Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2002, 05:04 PM   #1
Tiresius
Dungeon Master

When the game first came out i had a shitty computer and by the time i got to the big city in chapter two it became virtually unplayable and highly unenjoyable. But since then i have upgraded to a beautiful piece of machinery. Anyway, as the heading implies, I am curious as to what everyone thinks about the different classes. I looked for a similar topic but couldnt find one within the last 5 pages. If there is one farther back, plz link it here so i can look at it. I was thinking about a rogue/fighter or rogue/ranger but i noticed lots of people posting problems with rogue/rangers. Also, i am curious about multi-classing. I would like to do that with my character and if anyone could give me some good combinations that would be great.
Old 09-14-2002, 05:13 PM   #2
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

bard/ranger

barbarian/paladin (a lot of allignment changing [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

Cleric/mage?

Fighter... socerer? I dunno. just a few I can think off the top of my head [img]tongue.gif[/img]

A wizard/soucerer heheh.

funniest. dunno. :| I'd say "wild mage" but they seem to have killed that off
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 06:07 PM   #3
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Monk/Rouge = NINJA! HIYAAA! (Have to make a little Ninja outfit with the aurora tool )

wizard/rouge/fighter=Can kick but for several rounds before you have to sleep and restore thoose powers

Well, generally speaking, everything with rouge or fighter is a great potential actually.

Barbarian/cleric with strength and protection as domains has potential as well.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 09:38 PM   #4
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
Monk/Rouge = NINJA! HIYAAA! (Have to make a little Ninja outfit with the aurora tool )

wizard/rouge/fighter=Can kick but for several rounds before you have to sleep and restore thoose powers

Well, generally speaking, everything with rouge or fighter is a great potential actually.

Barbarian/cleric with strength and protection as domains has potential as well.
ahh, the monk rouge, a cross-dressing person devoted to perfecting their inner combat strengths

wizard/fighter rouge? a different make-up by the same company? (the word is spelled rogue...

anyway monk-rogue is alot of fun, as is paladin sorc. (both need high charisma) try to find classes that have similar needs for prime stats, it tends to work best and lets you focus on building your strengths
Old 09-15-2002, 08:11 PM   #5
Tiresius
Dungeon Master

I just thought i would post what i've decided.

Ranger/Rogue/Fighter with a 10/6/4 level split respectively. Please correct me if my reasoning is incorrect:

lvl 10 ranger: get improved dual wielding at lvl 9 and extra racial enemy at 10.
lvl 6 rogue: no particular reason
lvl 4 fighter: one feat per 2 levels = 2 extra feats.

now that i think about it, i dont really know much about rogues. How do the backstab multipliers work? any further advice would be great. And i thought hard about being a "ninja" but decided against it. i thought it would be cooler to dual wield stuff. I remember it was highly disapointing with my wizard to forge really cool weapons, but not be able to use them. also...im deciding between long sword/short sword and rapier/short sword. I appreciate any help.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:49 AM   #6
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiresius:

Ranger/Rogue/Fighter with a 10/6/4 level split respectively. Please correct me if my reasoning is incorrect:

lvl 10 ranger: get improved dual wielding at lvl 9 and extra racial enemy at 10.

now that i think about it, i dont really know much about rogues. How do the backstab multipliers work? any further advice would be great. And i thought hard about being a "ninja" but decided against it. i thought it would be cooler to dual wield stuff. I remember it was highly disapointing with my wizard to forge really cool weapons, but not be able to use them. also...im deciding between long sword/short sword and rapier/short sword. I appreciate any help.
Well first of all you receive a XP penalty for not keeping rouge and and fighter equal. Rouge is best by the unequal number and fighter with even numbers. Touges get increase in sneak attack at uneven levels, 1 =1D6, 3=2D& etc etc. Fighters get the extra feat at even numbers.
At level 5 rouge you receive 3d6 in sneak, have imp evasion I think, at least evasion, alot of skills and with maxed out use magic item you can use pretty much any object in the game.

so a better way would be to have ranger lvl 10, rouge lvl 5, fighter lvl 4.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 05:17 PM   #7
Tiresius
Dungeon Master

Um...10+4+5=19 i get one more level. where do you propose i put that. That is why i had 6 levels in ROGUE (notice the spelling) because i wouldnt get any major bonuses for either fighter or ranger and since rogues gets lots of skill points, i put the extra level there.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:22 PM   #8
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
quote:
Originally posted by Tiresius:

Well first of all you receive a XP penalty for not keeping rouge and and fighter equal. Rouge is best by the unequal number and fighter with even numbers. Touges get increase in sneak attack at uneven levels, 1 =1D6, 3=2D& etc etc. Fighters get the extra feat at even numbers.
At level 5 rouge you receive 3d6 in sneak, have imp evasion I think, at least evasion, alot of skills and with maxed out use magic item you can use pretty much any object in the game.

so a better way would be to have ranger lvl 10, rouge lvl 5, fighter lvl 4.
[/QUOTE]I hate to correct you Wolfgir, but the game doesn't penalize you for having 2 levels apart. Maybe 3, but not 2. I didn't lose anything when I was raising up levels. My character was a Ranger - 6, Rogue - 4, and Sorceror 2. Didn't have any problems with that character. I did raise him up to Ranger - 11, Rogue - 4, Sorceror - 5.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:56 PM   #9
AndyG
Elminster

I would ditch the levels in fighter completely. Just go ranger/rogue. I personally feel taking more than two classes really dilutes your level potential. The extra feats for being a fighter come in handy, but you'll do fine with ranger and rogue.

I think adding rogue levels to any fighter or fighter sub-class beefs them up significantly. Rogue sneak attacks add a lot of damage, and they can go off more often than you think. If you use a henchman, and the enemy attacks them, you'll get constant sneak attacks, which really knock an enemy out. Also, the Evasion feat allows you to avoid a lot of damage from traps and spells.

I really found ranger/rogue to be a fun class combination. You can use ranged attacks to soften up an enemy, then switch to your dual weapons and slash them to bits. Just be careful of heavy hitting enemies, because your AC will be on the low side. Keep Potions of Barkskin on hand for tougher fights. The major drawback is that a lot of enemies are immune to critical/sneak attacks. These will be really tough fights. Enemies with this immunity are all undead, all constructs (golems and the like), dragons, and assorted other boss class enemies. There are eight or so areas that have primarily undead for enemies.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 04:18 PM   #10
Tiresius
Dungeon Master

I was thinking about the fighter part too and i realized it would make more sense to just dump it all together. so how do you think i should split the levels? 10/10 even or more like 13 ranger / 7 rogue? And what racial enemies would be good? i just choose undead at the first level because i figured that was sort of a broad category...but what other things should i take? Do i go with the really hard things like dragons or the more frequent enemies? Any other sugestions for either the ranger or rogue class would be appreciated.