Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-30-2004, 10:53 AM   #11
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I think they had to drop Mozilla for legal reasons, right?
Old 10-30-2004, 11:12 AM   #12
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

I'm extremely happy with Firefox.

Hark, how and where did you get this IE2? Is that part of the WinXP SP2 Patch? I agree with your philosophy on over-protecting IE, it's the main source that everything is targeted towards.

Mozilla is the name of the mother 'ship' and there are different programs under that 'brand'. One can research Here and find 'Mozilla' which is a full client; browser, e-mail, news, and some other niceties that one should expect. Firefox is the name of the stand alone browser. 'Thunderbird' is the name of the stand alone e-mail, and this is the name I recall that was challenged, but I have not followed the legalities.

[ 10-30-2004, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Felix The Assassin ]

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:19 AM   #13
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Nope. All of the Mozilla projects are from www.mozilla.org, which is Mozilla (suite), Mozilla Thunderbird (stand-alone mail client), Mozilla Firefox (stand-alone browser) and also Mozilla Sunbird (stand-alone calendar program, not-so-well known... more buggy than the rest IMO).

The prefix of "Mozilla %program%" is still the official name for all of the above mentioned programs but most people just omit the "Mozilla" out because of the confusion between the Mozilla Suite and Mozilla Firefox.

Additional link:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/

Damn... Felix beat me to it.

[ 10-30-2004, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 10-30-2004, 11:44 AM   #14
philip
Galvatron

Mozilla, as in the complete suite is really slow compared to stand alone browser firefox so that's why I use firefox.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:48 AM   #15
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I'm sure it was "Firebird" that was changed to "Firefox". And yes, I use Thunderbird on this PC for email. Again, Netscape on the older one.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:49 AM   #16
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Hang on someone give me a clue here... What's so special about these other browsers? I mean, I've only ever seen IE, what can they do that IE cant?
Old 10-30-2004, 12:07 PM   #17
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
I'm extremely happy with Firefox.

Hark, how and where did you get this IE2? Is that part of the WinXP SP2 Patch? I agree with your philosophy on over-protecting IE, it's the main source that everything is targeted towards.

Mozilla is the name of the mother 'ship' and there are different programs under that 'brand'. One can research Here and find 'Mozilla' which is a full client; browser, e-mail, news, and some other niceties that one should expect. Firefox is the name of the stand alone browser. 'Thunderbird' is the name of the stand alone e-mail, and this is the name I recall that was challenged, but I have not followed the legalities.
here is the link to MyIE2
http://www.myie2.com/html_en/home.htm

apparently they just recently renamed it to maxthon... but its still the same. just check it out. its pretty good.

and i use mozilla email which is pretty good as well [img]smile.gif[/img] .

edit: here is my link to maxthon
http://www.maxthon.com/en/index.htm

which is just the same actually

edit2:.. btw.. i forgot to tell you that MYIE2 is like a add-on program for IE. it has all the IE features you have and more.. like i said earlier.. tab browsing is the best.

[ 10-30-2004, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Old 10-30-2004, 12:33 PM   #18
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
Hang on someone give me a clue here... What's so special about these other browsers? I mean, I've only ever seen IE, what can they do that IE cant?
IE security isnt that secure. hackers usually target IE because its a popular browser which many people use. some website targets IE weakness and flaws. some of the other browsers doesnt have these kinds of flaws

of course it has its downsides like some websites need IE to be accessed in the first place because of some special plug-ins like for my school. ah well. its your choice really.

Catch me if you can..
Old 10-30-2004, 12:39 PM   #19
philip
Galvatron

Well here's some things:
-firefox has no activeX
-firefox has configurable java and javascript
-firefox can block loose cookies
-firefox has a built-in popup stopper
-firefox can block outside server cookies
-firefox is free and cross-platform
-firefox is w3c
Old 10-30-2004, 03:39 PM   #20
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
I'm sure it was "Firebird" that was changed to "Firefox". And yes, I use Thunderbird on this PC for email. Again, Netscape on the older one.
You are right. "Firebird" was rebranded to "Firefox" and Mozilla Org trademarked it. This is due to the confusion and harassment from a *company which has already trademarked the "firebird" for their products.

* Couldn't recall which company it was.

[ 10-30-2004, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]