Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2001, 05:34 AM   #41
Moiraine
Anubis

Hey, hey, everybody, just cool down !!!

I come back to the Forum for the first time in the new millenium, and what do I find ? A bunch of barbarians fighting about religion !

First : BG II is a game. Just a game. Not reality, men ! You can play it the way you want, either play a character close to your own beliefs and personnality, or play someone very different, your choice. Hey, RPG involves ROLEPLAYING !!!

Second : Everybody, remember that Lil'man is only 17 ! He will grow up and learn, he will. Besides, what kind of a person were you at 17, yourself ? Tolerance, and thinking before talking, are NOT the strongest spots of youth, or have I missed something ? BUT enthusiasm is, he showed it. Besides, he did not want to insult anyone, he said so himself repeatedly, and you keep pouncing him.

Third : A true neutral character is the most difficult to play, even harder than an evil character (that's assuming that there is no true evil person here, right ?), because as a mere human, you are always tempted to take sides. Or as a true neutral person, you must NOT do that, but instead always consider all sides of every event and every action you may perform. Tough job it is. Remember also, all animals are true neutrals : a carnivorous animal does not kill birds by pleasure, or perversion, but only because it is his nature and he has to eat, that's all.

Fourth : Maybe Cernd was for something in his perception of Druids. Cernd is a character that I do not like at all, and I do not want to see him again ever, because I do not want anything to do with people who have grand ideas but are unable to fulfill their own human responsabilities with their own family. And he did that twice with his child ! As a woman, I have seen too much of grown up males belonging to political parties, always ready to spend their evenings changing the world, but who do you think takes care of THEIR children at the same time ?

Fifth : Too much people have died, in the present and in the past, all over the world, because of various religious beliefs. Because a fair lot of religious people think that only they know what other people should do. (No, Yorick, I did not say 'all' religions, but a fair lot of monotheist ones). So please no more slapping !

Oh, well, I think I lost a bit my temper myself. It happens from time to time. Nothing like a hot argument to keep healthy. I think I will open a poll-thread 'What is your real alignment'.
I think mine is Chaotic Good.
Then I 'll just sit and enjoy watching everybody yell and fight and yell again.

Everybody have a nice millenium.
Old 01-03-2001, 05:43 AM   #42
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Yorick mate I'm only joking btw, i actually agree with your viewpoint as i expressed earlier!
Old 01-03-2001, 06:06 AM   #43
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

(hangs head in shame)

Ok. I didn't know he was only 17.

Glad you're back Moraine. I missed your conversation and I suppose I looked for interesting chats in the wrong arena.

Anyhow in my own defense I immediately apologised for my (censored) swearing reply. You can't take back on this board. Also I only slapped him in jest...lil'man wrote
"Slap me if I'm wrong.." so I did!

Regarding religion, I'm actually very Christian in real life and actually enjoy being challenged as it clarifies truth even further. I'd never try and push my view as absolute truth to be imposed on others, as I allow for the possibility that my own perceptions and views can be wrong. It doesn't mean that I don't hold them strongly however. As I stated earlier I've checked out some of the alternatives and found this walk to be the best one for me.

As far as regious debate goes this was pretty tame, as I was actually trying to defend the game of Ad&d and it's limited but entertaining method of trying to allow for differing moral codes.

Viva la difference!

Sorry if I made you mad Moiraiane, and thanks for the endorsement Memnoch.

Maybe lil'man should change his name to Red Rag and I'll change mine to Bull.

(shuffles meekly off)
Old 01-03-2001, 06:41 AM   #44
Armisael

I pretty much saw that coming from the start of this bloody thread. This argument shits me for the same reason, Moiraine. To be fair, the only post that really wound me up was the first one; the rest I don't particularly care about. But there's no way I'm going to condone it just because this guy's seventeen. Adolescance isn't any excuse to post something like that. For ■■■■'s sake, he sounded like Hitler!

Old 01-03-2001, 06:45 AM   #45
One ANGRY lil' man

Yorick there was more to that message I couldn't complete because my system was shutting down(literaly) I underestimated the power of some sleeping pills. And I just felt that you where making me look like an idoit by using a subject that subject being star wars which I know little about sure I know lines and such but I have not delved into it enough to read about pantheism. I didn't even know what pantheism was. I just never knew there where chaotic good charries in the harpers now I can refute my views.

Old 01-03-2001, 06:46 AM   #46
One ANGRY lil' man

I'm 17? Well, no I'm err uhh 15 its kinda in my profile. I'm going to read up on pantheism.

Yorick I was going to E-mail you but I can't so could you tell me about pantheism the dictionary gave a vague crappy explanation.

Old 01-03-2001, 07:07 AM   #47
Moiraine
Anubis

Hi Yorick.

I did not chat a lot last week because I was in Holiday and my Internet connection at home is rather slow (20 seconds to refresh any board page ...) and I get disconnected all the time (I hate 'intelligent' softwares !) and I did not have much time because there were a lot of people at home all the time. So I popped up from time to time but I did not talk much.

Her, back at my office, connect to Internet is a dream, and my work load goes up and down all the time. Today, all my bosses are still in holiday, and I have not much to do. Tomorrow may be different though ...

I would not say that an opinion is wrong in the absolute, I would say that any belief is right and true for some people and dead wrong for others. Everybody struggles to find his own ... balance ! (Yeah, it comes back to that), which is different for different people. Besides, a world entirely filled with only one kind of persons would be a real nightmare (Brrr !).

Don't worry about making me mad ! I come from a mediterranean family, and we all enjoy a good yell about opinions all the time, just for the fun of it. And we are calling each other bird names all the time, and love each other all the more !

It does not matter for me in what religion my friends believe in. What matters is if they feel good with their beliefs or not. I had a male friend years ago who was Christian and gay at the same time, and he had a lot of trouble reconciling the two. And I was very unhappy seeing him try to date girls and telling me thet he just could not make love to them. I really tried to help him by telling him he should accept being gay, and I do not know if I succeeded or failed because after this period he met a man he fell in love with, and he just wanted not to see me ever again because I reminded me of bad times. 10 years after, this is still a sad memory for me.

And sometimes humanity just makes me mad. For example, the jewish people of Israel, who suffered 6 million deaths during the second war because of intolerance, and still did not understand the lesson, and just reproduce the same slaughter with the Palestinians !

And you people in Australia. Maybe I do miss something (and if I do please tell me), but how is it that with so much space for so few people (There are as many people in the entire Australia as in Paris and its suburbs !), it was not enough for the white people and the Aborigens ?
(Not you personnally, Yorick, of course, but I really would like to understand that.)

I do know that sometimes her in our old european countries a fair lot of Christians can be prone to intolerance. Maybe it is different in your country, without all the weight on the past behind. In France, there is a lot of creeping and not so creeping racism between people of different religions and ways of life, maybe because France is a tiny country and all people are compelled to live together.

And, if you are interested in religion and tolerance, I must revise the mail I sent you last night : you HAVE to play Ultima 7, really. Don't tell you why, don't want to spoil it for you.

See ya.
Old 01-03-2001, 07:17 AM   #48
Moiraine
Anubis

Yo, Armisael !

IT IS A GAME !!!

(Wow, it feels good shouting from time to time).

You can do everything in a game. I myself have always been astonished that in 10 years of gaming I have made a real genocide of monsters-that-do-not-exist, and in real life, I am unable to hurt any animal. (Yes, even bugs and spiders, I put them delicately on a newspaper and open the window and put them outside is all).

Curious as I am, I think I will try to roleplay an Evil character and really try to understand what is going on in his head.

Really, in real life, do you think that he would let someone rot in a cage only because he does not agree with all his or her beliefs ?!?

I think he talked before thinking, and THAT is a trait of youth.
Besides, he abundantly apologized several times, so he cannot be THAT bad.

I must apologize myself, by the way, he is only 15 ...
Old 01-03-2001, 07:59 AM   #49
Armisael

Yeah, I'm fully aware BG2 is a game, but his comment was only barely game related. He was saying how he felt about the beliefs of druids and harpers, and followed it up by saying he'd kill them all? Oh, that's fantastic. I've read it five times and I'm still getting the same interpretation out of it. This thread just shouldn't have been started in the first place.

Old 01-03-2001, 08:10 AM   #50
Zoratorak
Welcomed New User

yo moriain ... howz it going. im also 17 (well since he admitted that he is 15) its pretty close age. anyway its nice to know that your like playing mother to everyone (hey you sound like one) {dont kill me!!!}. well im just saying that all of our arguments are somewhat subdued and all of us are keeping an openmind to the oppositions side of logic. they are even emailing all the harcore details... anyway ... what im saying is that GOOD FOR YOU ALL to remain civilize in an admist of arguments. and i congratulate all of you if i can give you all a pat on the back... (pat pat)

ps: its a good thing its not like the guy ... err.. whos that guy again memooch ? that everyone hated because of his foul language and disrespect to his elders?? oh well... at least he gone for now...