Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Okay, I am royally pissed off now. Suddenly, out of the blue, a bug has developed: after a few seconds of the game running, it will skip and then proceed to lag ridiculously, to the point where playing the game is akin to banging one's head on a brick wall (which is what I feel like doing now). I am unpatched, as TotLM won't download on my computer, and I didn't think I'd need it since I've never encountered a bug that has "developed" before. Any help would be appreciated.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 07:42 PM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

That's strange. As you've been playing it all this time, I doubt it's a bug that's suddenly developed. I'm assuming that you haven't fiddled with the framerate, cache size, or various other graphics options, right? Do you have enough memory, etc.?

I'd recommend the usual - clean out the cache and reinstall.

I'm not exactly a tech wizard though, so maybe someone has something else to recommend.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:08 PM   #3
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks, I don't know how I would suddenly "lose" memory, and I haven't been fooling with the settings. I am reluctant to reinstall, however. I personally am a tad annoyed at losing all data, but the real problem is my younger brother has just gotten his first party to Malavon, and is heartbroken at the idea of losing his progress. Thanks anyway.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:28 PM   #4
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I just ran a defragmentor, to no success. However, I discovered something that may give a clue to the problem (though not to me): If I minimize the game and then restore it, I get another few seconds of normal play until it goes back to lagging. Will this shed any light on the situation?
Old 03-14-2005, 04:26 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Where is your party in the game? TotL fixes a lag problem on the Burial Isle.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:06 AM   #6
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I hadn't gotten to Burial Island yet, but oh well, cause IT FIXED ITSELF! Yay. As quickly as it started, the lag has disappeared. Happy me.

Thanks anyway!
Old 03-14-2005, 10:54 AM   #7
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

As Aerich said try clearing out the cache, the areas will take longer to load when you go back into them, but it's fixed lag -> crash issues for me, and does not require you to reinstall the game.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:25 AM   #8
ZFR
Legion Symbol

btw, why wont Totl download?
I understand if your on dialup it might take too long but it is worth it.
You might consider getting it from Kazaa if its still operational. That's where I got mine from (I was on dial-up then).
Old 03-15-2005, 04:32 AM   #9
lost prophet
Drow Warrior

Kazaa is still operational but theres a fee now for downloading things off it. This is due to the fact that the govenrmnet considered it illegel as its likre pirate copying songs or whatever. There are a few new ones out that i use that you might look at which are both legal, while still the same thing the producers have found a loop hole in the law which lets them. so check em out www.soulseek.com and the other ones "limewater" however the adress escapes me.