Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2002, 01:20 PM   #1
BRNDL BACKBREAKER
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Considering purchasing Wiardry I, but would like to know how it compares to any of the BG series. Thx.
BRNDL BACKBREAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 01:28 PM   #2
Vaprakgruumsh
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well two very different styles of games. Wiz8 is first person, BG is over head sorta, Wiz8 its 8 players w/2 possible npcs, BG is one player with more npcs, etc.

I have not played BG yet - but I can vouch for Wizardry 8's greatness. I was going through a major burn out of everything, and Wizardry 8 snapped me out of it, cuz this game rocks. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2002, 02:20 PM   #3
vesselle
Hathor

i dunno about Wiz 1, cuz i've only ever played Wiz 8. but bg2 is different. it has different set of rules (based on ADD) and different look, with different party management and spell and combat system.

however, they are both good, intense, deep rpgs. both have given me countless hours of fun. and with the mods, addons and x-pacs for bg2, it just keeps on giving.

wiz8 and bg series are both in my library of great rpgs. there aren't many there, but all that are there are the kind that continue to be fun years after their release.

V***V
Old 01-17-2002, 02:42 PM   #4
Brak
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It is similar in many ways to Icewind Dale if you've played that. In both games you create your own party of six. And combat is around almost every corner and is quite difficult. However, it is more similar to BG2 in the way that there are so many race/class combinations, it is staggering. Wizardry8 much more so even than BG2. Because any race can choose any profession. And the mage-style classes are much more diverse from one another than in BG series.

As was stated, this game is 1st person view not overhead iso camera view. That can be quite confusing in a game where you control a party, so let me explain. You are not looking through the eyes of any one of your characters, but rather a camera that you can think of as floating at eye level between all of your characters. But you don't see any of your characters so you are kind of looking through the eyes of all of your characters at once. Because of this the party is always grouped together and always moves as a group (even unconsious party members move with the group??!!). This is highly unrealistic sounding, but somehow the game pulls it off successfully without the loss of immersion I expected. Unfortunately the effect on gameplay is that you can't move party members seperately to achieve strategic advatage (i.e. have fighters charge the enemy while spellcasters and archers stay a safe distance away). But you can customize formations at any time, so that involves a bit of strategy.

The game is very stat driven and it is even more important than the BG series to balance those stats and allocate level up points properly, because there is A LOT to it. In that respect it almost reminds me of my days with Diablo 2, saving level up points so they could be best spent at the best place when that skill (or in this case spell) became available. And planning and analysing and disecting the development path of each character before you even set out so you won't be midway through the game wondering why your characters suck. *Note, not everybody does this, and you don't need to, but my point was that the stats and skill point allocation in this game have such a huge effect on gameplay that it certainly lends itself to that kind of analyzation, any so many people do.

It is a VERY different feel from the BG series and depending on how you handled combat in BG, the combat can either be very similar in W8 or very different. If you liked to just issue a couple orders and let your characters go at it in kind of a fast pace W8 will seem like it is crawling. But if you made liberal use of the pause button or auto-pause options and issued orders every round so as to micromanage your party, then W8 will be fairly easy to get used to. But even then it might seem kinda slow in large battles because it is a modified turn based combat scheme, which means each of your enemies takes thier turn one....at....a....time. Either way combat in W8 is silimar to combat in BG when compared to a game like Diablo 2 or Gothic.

Gotta tell ya, I played all the infinity engine games (but never finished Planescape: Torment because I couldn't stand to do all that reading, I like action and adventure in my games, if I wanted to read I'd pick up a book). As different as these games are, I am hooked on W8. It is a great challenge and I can't wait to go home and play it. Speaking of too much reading sorry for the long post... [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Brak ]

Old 01-17-2002, 02:50 PM   #5
MaraJade
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Being a huge BG fan I first hated Wizardry 8. The first few battles I was clueless what was going on, I could not separate my ranged characters from my melee characters, I did not like the 1st. person view ... I was whining up a storm. But once I figured out the interface and the strategies I had to use in the game I got hooked very fast.

I now think it is an excellent RPG. Different from BG, but just as good. And much better then Diablo, which I hate because of the constant hack and slash. I never got into that one. However, there are times when W8 has hack and slash attacks, like getting 28 bats attacking you at once. Sheesh.

Marianne
MaraJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 01:01 PM   #6
Loredweller
Elite Waterdeep Guard

IMHO, there is more space for roleplaying in BG2. Consider inter-party conversations and relations, there are even romances available if you wish it, and you may lose friend or companion by wrong decision or word, too. Altogether quests for most part are somehow easy and simple.
I like the BG combat system very much, and you can place, manage and direct any and every character at almost any moment. I prefer using autopause on some events, say, such as "spell cast", "enemy seen" etc. You may use some scripting if you wish, there is no manuals for it save but advices and hints in players community, though. BTW, community is (at least has been) exellent, esp. one at GameBanshee [img]smile.gif[/img]
The storyline is more humanlike if you get my meaning, that also. To save one's soul is more real and important thing as saving the world, isn't it?
W8 strength is in character development system (in BG you cannot improve skills by learning, for one thing, and very limited amount of improvement can be made only at leveling). There is plenty of skills and features in W8, you realy need to choose and there is rich sortiment of choices.
Battles, at least on my experience, last longer in W8 and is harder, too.
So, IMO, both are great games in some way and worth enjoying 8) If short, it seems to me BG shifts to RPG side, W8 to andventure&quest.
Just MHO,
L.
Loredweller is offline   Reply With Quote