OS are you running??

There are several threads about problems with running with Win2000 and some others about running off the 3d cards. Can you run in software mode?

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2000, 07:41 PM   #3
xenotoca

If you are running win 2000 this is the main problem with towns. The gamme was never designed to run under W2000 which is not designed for games but is an upgrade for NT. There is a workaround by decompressing the AVI files. If this is your problem post back and I will find the thread with the site to decompress the files and push it back to you. Also if this is your problem I would look at getting Windows 98 or ME as these are designed for home computers.
Wyv is also correct asking you to try changing the Video option to software mode as there are so many different 3d cards out there. Software mode is excellent and on a system like yours should present no problems with frame rate ect.People blame the game were in fact it is often the software drivers for the cards that do not fully comply with the Direct X rules. Another source of trouble is the mainboard AGP drivers also nor conforming to the rules. Check the web sites of the card and board manufacturs to see if there are later drivers for your card and board.
Old 12-06-2000, 08:36 PM   #4
xenotoca

Just another thought. It is possible to have a bad install, especially if you had a virus checker running during the install. Can you uninstall the game or does it tell you the uninstall log does not exist (100% sign of a bad install) and you cannot uninstall the game. If so Report back and we will guide you hopefully.
Old 12-07-2000, 04:25 AM   #5
carg
The Magister

Hi,
Somewhere I read a post about DW Bradley himself explaning something about crashes, but now I can't find it anymore.
There seems to be a problem with the windows swap file being too small, so set it to at least 300Mb, or if it's not fixed size make sure the harddisk has the same space available.
Sometimes bringing the resolution down to 640x480, or switching to software mode will help.
Further generic advice: make sure you have the latest drivers for your hardware, close all other programs when running W&W, check for virusses but then disable the background scanning.
Note also that programs that pop up, like schedulers, agenda's etc. will let the game crash too, because the game can't cope with going to the background.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote