Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 11-04-2006, 06:20 PM   #31
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Yeah, drag the feat onto your quickbar, there. You should have read the manual. And the UI is as slick as NWN1. I provided numerous reasons why the UI is the same, yet you say "it isn't". So somehow the different graphics are blinding you into not seeing that, or there is something wrong with how you understand the game. I can't help the fact the game needs some hardware, but it isn't overly demanding, as is proven by my own pc which is just above the min specs. I'm sorry your 6200 card is too old to run it. You should have known in my opinion though.

And yes, me and my wife had absolutely NO problem with the controls right from the start of the game. In fact, it feels smoother and more responsive than NWN1. It controls the same (middle mouse button for camera) and your character doesn't suddenly get bumped away when mobbed by goblins, incurring AoO's in the process. Also, the modes work way better than before, instead of going off when you move somewhere, it stays on until combat is over or you tell it to. In other words, get over your beef with the controls, it doesn't make it a bad game, or a bad running game.

Long story short, I think you are treating this game unfairly. Maybe the controls need some getting used to, if that's the case.

Now, time for some praising? It's the first game in six years that gave me the 'RPG feeling' just like BG1 did. The dialog, story, engine, athmosphere, graffiks, character devolpment and creation are all very detailed and variable, making this game a spot of light in a time of darkness. Finally a game shows some hint of love for gaming instead of trying to make cash.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:16 PM   #32
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well, they are trying to make cash since Atari is behind it and they pushed a release before christmas. I will say the OC has far more in it than NWN's 1 does and Atari didn't stop them from making a good game. Because, yes I think it is a good game but I think it was left somewhat unfinished/untested.

I disagree about the controls as you know. And I don't think slick would be a word to describe this UI. It's just simple things like a feeling of overall sluggishness and awkwardness when navigating the interface that negates any new neat tricks the thing has to offer. Then there's the AI too. My chars bump into themselves quite a bit, and the pathing is just horrible. If you use the point and click method to travel prepare for trouble. They can't navigate around most things at all and sometimes just get stuck there. I use driving mode which is in no way perfect but it's the only thing I can tolerate right now. Sometimes characters don't bother following simply because they feel like it.

Plus, everything in the UI is horribly oversized with no options to shrink anything. The manual isn't overly helpful and some parts are outdated. They upped the system requirements recently you know, in light of the problems people were having. The graphics are okay but hardly worth the strain it puts on your system...I mean please, look at Oblivion and Dark Messiah.

My point is while I don't think we're treating the game unfairly at all. I am still trying to work with it amn't I? Keep in mind there is the danger of becoming "fanboi" and ignoring problems when they've been clearly outlined by the player community and then the designers themselves. I am the first to hope they fix it so I can get on and play the thing properly.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #33
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
You were basically saying that you didn't care how good it ran, it was bad anyway just because you decided it was.

Anyway, I get about 20-30 all around. I still can't see why you're complaining if you get 30+.
Don't start agruing with people JrK.. You are one of the *RARE* few that its running smooth for. Maybe Tymora is smiling on your copy, huh?

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:13 PM   #34
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Could be, I do have the Divine Favour feat.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:23 PM   #35
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Oh yes, the general public!

We love how they think Oblivion is teh best RPG evar!

I still can't believe this. NWN2 has exactly the same UI as NWN1 but with some cute edges and artsy colours and designs. They finally decided to spruce up NWN1's boring black rectangles.
Heheh, NO it is not the same UI at all. They gutted the entire GUI and replaced it with a lagging, stuttering buggy coded interface. It's ALL XML now guy. It's all new. And since they suck at it, every click has a delay, like the game has to ponder each click to see if it can do it.

The UI Graphics look unprofessional. My cat could design a better UI in his catbox!

NWN1's layout was uniform, the colors and designs were uniform as well. And probably one of the best, most responsive UI's I have seen in many years.

If you like the GUI, well good. It does need loads of work though.

[ 11-05-2006, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

Old 11-04-2006, 08:26 PM   #36
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

LOL! If it was the same as NWN1, you could duel weild on the coldbar (was hotbar, but this bar sucks, so its cold now) [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

My copy arrived today, but I am not installing it until they get the damn crit rebuild up.

Did you know that most of the monsters are in LWO format? lol.. That is LIGHTWAVE 3D. A very old and lame 3D app no one uses anymore.

I *could* import all the monsters into NWN1. muhahahah....

Old 11-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #37
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

You are joking right? That you could with the software you have at your fingertips now actually backwards integrate some of the new creations from the new game into the old one? Is that even theoretically possible? And if so, would that not mean you could access the models in yet another program and see how they were constructed (thereby making it able for you to render new versions of the monsters you already HAVE designed and import THOSE creations back into NeverWinter Nights 2)...
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:24 PM   #38
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, drag the feat onto your quickbar, there. You should have read the manual. And the UI is as slick as NWN1. I provided numerous reasons why the UI is the same, yet you say "it isn't". So somehow the different graphics are blinding you into not seeing that, or there is something wrong with how you understand the game. I can't help the fact the game needs some hardware, but it isn't overly demanding, as is proven by my own pc which is just above the min specs. I'm sorry your 6200 card is too old to run it. You should have known in my opinion though.

And yes, me and my wife had absolutely NO problem with the controls right from the start of the game. In fact, it feels smoother and more responsive than NWN1. It controls the same (middle mouse button for camera) and your character doesn't suddenly get bumped away when mobbed by goblins, incurring AoO's in the process. Also, the modes work way better than before, instead of going off when you move somewhere, it stays on until combat is over or you tell it to. In other words, get over your beef with the controls, it doesn't make it a bad game, or a bad running game.

Long story short, I think you are treating this game unfairly. Maybe the controls need some getting used to, if that's the case.

Now, time for some praising? It's the first game in six years that gave me the 'RPG feeling' just like BG1 did. The dialog, story, engine, athmosphere, graffiks, character devolpment and creation are all very detailed and variable, making this game a spot of light in a time of darkness. Finally a game shows some hint of love for gaming instead of trying to make cash.
I don't think anyone is criticising the storyline or gameplay, Sperov. I'm criticising the technical aspects of it, which I am having a problem with. I had to reinstall the game three times before I was able to get it to a playable condition. If you're not having a problem with it, good on ya mate. I don't know why you're personally feeling defensive about problems other people are having. I'm not criticising you for having no problems, I don't see why you should make an assumption about my own personal experience, which is personal, after all. Your comment "you should have known" is unnecessary, in my opinion, and a bit petty.

Also, as Z said, it is not the same interface. And since you made an assumption that I hadn't read the manual, I'll make an assumption of my own and say that if you had been reading up on the Bio forums during development, you'd have known that. For a start, they implemented action-free selection, which was not in the original game.

It's not all bad - I have praised it on its merits, and criticised it on its merits. In fact I was one of the people who was NOT criticising it before it came out, so chill out. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-04-2006, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:55 PM   #39
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Mozenwrathe:
You are joking right? That you could with the software you have at your fingertips now actually backwards integrate some of the new creations from the new game into the old one? Is that even theoretically possible? And if so, would that not mean you could access the models in yet another program and see how they were constructed (thereby making it able for you to render new versions of the monsters you already HAVE designed and import THOSE creations back into NeverWinter Nights 2)...
Oh yeah, its very easy to do. You know that Nature Giant in EFU? That came from World of Warcraft! [img]smile.gif[/img] Although I had to cut it into parts, change the actual pivot points and fix some stuff, its easy to do.

I just wanted to see if it could be done. Yup! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Its just strange they used lightwave... its rarely ever used in the gaming industry these days. They use Maya or 3DS Max mostly.

Prolly used it because their animation node system is integrated into another app called 'Granny 3D'. LOL! Granny==slow, old... yep, that describes the NWN2 engine.

And since Granny3D is proprietary, you can't modify it, and thus, cannot make new monsters for NWN2. (and no one has cracked the code of granny3d to make a plugin or conversion program for it..) ugh.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:33 PM   #40
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
quote:
Oh yes, the general public!

We love how they think Oblivion is teh best RPG evar!

I still can't believe this. NWN2 has exactly the same UI as NWN1 but with some cute edges and artsy colours and designs. They finally decided to spruce up NWN1's boring black rectangles.
Heheh, NO it is not the same UI at all. They gutted the entire GUI and replaced it with a lagging, stuttering buggy coded interface. It's ALL XML now guy. It's all new. And since they suck at it, every click has a delay, like the game has to ponder each click to see if it can do it.

The UI Graphics look unprofessional. My can could design a better UI in his catbox!

NWN1's layout was uniform, the colors and designs were uniform as well. And probably one of the best, most responsive UI's I have seen in many years.

If you like the GUI, well good. It does need loads of work though.
[/QUOTE]Yes, exactly. The old one was so responsive compared to this crap. I could click repeatedly on bars and have 3 spells queued in a second. Here in NWN2 I am lucky to get one. Try healing your party with indivudual spells- it's horrible. I could even duel and PvP for fun in NWN's 1 arena mods but there is NO WAY I could even hope for competent matches against other players with this game since it's hard enough to do it against the computer AI currently.