Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 09-17-2002, 04:21 PM   #11
magnetism
Manshoon

Hafling thief/illusionist chaotic neutral of course.
5/15
or 7/13

this class would require some well thought out tactics.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:25 PM   #12
magnetism
Manshoon

oh .. but monk plain old monk is the best class.

Focus on dex and wisdom
take weapon finness
and just use your fists with the
best monk gloves you can get.

dishes out the dirt!
Old 09-17-2002, 05:59 PM   #13
Tiresius
Dungeon Master

Hey magnetism, i believe you may have some an error in your sig:
"Magneticus prefers-like a cat-to play with a mouse that squeeks."

As is stands right now causes confusion for the reader.
1) it is innitially unclear as to what is "like a cat"
2) your predicate "prefers to play" has been broken up with an apposative and you would want to avoid this.
3) and as a minor gramatical error, a dash is 2 hyphens.

I personally would write the sentence as follows:
"Magneticus--like a cat--prefers to play with a mouse that squeeks."

That is just something that i noticed. After just finishing a 12 page symposium for AP American Literature, you just kind of notice things like that. Normally i'm not picky about internet ligo, but since that is in your sig you may want to correct that.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:23 PM   #14
magnetism
Manshoon

Tiresius.. I was not very carefull with this however it is a quote from Goerte's Faust either of could check to see it verbatim I suppose.

"I prefer, like a cat, to play with a mouse that squeeks!" ~mephistopheles

I is the subject.
like a cat modifies prefer as in how do I prefer.

"to play" is the verb phrase
and a mouse that squeeks is the predicate.

Or I would guess I have not had an english class in 12 years.
and I think it has bean 10 since I read that book so I may be mis quoting.

thanks for the heads up anyway I will check it out.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:34 PM   #15
TheGrandSlayer
Red Wizard of Thay

Rouges have hilarious diolouge,the one with Linu is best though
Old 09-17-2002, 06:40 PM   #16
magnetism
Manshoon

I was definatly missquoting: the actual quote was this..

Mephistopheles: speeking to the lord.

My thanks for that, for with the dead I've never got
Myself entangled of my own volition.
I like full, fresh cheeks best of all the lot.
I'm not at home when corpses seek my house;
I feel about it as a cat does with a mouse.

I must have summarized the tone of the verse.. however I think I still prefer the way.. "I prefer, like a cat, to play with a mouse that squeeks"

I feal that the metaphor of cat and mouse refers to my preference rather than me in this instance.

Worse Yet I had misspelled "squeaks" gads is should really be more careful.

[ 09-17-2002, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: magnetism ]
Old 09-17-2002, 07:14 PM   #17
Tiresius
Dungeon Master

well i didnt even notice the thing about squeaks, so i guess that reflects my outstanding proofreading skills *sarcasm*. But you know what you are trying to say better than I do. I just read your sig and got confused as to what was refering to what. I know that if my teacher read that, he would hand me my testicles on a silver platter. He doesnt like it when he has to think about what the syntax of the sentence is supposed to be. I still say though that the interjection is in the wrong location, i dont think you are supposed to compare a verb to a noun, but then again im not doing very well in AP.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:14 PM   #18
AndyG
Elminster

Good choices for favored enemies are humans, giants, orcs (if you take it early) or maybe dragons (you'll need all the help you can get). Good feats are Dodge, Mobility, Toughness, Weapon Focus, Improved Critical, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Power Attack (pre-requisite for Cleave) and Cleave. Cleave is important. You can get a lot of free attacks out of it.

For splitting up the levels, make sure you top out your rogue at an odd level. You get an additional 1d6 sneak damage every odd level. I was aiming for 15/5 ranger rogue, but I've read that 13/7 or 17/3 are better choices. I think any mix would work well. The higher you go in ranger, the better spells and animal companion you'll have. Balance that against the improved sneak attacks and lots of skill points for rogues.

I would spend your rogue skill points on Persuade, Use Magical Device (allows you to use wands, scrolls and monk gear), Search, Disarm Trap. Spend your Ranger skill points on Search, Heal (up to 7 or 8 points), Lore, Animal Empathy (I never use this, but it's a ranger skill...), and optionally, Hide and Move Silently. If you don't go the stealth route, put points into Listen, Spot or Set Traps. Lore is always an optional skill, and can be skipped if you want to develop other skills. I find it handy. 3-5 points will allow you to identify most minor treasure (arrows and the like) so maybe you should stop there.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 03:26 PM   #19
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
I hate to correct you Wolfgir, but the game doesn't penalize you for having 2 levels apart. Maybe 3, but not 2. I didn't lose anything when I was raising up levels. My character was a Ranger - 6, Rogue - 4, and Sorceror 2. Didn't have any problems with that character. I did raise him up to Ranger - 11, Rogue - 4, Sorceror - 5.
Well I was just thinking that they didnīt lie all through the manual Tobbin hehe
Itīs only ten percent and as the XP has varied in the game between patches (at least it feels like that)
The manual and the rules says that you should keep none favoured classes at 1 level difference or suffer XP penalty, but it doesnīt state how much. In the PnP version itīs something like 10% for two levels, 20% for three and 40% for more or something like that, Iīm too lazy and too uncaring to go fetch my book in the pile of papers right now

And itīs for new XP, you donīt drop..
Well alot of things in this game donīt add up correctly but itīs still fun. By the way, try a Monk/rouge character and make orange robes of Davros fury and boots of speed!

Jackie Chan moments anyone??

Donīt eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 06:12 PM   #20
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Is your monk wearing ORANGE ROBES????

Geesh, what a geeky looking monk - how is he ever going to stamp any credibility into Neverwinter on a dark and stormy night. I bet all the henchman think he bats left handed