Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 01-26-2005, 07:10 PM   #1
Vampire

Smiley

Sorry for more dumb questions... haha, but the more I read into WoW, the more confused I am! So many possibilities!

I read up on Professions today and it really opened my mind.

I have a generic question for WoW players:

How much Overlap is there in the game? For example:

1/ Hunters and Warlocks can have pets, but I found that you can make mechanical pets....
2/ You can make ranged weapons too... can non Fighter/Hunter units use them???

I mean for all the class restrictions, there seems to be exceptions... or are there?

Can you name so loop holes where Mages perhaps can get armour and Druids use ranged weapons, and Fighters have pets?

And what is the difference bewteen Primary and as many Secondary Professions as possible?

Thank you
Old 01-26-2005, 07:23 PM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I haven't found any major loopholes, except a paladin is a wee bit (read: MASSIVELY) overpowered.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
Lucern
Quintesson

Engineers mostly make items only they can use, but guns and scopes (nobody can make bows or crossbows) are usable by more than hunters and warriors. Engineering is mostly a help-yourself kind of profession IMO; alchemists, however, are great friends to have.

While most pets are useful somewhat, they're not equally useful. My hunter's pet could decimate a Warlock's pets, but at the end of the day it's only an animal who has to use melee attacks. The warlock pets seem more powerful than any of the mechanical ones I've seen.

I can only assume that the mechanized pets have some purpose?

There is a purposeless set of pets, like small cats and little cockroaches.

And as for the loopholes you named, yes and no. You can, but you won't because there isn't much point.

Mages wear cloth armor, which helps a little.

I haven't honestly seen a druid fire a missile weapon, but don't worry about missile weapons unless you're a hunter. Missile weapons do so little damage before an enemy gets to you if you're not a hunter, that they're mainly for tactical advantage - angering a monster to pick it off of a group without getting closer.

My hunter, however, tangles them up with his pet scorpion and proceeds to fire away with attacks that stun, poison, and do increased damage, and all the while they're still trained upon my pet.

Warriors can buy little cats and such for pets, or build a mechanical one. They don't need a pet really.

The difference between primary and secondary professions is that everyone can have every secondary profession, but you must choose two primary ones. The primaries go together like this, typically:

Skinning + Leatherworking
Mining + Blacksmithing
Mining + Engineering
Herbalism + Alchemy
Tailoring
Enchanting

Seems like I'm missing some...
The secondaries are Fishing, First Aid, and Cooking, and many people do not bother with them, or have very low skill in all three.

The essential difference is that primary skills allow you to provide a service that not everyone else can provide, making you slightly more unique. They'll also be a good source of income if you play your cards right.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:15 PM   #4
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Avatar, I think your going to have to actually play to get the answers on some/a lot of your questions..........
Old 01-26-2005, 09:38 PM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

The pet you can make can only be used something like 5 minutes every hour, while hunter/warlock pet can be used all the time.

There is no way a mage can use armor.

Many classes can use ranged weapons, but not as well as Hunters.

I trained bow on my rogue and she is horrible with it, so I went back to throwing daggers.

So that's it. Sometimes you can use skills that were not made for your class, but they won't be that much usefull.

[ 01-26-2005, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 01-29-2005, 02:58 AM   #6
SecretMaster
Apophis

The main difference in using ranged weapons with the hunter and other classes is that hunters get autoshoot. Basically, if you use a ranged weapon and you aren't a hunter, you have to manually click attack/fire every single time to fire one friggin arrow. It gets annoying, fast.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
Niadh
Elminster

Druids can't use ranged weapons, but don't really need them with their spells.
A Knight is sworn to darkness. <br />His heart knows only hatred.<br />His sword destroys the helpless,<br />His might imprisons the weak.<br />His wrath upholds the wicked, <br />His word speaks only lies.<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.boomspeed.com/niadh/newiwsig.jpg\" alt=\" - \" />
Niadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 09:19 PM   #8
spydar

I agree with Niadh, just use wrath or something to get some early damage on your target and get their attention.