Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 03:18 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

In NWN1, if you wanted to change your main character in your SP game, you would simply load up your saved game in MP. You would then be given the option to select a new character to use if you wished. You could then save the MP game with the new character and re-load it as a SP game.

But in NWN2 it's not as easy as that, because this process no longer works. Now you have to transfer your SP save into the Multiplayer folder using Windows, and then load this game in MP (otherwise there is nothing in the LP save game list). But it still doesn't give you an option to select a new character - it still uses the old character from the original SP save.

Any tips?? I don't want to have to start over from scratch just because I picked a gimped character.

[ 11-13-2006, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Tsk tsk! Why is this topic not labeled as NWN2? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah Mem, you rebel.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Oops. :embarassed:

BTW, it's bloody hard to change a character in NWN2. Make sure you pick the right class/es because once you get into it and find out you are gimped, you are GIMPED. I still haven't worked out how to do it easily despite spending nearly a day at the Bio forums. I've tried the following:

1. cut and paste my SP save into the MP folder and opening it in MP - no luck, it won't let you pick a new character

2. deleting the 3 player files from the SP save game, copying this onto the MP folder and loading - you end up creating a new character but lose all your quests and journal, plus you spawn in random places

3. to get your journal entries back, you have to use the GFF Editor to copy the VarTable entries from the playerlist.ifo file in the old SP save into the same file in the new MP save (but it doesn't always work).

In short, it's a pain in the arse. Just make sure you're happy with your characters before you get too far into the story as there won't be much flexiblity to change things halfway through (I suppose they were a bit like BG2 in this respect ).

Old 11-14-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Well, I eventually managed to do it, while keeping my journal entries, but it's an extremely painful and convoluted process involving using multiplayer with the standalone server, and lots of frigging around with my router, firewall and Windows. I haven't the energy to post what I did now, suffice to say that it is critical that you're happy with your classes or characters before you get too far.

If anyone wants to do something similar then I will post what I did.