Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2000, 10:01 PM   #1
Damballah

Like the topic says, does anyone have a decent strategy for the demilich? The only way i found i could even survive his attacks was to use spell trap from the staff of the magi with my mage ... after that every attack spell I cast he was immune too. Every summons I cast he imprisoned before they could even do anything ( including pit fiends and such. Even Keldorn using the Holy Avenger could only get a hit or two in for 3 points of damage then he got imprisoned with the rest.

Old 10-14-2000, 01:14 AM   #2
password

Lich doesnt have infinite magic jeez. He never imprisoned as much as you make it seem. Like i said in a million posts, summon mordenkainen's sword and summon fiend. However, the best choice here is to dispel or wait out his "physical" protection then summon spiders like i did. They disrupt his spell casting after that. Hope this helps.

Old 10-14-2000, 01:40 AM   #3
TDZHON

*** MAJOR SPOIL ******

I am very low level (12th) and I was able to beat the demi-lich after trying every spell and every combo of things. This is how I did it.

1. Cast "Protection from Undead" on your best fighter armed with the +1 flame tongue (+4 vs Undead). This protection lasts for 10 Turns.
2. Put your chars out of harms way in the extreme corners.
3. Summon some stuff to where he appears so he vents his initial fury on them.
4. Wait out his globes/summons by running upstairs, or fight it out.
5. When he turns into the demi lich, make sure you have some summoned critters around him. When he gives warning he is about to die, run and make sure there are some critters there to cover your escape.
6. Move all your characters out of sight of the demi-lich. He can't move. This may take a few tries, lol.
7. Use a pot of speed on your "undead-proof" fighter (I used minsc).
8. It takes a while, but Minsc will take him out in about 30 hits.

It's worth it - it has a total badazz ring!

Good Luck!

BTW - If you don't have a protection from undead scroll and flame tounge, you are in trouble, heh. And BTW other guy, the Demi-lich has unlimited Imprisonment spells - he Imprisoned my entire 5 summoned beasties and all my party (10) until he got me (number 11), and you can't summon anything while your critters are Imprisoned... I think u were referring to the Lich, not the Demi-lich.

Old 10-14-2000, 01:50 AM   #4
Damballah

Thanks for the advice ill give it a try. And to the person who posted on using morden's sword and the fiend i already tried that, he can imprison all that stuff in about 4 seconds.

Old 10-14-2000, 04:52 AM   #5
Alasyr

First part of fight when the lich (Kangaxx) has a full body I used all magics to kill his defences and get to him with spells and meelee weapon.That part wasn't so tough, but when he said that I freed him and turn into a skull he acts like having magic resistance to everything (at least spells wise).My sollution to the problem was to get protection from magic (found only 2 so far) and use them on two of my characters with +4 or better magic weapons (staff of magi, and everard (spelling) sling which is +5.I slowly pounded him with those two doing him small amount of dammage but in the end he was gone.

Old 10-14-2000, 10:44 AM   #6
TDZHON

I can't believe this game has a staff of the magi, damn!

Anyway, There are a few spells that work against a lich, I remember from "Tomb of Horrors", an AD&D module from the late 70's. If I get to my parents house ever, I'll try and dig up the spells... There are like 8 spells that work, but they are not typical spells, and they do strage damage. I think resurrection will do damage, but raise dead didn't. Anyway, that protection from magic is a great idea, and may be easier to find that scroll than the undead one. I assume you can use some magic blocking potions also.

My problem was since I am only on chap 3, the only weapon I could use was the flame tongue, heh.

Old 10-14-2000, 06:15 PM   #7
Damballah

Ok i finally beat him. I was asking about the demilich ( the floating skull ) not the lich that he forms from. You can pretty much smack any lich in the game easy with a little dose of sunray. The protection from undead scroll works wonders. He wont even attack whoever has that protection up. I never thought to use it before because it says it will only work agaisnt undead physical attacks, not magical. Anyway to make a long story short just as the first lich was dying i used the scroll on Keldorn ( armed with the Holy Avenger ) and then pulled the rest of the party out of site. The thing just sat there and let Keldorn beat on him, he did absolutely nothing. Finally his morale broke and I had the rest of the party join in with melee attacks. The victory kind of tasted like ashes. THe demilich is so insane ... and then you use that scroll and he'll just sit there. Granted he'll get anyone in sight that doesnt have protection from the scroll however ...

Old 01-13-2001, 11:55 AM   #8
Karl

I think that Protection from Undead thing is definitely a bug in the system. The first time I used the scroll was in the first encounter with Bodhi. I used the scrolls on two of my fighters (including the main character) and started attacking her. I read somewhere on this board that she has around 100 hps the first time around. However, when she got to the Near Dead status, Bodhi just stood there while my two fighters inflicted 300 hps+ damage! I finally got the idea to Dispel Magic the protection from my main character and then Bodhi started moving around.

Old 01-13-2001, 01:10 PM   #9
Elric Morlockin

Just an idea... Try using the spell wizard eye (lower lvl), it will work the same way that the Mordenkainen sword spell does. Have Spells like: Melfs Minute Meteors, ready and fighters wielding +4 or better weapons. The demi-lich is distracted by the wizard eye (cant entrap it) and the rest of your party can freely "hack away"!

Old 01-13-2001, 01:32 PM   #10
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

hehe. I used the same tactic when I fought the black dragon. It attacked my wizards eye, and I could just blast it with arrows and magic. The eye never got killed, and just stood there got hit by the dragon.