Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 09:44 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

My Spanish 415 professor will not miss me, I am sure. For some reason, she has been giving me trouble anyway, so last night when I had a choice between doing the homework late at night (12am-1am) or not going to class and waiting until Tuesday to turn it in after having the weekend to work on it, I chose the latter.

I assume that everybody that has ever been to school has skipped a day for one reason or another.

The challenge is this...who has the most interesting story to tell as to why you skipped a class?

Also, do you feel worried when you skip...like will it hurt your final grade or something?
Old 11-17-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
Grojlach
Zartan

You rebel you.

I skip Uni classes on a daily basis (simply out of disinterest/laziness/whatever); yet my grades are still in the cum laude region, so I'm not really worried.
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:55 AM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
You rebel you.

I skip Uni classes on a daily basis (simply out of disinterest/laziness/whatever); yet my grades are still in the cum laude region, so I'm not really worried.
cum laude ???

Do I even want to know?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:16 AM   #4
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

cum laude = getting your degree with an average 8 or higher, on a 1-10 scale. I suppose for english gradesystems this would be a B+ or A?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:21 AM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
cum laude = getting your degree with an average 8 or higher, on a 1-10 scale. I suppose for english gradesystems this would be a B+ or A?
I think we have a traditional 4.0% grade system in US schools, with the occasional 5.0 in some. Those that achieve at least a 3.8% are considered something or other, but I do not remember what they're called.

4.0 = A
3.8 = (This and above get recognition in a four-point school)
3.5 = B+
3.0 = B
2.75 = (Minimum for teachers degrees in NC.)
2.5 = C+ (Cut off for most degrees I think)
2.0 = C

cum laude...I just thought he was being silly and spelling "loud" a funny way. Is that really what they call it?

[ 11-17-2005, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 11-17-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

At my high school...

cum laude - 3.0 GPA
summa cum laude - 3.3 GPA
magna cum laude - 3.6 GPA

Or something like that.

I've skipped... the one that sticks in my mind the most at this point is one evening where I spent it with my girlfriend at the time... nuff said. I didn't make it to sleep until way, way late, and didn't make it to class the next day. At all.

My French professor (who is still a friend, many years later) asked where I was. I told him a friend had a problem, and I spent the evening and early morning consoling her... somewhat true

Fortunately, he never pressed for details
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:04 AM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I have tons of interesting skip stories. Skipping to drink beer and party. Skipping to "tune in and turn on" with friends. Skipping to go work a double shift waiting tables. Skipping to play video games for the 36th hour in a row. Skipping to play D&D. Skipping to watch Animaniacs. Skipping to hike. Skipping to fish. Skipping to swim and cliff dive. You name it.

Problem is my skipping at uni was directly reflected in my grades. I went to a small uni, and profs would know if you skipped -- and it mattered a great deal.

In law school I got over it, and was glad indeed.

Yes, it's "cum laude" and it's latin for "with praise" or "with distinction." If you get good grades, you can graduate cum laude, and if you get very good grades you get magna cum laude, and if you roxxors you get summa cum laude.

And it goes on your diploma and on your resume -- so it's a mark of distinction that follows you forever. Lucky for me.

[ 11-17-2005, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 11-17-2005, 11:38 AM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I missed classes on occasion and graduated (BA) cum laude from my University, so I don't think it hurts too much unless you miss a LOT of classes and don't catch up on the material OR your prof takes off on your final grade for absences which a lot of them have taken to doing around here.

Guess we know what YOU'LL be doing this weekend, Larry!
Old 11-17-2005, 12:35 PM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I once skipped class three weeks in a row, i guess i totally didn't feel like going to school for a while. At school i had them thinking i was sick, and at home they believed i was at school, because i left home every morning at 8 AM with my bag full of schoolbooks and stuff.

I had my daily routines for as far as i can remember them, and the first thing i did was buy a newspaper at the station, and then go read it somewhere where i could buy me a cup of coffee, which was usually McDonalds. After that i just roamed around the city until it was 13.00. Then i went to the cinema and bought me a ticket for whatever movie started at 13.30. I actually saw the movie "Alligator" 7 times during those three weeks, but i couldn't care less. Then after the movie i took a bus home, and acted like i just came from school.

After the third week one of my classmates told me on the phone that one of our teachers was collecting money among the students to buy me something, for being sick so long and all, so the next day i went back to school, to prevent me from an embarrassing situation. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 02:12 PM   #10
Stratos
Vampire

I skip class too ever now and then. The classes, which amounts to one per day, tend to be overwievs on the textbooks anyway and as long as you're actually study some while skipping class, it doesn't really matter.

Edit: As a matter of fact, I'm planning to skip class tomorrow. I think I'll do the laundry instead.

[ 11-17-2005, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]