Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-05-2002, 11:46 AM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

This year, on June 8th, a lot of thoroughbred race fans will be in for a showdown that hasn't been seen since 1978. War Emblem, the winner of the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness, will be competing for the final jewel of the "Triple Crown": the Belmont stakes in New York.

There hasn't been a triple crown winner, or even a contender, since 1978, when Affirmed won the coveted title. During the 70's was the heyday of the Triple Crown, with four great winners: Secretariat (1973), Seattle Slew (1975, and just recently deceased this past April), Alydar (1977), and Affirmed (1978).

If War Emblem wins, he will become the 12th Triple Crown winner since its inception; a dynasty of honor in the thoroughbred horse kingdom not unlike the oriental martial arts masters throughout the ages.

The question remains: can he do it? Many believe that the Kentucky Derby and Preakness wins were "flukes", and that War Emblem barely beat out a Maryland-bred 45:1 longshot in the last few seconds of the race. The Belmont Stakes is the longest run of the Triple Crown; 1 and 3/4 miles; longer than either the Derby or the Preakness.

Whatever happens, it's sure to keep race horse fans on the edge of their seats. Expect record crowds at Belmont Track this weekend. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 06-05-2002, 12:19 PM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

I don't think he'll cut it this time. I remember that Cigar was a favorite for the Triple Crown some years back but failed to make the long run at Belmont. We'll see how it goes, though.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:06 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I know what you mean, Azred. My fingers are crossed, but I'm not sure if he can pull it off this time. He's got some leg injuries even before the Derby...the fact that he's performed so well is just short of a miracle.

We'll have to see what Saturday brings. Hopefully it'll be a fast track.

-Sazerac

Old 06-05-2002, 01:26 PM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Check weather.com or weather channel for weekend forecast. Is Belmont grass or dirt? I can't remember....

I think he'll wind up in "show". [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] Where did I put my bookie's number? [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 06-05-2002, 03:08 PM   #5
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I'm rooting for War Emblem, although the longer track makes me wonder. As has been said he barely won the last race.
Old 06-05-2002, 03:14 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

The Belmont stakes are a dirt race, not turf. I think all the Triple Crown races are on dirt track.

For those who aren't familiar with race terms, "fast" means a track under optimal conditions. "Slow" is suboptimal; generally a track that's saturated in mud (like during a rainstorm). Nothing is predictable under slow conditions, and it can be rather dangerous for the horses and jockeys.

I'm not much of a better myself. Now if I go to a track in person, I may put $2 on a horse, just to "root" for it, and if I get a little back, that's a bit of fun. But all these elaborate schemes like Exactas and Trifectas and Quinnellas and Superfectas...they simply defeat me; I have no idea how or what to do on those, and they seem more risky than investing in wildcat oil wells. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Cheers,
-Sazerac

Old 06-05-2002, 03:50 PM   #7
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Will War Emblem win the Triple Crown?

You can bet on it!

[ 06-05-2002, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]
Old 06-05-2002, 05:41 PM   #8
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Will he win the triple crown? well an answer in two words "HELL YEAH"
Old 06-06-2002, 01:25 AM   #9
DeSoya
Manshoon

Personally I don't think he will. Charismatic had a shot in '99 and there was another horse in '98 and another in (I believe) '96. None of them did it and neither will War Emblem. While not being a horse racing fan I watch a bit of sports center on espn. I don't thing WE looks as good as Charismatic did. But I guess to really make that remark I'd have to be a junky. Ask me about pitchers. I feel much better about baseball.

"I got the horse right here, his name is paul revere and he can win if the weather is clear..."

DeSoya