Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 12-15-2004, 08:09 PM   #1
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Who uses them? I touched on this topic in the "say hi to the newbie" thread.

With every race getting the power to take as many classes as they want, what is the point of only using one of them?

Barbarian: add fighter levels
Bard: add sorceror levels
Cleric: fighter, paladin, monk
Druid: fighter, ranger, monk
Figher: anything!
Mage: ranger, rogue, paladin
Monk: cleric, druid, paladin
Paladin: anything other that a druid, bard, or barbarian
Ranger: anything good
Sorceror: paladin, bard
Theif: anything

Why keep them single?
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:05 AM   #2
shadowolf03
Drow Warrior

I did this once in Baldur's Gate II, i multi classed a sorceror and kensai to make a versatile dual katana wielding mage. Its supremely difficult at first but once you get a good enough AC and some higher level spells to remember, you'll start feeling the POWER!
Old 12-16-2004, 02:29 AM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

Not that I'm an expert or anything...

Simply put? I'd say the attraction is focused power over versatility. More to the point, it might be characterized as focusing on a role - not that difficult in a party of 6. I might, for example, take a single-class cleric if I didn't have any other healers or spell buffers. Same deal with other casters - I'm using a single-classed sorceress right now without any other arcane casters, and I'm too focused on getting her levels up to multi with anything else. So far she hasn't been killed for lack of HP, so I see no point in giving her other classes. I nerfed her Str, so there's no point in giving her any class that depends on melee skills. It's also probably not a great idea to multi a monk or spellcaster in the early going that has an ECL penalty.

But realistically, I agree with you, in that you can gain quite a few advantages with even a single level of another class. In most cases, it is advantageous to delay reaching full power in one class to gain the perks of another for little risk, even for ECL races. This is particularly true if going to HoF, as that extra level or two won't make much difference. Even in the examples above I see a lot of value in taking a couple levels in something else - the sorceress could get 2 levels in rogue for evasion and reduced cost for talking skills. The monk could take levels (at the beginning or end) in dreadmaster.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:27 AM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Personally, I prefer single-class characters, with as few class additions as possible. And I try to be a roleplayer instead of a powergamer, so I'm not about to make a paladin with 4 Intelligence or that sort of thing.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:27 AM   #5
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

As a roleplayer, you'll be stuck to single classes with the optional prestige classes anyway. You have a character in mind with a certain mindset, not that many characters have a mindset to divide skills. Especially not if that character is a spellcaster. In any case, a spellcaster is better left unmulticlassed, because you'll be behind in spell levels.

PErsonally I abhor characters like a svirfneblin monk/paladin/rogue, because they simply would not exist in the realms. Especially not with the 3 int people like to give them. (and no, I'm not telling you not to play like that)
Old 12-16-2004, 11:09 AM   #6
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

What I'm saying is that from a purely powergaming point of view, are there any single classes that are better than multi classes?

With sorcerors, they may lose a few spells by multiclassing to paladin for 2 levels, but they get a minor quick heal, a massive saving throw bonus, minor fighting skills for desperate fights, and extra stats for the CS quest.

With mages, there is the same philosophy. If they have a high DEX and INT, then why not make them also your party's rogue? While your at it, give them a ranger level for dual wielding and paladin levels for more stats. Happy Tensering!

I realise that they aren't realistic. That doesn't mean they arent powerful. Can a single class mage lvl 30 beat a rogue1/ranger1/paladin2/mage26? Most likely not.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:36 PM   #7
Nightowl2
Galvatron

I don't do a lot of multi-classing. In IWD2, I did multi my fighters with a few levels of rogue to get the special "save with no damage" if you make the roll. That came in handy. Otherwise, party members stayed pretty much with the class they started in.

Also, going through once, the party isn't going to reach to max level, so I wanted every possible advantage per class I could get.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:53 PM   #8
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Sorcers are the only one i don't add something to, and mages if i have a theif, which aftre my first time through i never do, i expected BG2 like traps, but there are about three in the entire game!!
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 02:47 PM   #9
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty4:
... Can a single class mage lvl 30 beat a rogue1/ranger1/paladin2/mage26? ...
First off, there is no chance you make a Rog1/Rng1Pal2/Mag27 character in one pass through the game + HoF. A level 30 mage can, even in a 4-5 player party. Now, that out of the way, after two passes through the game, you can possibly have a Rog1/Rng1/Pal2/Mag20 against that level 30 mage. Furthermore, that character would need to use CHA, INT and DEX to make use of himself, without sacrificing much other stats. After the level 30 mage casts his two-three protection spells, which he has an enormous supply of, he is ready for absolutely anything the opposing mage wants to throw at him. Let's say his first spell is Aegis, after which he casts Trollish Fortitude and Executioner Eyes. Let's say he's on 50% health, if the first guy bombarded him with damage spells, while the multi-classed dude is at full hp. All he has to do now is cast Mordenkainen's Sword and run around the terrain. It's attack disrupts spells quite nicely, and can you even imagine striking a critical with that weapon? More damage than your awed massive Greataxe of Flame! And it bypasses all damage reductions! Basically, the only weapon the multi-classed guy can hope to kill the lv30 mage is by using Desintegrate and Finger of Death and cross his fingers. And a level 20 mage has fewer kill spells than a level 30 one.
But what I'm trying to say is this: any character can kill any character of the same level, and vice versa. And breeding ultimate characters just kills gameplay.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:58 PM   #10
Vassago
Manshoon

MC'ing is fun, it opens a lot of doors for the complexity of a character. IMO, the hardest part is getting said character where you want him/her to be. The more complex MC'ing, the longer it takes for the person to develop as a character. Ultimately, I think most MC'ed characters are slated to go through Normal and HOF mode.

As for single class characters, I'm running a solo single class Monk in a game right now. I got the idea from a post on another board and it just seemed like an interesting challenge. I'm currently starting Chapter 3 in normal mode and haven't decided if I'm going to take him into HOF or not. Right now, I'm just trying to survive normal mode. IMO, the only classes that are good as single class characters are the mages (Wizards, Sorcerors, Druids and Clerics) and even them can benefit from levels of another class.

Taking a single class character, IMO, is more roleplaying than creating some ubber MC'ed character. I'm not trying to say that all MC'ed characters are ubber, but that seems to be the point in MC'ing a character. Typically, the more characters in your party, the less complexity of MC'ing a character has. Usually, when someone is running a party of three or less, they will have one or more characters with three or more classes. In parties of 4 or more, you usually don't see this. The reason being is that you have more characters to cover the skills that you are trying to acheive by MC'ing. Ultimately, it's just a matter of personal preference. Some play the game from a purely roleplaying style and some play from a ubber party creation style and then there are those that are inbetween.