Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 03-28-2005, 07:28 PM   #1
Nerull
Lord Ao

I started a warlock, and have him up to level 23. I like the character (much higher solo survivability than the mage I started), but I am having an issue with my professions. I am a tailor and enchanter. I like both professions, but neither of them have been terribly profitable up to this point. Enchanting is a money sink up to this point, but everyone knows that about enchanting and I expected as much. It has been hard to find people to enchant stuff for, because there are constantly people yelling on the general channel that they are doing free enchants (thus it has been difficult to raise the skill; I mostly spam my own equipment to raise ranks). Since people are giving away lower level enchants, I also cannot charge for my services, since I end up with no customers.

However, what has really hurt me has been adding tailoring to this. The big "hook" for tailoring is making bags for profit. However, what they do not tell you is that anything below 10 slot bags sell for almost nothing (i.e. not really worth making). I haven't gotten that far (8 slot only), so can't really sell bags that well. So far tailoring has done a great job feeding my enchanting, but since I am not profitable with enchanting, that means zero profit. I have a whopping 2g at level 23; I may not have to buy a mount (warlocks summon one instead of buying one), but still I do have to spend to increase abilities. It's worse that I also have to buy pet upgrades as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions in the short term to make this combo profitable in the short term? I know in the long term I will make cash with this combo (both with selling larger capacity bags and with higher level enchants), but having to grind like crazy just to make enough cash to get my class abilities is really killing me. Also, I've thought of dropping the tailoring for a gathering skill to supplement income. Should I go this route?

Oh, I do belong to a guild, but it is a small guild with a good number of low level characters. I am the only enchanter in the guild at this point, so I do have an incentive to keep up with the enchanting. However, up to this point, everyone knows other enchanters that have given them enchantments on their gear equal or greater to what I can do. Thus, I haven't had too much support within the guild (they do give me wool and stuff on occassion to help with the tailoring side, but it's not like they are going to dump a bunch of green stuff for me to disenchant).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:06 AM   #2
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

I have the same problem, except I am using a mage. However I have another character (20th Hunter) who has 3g ish, after being fully kitted out in the best equipment, and sending 1g to my mage He does leatherworking and skinning, which again doesn't profit much as I'm pretty weak at it. I'll be happy to hear a solution to the money problem. From what I've heard, if you play an enchanter you play the life of a poor man.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:52 AM   #3
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

Questing is where the cash is; through almost all of the lower levels most of my cash came from questing. Other than that - cooking is a profit maker too since the food you make sells for more than the ingrediants used to make them.
Gabrielles blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:17 AM   #4
SecretMaster
Apophis

Unfortunately, there really isn't much you can do as of right now. Wait till you hit later levels (26+) when mobs drop silk cloth. Once you hit silk cloth, you might find it easier to make a profit. Just hold out a little longer, do quests, grind, and you will get better.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Encahnting starts to reel in cash by 30 +. I have a friend who had 200 gold by level 40 because of it. I know because he paid for his friends mount also. Couldn't believe it really, but when asked he said it was enchanting stuff for people.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:29 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

2 gold at 23 is not bad.

I had about 120 gold at 40, just from crafting stuff with leatherworking and selling it at the vendor.

From 40 to 55, I made about 300 more gold or so. I just made myself a set of armor that cost me 240 gold.

All this from grinding and from vendoring leatherworking stuff.

Really, questing is the worse way to make money, as the gold per xp ration is horrible.

My suggestion is to vendor any tailoring stuff you make, but disenchant the stuff you find while adventuring. This should make you some cash.

Again, you don't really start to make cash before level 30 or so.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:57 PM   #7
Nerull
Lord Ao

Actually, Luvian's suggestion is pretty good, but I might even go a step further but just selling any linen rather than making anything with it (my skill level is past the point where making linen stuff raises my skill, and you make more in the auction house selling the straight linen cloth than made goods). I will make and sell wool stuff though, as this will raise my skill. However, it looks like I need to start selling what enchanting skill I do have. I may not be able to make the best enchantments out there, but my skill is 120, which is enough to make some enchantments for people. Orgrimmar is the big place to sell enchantments (since everyone goes there for the auction house), but that place is always saturated with enchanters trying to underbid each other, so I might just go to the Undercity or Thunder Bluff and try my luck. However, I need to find the minor beastslaying recipe (constant demand for beastslaying). Checked thothbot, and the best place to get minor beastslaying is Savannah Prowlers (so off to the Barrens I go). Probably stop by Ragefire for some green stuff, then back to Silverpine to grind some linen and wool.

Going to be a major pain money wise every even level with the training, but I'll make it. Worst that can happen is that I end up grinding lower (non-XP producing) mobs for ages getting money supplies.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 03-30-2005, 09:09 PM   #8
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I would give you enchanting sales advice except...I dont sell enchants lol.I do for guildies thats about it. As for tailoring theres money to be made in bags, though at this point its really not much unless you have a hunter supplying you rugged leather (14 slot). I can make Mooncloth bags but to convert 2 felcloth to 1 mooncloth is a 4 day cooldown period. So 8 days to make a mooncloth bag, not exactly a moneymaker. Can also make mooncloth robe, which is actually a good robe but same problem. Though I have magisters robes which is better. I mainly use my professions in guild or in an alliance of guilds im in from my previous game that all went to same server. I did used to sell a lot of items in last game, but this one I prefer to be more low-key. So many b-net kiddies/greedy twits/chinese gold farmers there for me to do sales. Actually nice not to get /tells all the time to build [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2005, 12:00 AM   #9
Nerull
Lord Ao

Ouch...I had no idea about the cooldown with mooncloth. So why do people take tailoring again? At least the enchanting allows me to upgrade any equipment I do have, but the longest I've used anything I've tailored is 1-2 levels (I usually find something that surpasses the item I made by that point). Wouldn't it be better to take a gathering skill like mining or herbalism, sell the stuff you gather in the auction house, then just buy any stuff you need from there (heck, you could probably buy green stuff for around what it would cost in time/effort/money to make your own green items to disenchant)? In fact, so many of the tailoring options use leather (including some of the bag and boot options) that it almost makes more sense to go tailoring/skinning if you really want to use your tailoring. Plus, you would get the extra profit from selling the cloth (and I could use some of it to jack up first aid without worrying about using up tailoring cloth). It seems to make less sense to me to keep the tailoring, considering the raw materials sell better than the items I am making with them. Plus, the skill gets more expensive as you go (2 linens make one bolt of cloth, but it takes 3 wools to make one bolt of wool, 4 silks to make one bolt of silk, etc.). It takes a LOT of material to make one item. I assume they do this because there is no gathering skill involved.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:50 AM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Tailoring is nice, you can make some nice stuff for yourself.

All tradeskill have a cooldown at high level.

For leatherworking, I can make 1 refined deeprock salt every 3 days.

I need that salt to make Rugger Curred Hides, an item that is used on my best recipes.