Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-22-2000, 02:25 PM   #21
GideonRaine

I dont like npc's i hate all the wining and the b.s you gotta put up with. plus there's also a lot of debate as to waht kind of party you should have, well if youve looked at a previous thread of mine youll see my party i have in MP.
2 kensai/mages (human) level 13 mage/level 7 fighters, both with at least an 18/90 strand 18 int, you should see em swingin a 2-handed sword, heh heh
1 fighter/mage (human) level 13 mage/level 7 fighter, 18/81 str, 18 int
1 fighter/cleric (half-orc) level 12 cleric/level 10 fighter, 19 str, 19 con, 18 wis, he kills stuff for a joke and heals when the damage is done, and he's got like a 3 THAC0
1 fighter/cleric (human) level 13 cleric/level 7 fighter, 18/00 str, 18 wis, plain and simple, she kicks ass
1 fighter/thief (human) level 14 thief/level 7 fighter, 18/76 str, 18 dex, his thieving skills kick ass and he can swing a sword with the best of him, and doing a backstab at x4 with a +2 longsword is awesome, heh, that takes out a lot of mages with one smack

this game i find is way better MP, although, ill be trying it SP once i finish it with this party

Old 11-22-2000, 07:43 PM   #22
Armisael

What's so annoying about Minsc and Jaheira? Minsc's the second best fighter in the game and Jaheira's the best druid. As for Yoshimo; you'll find out why so many people hate him soon enough.
Doesn't playing a game with team full of fabricated characters kind of make the game a little one-dimensional? Call me strange, but I actually like the character interaction.

Old 11-22-2000, 11:04 PM   #23
kupolu

To Thore:

********SPOILER*************
Ok, First off, Yoshimo is dumb and a traitor. He betrays you in spellhold, so get rid of him. And next, MINSC ROCKS! He's awesome and he's a really good fighter. I don't know what you're smoking!

Old 11-23-2000, 12:32 AM   #24
Suul-Yinn

Personally, I think you should go for:

Yourself: Front-line fighter
Keldorn, (better than Minsc): With Holy Sword, Carsomyr,True Sight and Dispel Magic he is essential
Jaheira: Back-up fighter and mage spoiler(insect plague is sooo useful )
Edwin (or Nalia since your party is Good): Main Mage, able to learn level 8 spells
Viconia (or Aerie, see Nalia): Cleric spellcaster (healer too but I use potions and regeneration)
Jan (or Imoen, worse): Back-up mage and thief, with the ability to provide missile support

This will give you a balanced party, with some back-up for keys classes if they are down. Spell-casters are essential and you only need two front-line fighters most of the time, to prevent the enemy reaching your back rows. It obviously is a very personal choice as we all have our favourites and different playing styles, so play with a party you enjoy, not necessarily the strongest one. Unfortunately you have progressed quite far in the game and I assume most of the quests are done. If this is the case, it would mean that any new NPCs joining the party would be unlikely to reach higher levels. If you insist on keeping Anomen, lose Aerie for Edwin or Nalia. If you want Aerie, use potions to boost her intelligence to learn more spells

Old 11-23-2000, 12:52 AM   #25
Magness
Quintesson

I think one of the tougher decisions is (assuming you already know about Yoshimo's fate in Chapter 4) do you keep Yoshimo with your party thru Ch4 and replace him with Imoen OR dump his sorry ass for someone else (Jan Jansen, for example)? But then what do you do when it's time to go to the Assylum? Leave JJ behind to open a spot for Imoen? Leave JJ and take Yoshimo to fill the slot until Imoen takes it? Take JJ and leave Imoen on the island.

I'm playing BG2 thru for the 2nd time (this time as an elven swashbuckler) and have a full party of 6 without that !@$#%& Yoshimo. Who will *I* leave behind? I haven't decided yet.
Old 11-23-2000, 03:44 AM   #26
Intuition

Minsc is a rather weak character in my party. And are there any two-handed sword better than the Lilacor that can be used by a ranger??

Old 11-23-2000, 05:12 AM   #27
Joukahainen

Yes, there are swords better than Lilarcor. The Warblade for one, 1D12 +4 +4. The Vorpal Blade for another. Those are just the two handed ones.

Old 11-23-2000, 05:31 AM   #28
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

The NPC interaction is one of the reasons why BG2 is better than BG1 in my opinion. And even if you are playing a good party there's no need to edit the alignment etc. you can still play good and have them in your party. If you must edit anything just edit your rep to make sure it doesn't get to 19 and you will be fine. Changing alignments make for some odd-sounding dialogue.
Old 11-23-2000, 06:46 AM   #29
TLan

My party is:

Banaden (me), lvl 14 or was it 15 crusader (I simply love paladins, everywhere)
Minsc
Nalia
Jaheira
Mazzy
Valgyar

I always have played in every game in more melee oriented style. Truth to be told, I have yet to use many spells in BG2 either. Most combat I do is melee + ranged, and spells go in when I need some serious debuff/heal/buff/prot, nothing more really. My main char uses the Carsomyr +5 sword, Minsc (being a ranger and all) has Celestial Fury and Cromm Faeyr and simply flattens everything on his way. Nalia uses neat short bow (beats me, forgot the name) and Jaheira got some VERY good sling, forgot the name tho heh.. Mazzy and Valgyar are my reserve melee chars, but currently they use pretty good short/longbows with best arrows I can buy. And I can buy now a lot. At start many was scrace, I grabbed all I could and sell and now suddenly I have a lot of cash .

I had Keldorn, he was OK, but I am good at my heart as a RL person . So I didn't let Keldorn's family fall apart and released him from my service. While I lost good fighter, it was a good deed I feel heheh.. Yoshimo was suspicious to me, to I released him when I met Keldorm and now I know it wasn't such a bad idea. Good thing I stripped him of all the goodies he had heh. Aerie and her blasted wing-mourning was giving me the creeps to at one point I simply booted her - fly away, fly. Minsc may be simpleton, but he's funny nevertheless and a VERY good fighter, provided he has the needed gear. Nalia as a thief is not bad at all, she's good mage to me also and is using her bow pretty well. Jaheira is good druid and uses sling well, and if needed the can swing her scimitar well also - with the proper gear, what she also has.

So while my party is more oriented for melee and ranged attacks, it has not hindered me at all. When battle starts, my ranged combatants get usually already few hits in and at that moment the spellcasters have launched up only some buffs. Then the melee moves in and my main char starts to dispell and smack and Minsc - when hasted - is like a Windmill of Death. My battles are, so far, usually rather short - ranged attackers do nice pre-damage, then melee ones hurt bad, with ranged ones supporting, and when needed Nalia or Jaheria throw in some debuff/buff/heal. And with weaker mobs - usual ones - they often drop from ranged attacks before melee chars even get to them heh - it aint nice to face my group only to see some big hulks running to you with big weapons and then get 3 arrows and 1 bullet in belly . I have the "Pause on seeing Enemy" turned on, so I can usually check what enemy I am facing and then set the attacks.

Right now this group works very well, I do not foresee any big changes generally. Some are coming though, take Imoen for example.. Then I have to see what to do heh. Mazzy may have to go prolly..

Old 11-23-2000, 03:03 PM   #30
Vlade

Well, my party is as follows:
Vlade (me, fighter/swashbuckler)
Keldorn (melee,Carsomyr)
Minsc (ax-thrower/melee)
Valygar (longbow/shortbow)
Imoen (shortbow)
Aerie (sling)
Basically, when I picked up Minsc he got a slot in ax so he became the ax thrower ie keep pumping his ax and sword and shield style. When Valygar upped I chose shortbow so he could use the +3 shortbow. When I met up with Adamentite Golems, Keldorn and I will melee and Valygar and Imoen pump those guys full of arrows...