Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-09-2004, 02:20 AM   #1
Marikai
Dungeon Master

Greetings again my Ironworks friends!!

Ive been thinking of this creature for quite awhile. Its a great idea i reckon, but ive only played D&D for around 18months and never really understood much about it

*Sigh i feel so stupid*

But on brighter news! I made it, even though it took alot of reading and downloading to find out just How to make my own monster! So here it is iof your interested... Drum roll please..!

---

The Volcanis, Creature of the Fire
----------------------------------

There can be many Volcanis in one realm but it unusual to see one during a lifetime.

WHAT A VOLCANIS LOOKS LIKE

A Volcanis (Volcani if more then 1) is a raging hellfire creature. They have a sleek torso and upper body like a humaniod but facial and body images cannot be seen due to the size of the flames being emitted, but their eyes glow a jet black which are clearly visable. They have no legs because the torso is held up by extreme flames and molten earth. Flames whip from behind their head which grow in size to initiate rage and vengeance.

Two wings protrude from its back that are pure fire. They radiate with extreme heat that reaches three thousand degrees celcius on the outer flames; enough to melt mundane metal and wood objects including trinkets, currency, jewellery and gemstones.

Volcanis are usually found inside dark fiery caves, volcanos and even lava pits. Their constant movement in caverns and lava pits make them reek of Brimstone.

Volcanis creatures speak only Infernal, Draconic (Ignan), and Volcane. They mainly speak Infernal, but they communicate to eachother using their native language Volcane. When a Volcanis speaks, they adjust their fiery temper to conseal their flaming tongue from burning the approaching being.

VOLCANIS
Medium-size Outsider/Elemental
Hit dice: 21D8 + 68 (163 hp)
Initiative: 13 (+9 Dex, +4 improved intiative)
Speed: 40ft
AC: 29 (+9 Dex, +10 natural)
Attacks: Slam +22/+17/+12 melee
Damage: Slam 2D8 + 7and 2D8 fire
Face/reach: 10ft. by 5ft./15ft.
Special attacks: Burn
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/+2, Fire subtype, Darkvision 60ft.
Saves: Fort +__, Ref +__, Will +__
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 29, Con 20, Int 18, Wis 23, Cha 16
Skills: Listen +15, Spot +15, Knowledge (History) +20
Feats: Improved intiative, Summon Baatezu, Dodge, Weapon Finesse (Slam), Improved Critical (Slam), Volcane Song

Climate/Terrain: Lava/mountain caverns
Organisation: Wanderer
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: Varies on difficulty
Alignment: Chaotic Evil most common (but varies)
Advancement: 22-25HD (large), 25-30HD (huge)

Improved Initiative (General) - You get a +4 bonus on initiative checks.

Summon Baatezu (Special) - Most baatezu can summon other baatezu much as though casting a summon monster spell, but they have only a limited chance of success. Roll d%: On a failure, no baatezu answer the summons. Summoned creatures automatically return whence they came after 1 hour. A baatezu that has just been summoned cannot use its own summon ability for 1 hour.

Dodge (General) - During your action, you designate an opponent and receive a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class against attacks from that opponent. You can select a new opponent on any action. Note: A condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses. Also, dodge bonuses (such as this one and a dwarf’s racial bonus to dodge giants) stack with each other, unlike most other types of bonuses.

Weapon Finesse (General) - With the selected weapon, you may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls. Since you need your second hand for balance, if you carry a shield, apply the shield’s armor check penalty to your attack rolls.

Improved Critical (General) - When using the weapon you selected, your threat range is doubled. For example, a longsword usually threatens a critical on a 19 or 20 (two numbers). If a character using a longsword has Improved Critical (longsword), the threat range becomes 17 through 20 (four numbers).

Volcane Song (Special) - When chanted during 1 round, a Volcanis gains an additonal +2 to its Attack Rating, and becomes immune to all physical, passive and spell-type attacks for 1D4 rounds unless struck by a +1 weapon or better.

Volcani, due to their type, are immune to Poisons, Sleep, Paralysis and Stunning. They cannot be subject to critical hits or Flanking.

They fear nothing but have a racial hate for water elementals. They cannot be copied by anything (such as the abilities of the doppleganger).

ORIGIN OF A VOLCANIS

A Volcanis is an evil creation that has no diety. They believe in what they wish, therefore its possible to have a 'good' Volcanis, but it is not common. They are a creature that is formed within the chasm of Hells flames, providing them with the hatred of most creatures.

A Volcanis origin is not fully known, but legend says that they are the Keepers of Ancient Lore; a walking historian of the Dark Ages. Their extensive knowledge of the world around them is unmatched against any creature excluding the Gods. It is this reason that they are more likely to be bearing exotic objects that has been enhcanted by the Volcanis to have extreme fire resistances.

Speculations about this creature say that it is a hired assassin of the Gods and their most trusted advisors if the creature is successfully induced.

----

I typed all that in notepad, so if the justifications and layout is off, i'll be dissappointed, but you can read it [img]smile.gif[/img] I dont know how to figure out Saving throws, even after all that reading :/

Input is cool. Thanks for reading.
[img]\"http://members.lycos.co.uk/arkana/phpBB2/images/avatars/178988289141833a89f34ac.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />Why am I trying to give, <br />when no one gives me a try, <br />Why am I dying to live, <br />if I\'m just living to die?
Old 03-09-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Very good Marikai! Looks like you put quite a lot of work and thought into your Volcanis creature [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 03-09-2004, 08:24 PM   #3
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Very cool dude, I like it a lot. Did you do the art pic yourself?
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 03-09-2004, 10:17 PM   #4
Nerull
Lord Ao

Only one criticism: you must choose either the elemental or outsider type. The outsider type "trumps" the elemental type (i.e. if it is an outsider, it overrides the other types). For example, the efreeti has the fire subtype, but is an outsider instead of an elemental. The fire subtype is noted on the creature, so it would just be an outsider (nothing stopping you from giving it fire elemental abilities and weaknesses, though... ). For reference on the "stacking" of types, see the Savage Species book (they really do a good job of spelling out how to mix types and subtypes). This is just to let you know; otherwise it is a good job! Is your campaign that high level that you will be using the creature right away? If not, take your time to play test it, especially considering that it is such a high status creature (servant of god, etc.). You'll be able to tweak out the bad stuff before you introduce the creature (after it's in the game, it's a little too late).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 03-09-2004, 11:10 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Very nice, Marikai! I did have one question... would the Volcanis have some kind of ranged fire attack? I might expect one...

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:17 AM   #6
Jorath Calar
Harper

Thats great work... but just one criticism, the Summon Baatezu, the high AC and very high ability stats, would make this a much higher CR than 12 ... CR 16 - 18 is more like it.
I very much doubt a 12th level party could handle this
Old 03-10-2004, 10:43 AM   #7
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Wooo... very cool.... [img]smile.gif[/img] Good job.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:09 PM   #8
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Great creature. Nice pic. Go to art section.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:26 PM   #9
Marikai
Dungeon Master

The following changes have been made:

Medium-size Outsider

Challenge Rating: 17

Feats: Improved intiative, Lightning Reflexes, Improved Evasion, Power Attack, Breath Weapon, Weapon Finesse (Slam), Improved Critical (Slam), Volcane Song

------

Lightning Reflexes (General) - You get a +2 bonus to all Reflex saving throws.

Improved Evasion (General) - If the servant is subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, it takes no damage on a successful saving throw and only half damage on a failed saving throw. Improved evasion is an extraordinary ability.

Power Attack (General) - On the character's action, before making attack rolls for a round, the character may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed the character's base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage applies until the character's next action.

Breath Weapon (Su): Line of lightning 5 feet wide, 5 feet high, and 20 feet long, once a minute; damage 7d6, Reflex half DC19

----

Thank you for your input people [img]smile.gif[/img] It helps me a great deal.

As for the artwork, i did not do it. A friend of mine named Rusty did it in a short period of time. Its very well done since he did it using Gimp.

Im going to meet up with my D&D buddies this weekend. We shall give it an ol' test of this Volcanis, im sure they still got their lvl 30+ clerics, wizards and barbarians lying around somewhere

Their kinda got the "Bring it on" sorta attitude... so i hope it kills them [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-11-2004, 04:33 AM: Message edited by: Marikai ]
[img]\"http://members.lycos.co.uk/arkana/phpBB2/images/avatars/178988289141833a89f34ac.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />Why am I trying to give, <br />when no one gives me a try, <br />Why am I dying to live, <br />if I\'m just living to die?