Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2002, 01:20 PM   #1
Sio

This Sunday im going to the computer faire to get my Graphics Card for which I will be using for games such as Medal Of Honour and Unreal Tournament2003 and Asherons Call 2, as my geforce2 melted a few weeks ago, the Geforce4 was reccomended but still not been satisfied till I go over every other possibility I was wonderign what do you people make of the Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 64MB (AGP)?

http://www4.tomshardware.com/graphic...kyroII-17.html

Thats the page whichshows its benchmark test. Im not a computer buff so can you's tell me if this is any good, a friend of my dads who is a network admin (knows his stuff) reccomended this to my dad, im not sure if he did so knowing that its purpose was for the latest games out, at £45 it is very cheap but the phrase "you get what you pay for" springs to mind.......
Thankign You,
Sio
Old 09-17-2002, 01:51 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

By all accounts, it's an excellent card. It's the one I'm using in my machine at home, actually. I can actually play high-end graphics games now! It uses nVidia technology, so the nVidia drivers work with it with no problem.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 09-17-2002, 02:44 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

Tom knows what hes talking about, that used to be one of the sites I used for choosing my own hardware (Back when I still could afford to buy rather than beg)

Kyro II is a competitor to the geforce 2 chipset, so the geforce 4 will outperform it. But for £45? Not a bad deal.

On these figures, this card is very, very close to Geforce 2 performance. (Geforce 2 MX dont count as Geforce 2). That means itll run anything on the market today. No games as yet require geforce 3 power. NWN will run fine on this for example.

Building a high-end games macine Id say go for the G4, but for the average user the Kyro II will be more than adequate.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:48 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
By all accounts, it's an excellent card. It's the one I'm using in my machine at home, actually. I can actually play high-end graphics games now! It uses nVidia technology, so the nVidia drivers work with it with no problem.

-Sazerac
Ah, kyro is the competitor to geforec, its from PowerVR. I havent kept up with whos bought who recently, so PowerVR could now be owned by Nvidia for all I know, but the technology isnt Nvidias.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:37 PM   #5
Hesperex

I wouldn't touch a Kyro now they are very old technology now, go with a GF4 4200 or a Radeon 9000 perhaps the Radeon 8500 if your not looking to spend too much but want decent performance, even a GF3 TI200 although Id say even they were a bit slow now. If your looking for all out speed then the GF4 4600 and the Radeon 9700 are good choices ...although the gains over the previosuly mentioned cards are not really worth the extra money you pay in my personal opinion.

Old 09-17-2002, 07:42 PM   #6
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I had a GeForce 2 card that wouldn't play NWN.. I now have a Geforce4 with 64 mb of RAM that works great. It is a Verto MX 420.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:04 PM   #7
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
No games as yet require geforce 3 power. NWN will run fine on this for example.
I believe that to absolutely max out all of the NWN setting, you need a geforce 3. For shiny water especially I believe.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 09-17-2002, 08:33 PM   #8
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

-Sazerac
Ah, kyro is the competitor to geforec, its from PowerVR. I havent kept up with whos bought who recently, so PowerVR could now be owned by Nvidia for all I know, but the technology isnt Nvidias.[/QUOTE]PowerVR makes a decent card on paper, but the drivers are horrible! NVidia has proven itself with timely driver updates, which makes the difference although it will be interesting to see ATI's new DX9 card, the R300. It looks like 3D Labs is making a comeback too, so we should see the video card market heating up real soon, with a HUGE drop in prices for newer cards.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:10 PM   #9
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Don't know if this is kinda expensive, but I got a brand new PC in June, and I've got an MSI Ti4200. Absolutely awesome, and cheaper than most of the high end GF3s. I can easily get 10000s on 3DMark (which is very good.) Although my friend has a Hercules and it kicks total @$$ as well.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:04 AM   #10
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

My advice - avoid the Kyro card. I have one and it's sitting in a box. Apart from games compatibility problems, as has been said, the drivers are far from top quality. It may be cheap, but that does not make it a bargain.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)