Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2001, 10:24 AM   #1
Pi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi world
Last night i killed the shadow dragon of the ruined temple and so i said to myself : "yeahh, now lets go kick fridragg (the big red dragon )"
Bad idea !!
Anyone know how to prevent him to cast so much spell. I tried some attack spell but with his magic resistance, it's very hard. And more he can see my invisible paladin ( bad day for him.. . Even cloud kill doesn't work
Well any suggestion for a strategy ?

thanks for help
Pi
Old 03-19-2001, 10:37 AM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

Hi Pi! Welcome to the Board!
Well there are a zillion ways to do it and everybody has their own opinions about it. It might be a good idea to use the search option of the forum and you will find a lot of useful information on killing Big Red.
A summary:
Relatively "easy" ways to do it:
- use a thief (like Yoshimo) with sufficient points in 'set snares' to put as many traps around the dragon when he's still "blue". Rest and repeat the process until he's surrounded by traps. Now attack him with a ranged weapon so that he turns red and....watch the fireworks!
- keep the rest of your party well back and send an improved invisible mage with a Wand of Cloudkill in. Cast a few cloudkills just at the edge of the 'fog of war' (the shady dark area where he can't see you) to soften him up a bit. If you repeat it enough times he'll die.

If you really want it to be a proper fight, then these tactics will be handy:
- make sure you summon LOTS of creatures; elementals, monsters, fiends whatever. They can serve as fodder for the Wing Buffet attacks.
- make sure to have Jaheira or another druid memorise some Magic Resistance spells. You can cast those without Firkraag turing red and they will actually *lower* his magic resistance. The mage spell Lower resistance is good as well but it will turn him red.

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the OHF and the LH

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-19-2001, 11:07 AM   #3
Pippin from Shire
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just shove him with some Cloudkill about 3 times.. and then check before he heals himself all your fighters just hack and slash and your mage/mages cast magic missile.. =)

------------------
I protect and serve my humble and gentle cousin Frodo from Shire.
Old 03-19-2001, 11:39 AM   #4
Pi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

is the spell Magic resistance lower the resistance without turning him red ??

hmmm i must try it

Old 03-19-2001, 11:47 AM   #5
white heron
Manshoon

Yeah,i think Melusine has the better idea-replace Firkraag's huge magic resistance with a lower value using a 'magic resistance' spell and then 'lower resistance'( 3 mages to cast lower resistance simultaniously is preferable).
'pierce magic' and 'breach' may be useful too.
- and definitely go with the ;Trap/sleep/trap/sleep idea too.

------------------
"The temple is I and I am the temple".
Old 03-19-2001, 11:59 AM   #6
KTRP
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Pi:
I´m Spanish and I don´t speak English very well,
For kill any dragons:
You need: 3 wizzard 13º level minimun (2spell in level 5 rest magic resistence, and every spell of first level: magic misil)and spell of summonig creatures.

2 or more warriors
firs steep: summonig 5 creatures,
2º steep: creatures and warriors, attack the objetive(the red,balck,shadow or silver dragon )while wizzard must cast 4 rest magic resistence to the dragon
3º steep: the dragon will first to creatures and warriors; after wizzard have reduced the magic resistence of the dragon in ha 92% or more, use magic misil.... 5 for wizzard, 5 misil for spell, damage 1-5 for misil, I need say more?Pi

------------------
???
Old 03-19-2001, 12:05 PM   #7
Pi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well , i tried to summoned some creature but Fridrak is a funny boy : he casted charm monster on it and after i must fight against one dragon and one fire elemental .... pffff hard work
I think that i need to prevent him for casting spell before going to fight with my paladin and his 90 % resist fire.

i Want my pal to put his foot on the head of the dragon to make a beautiful screenshot
Old 03-19-2001, 12:37 PM   #8
Bruce The Aussie
Fzoul Chembryl

the way i did it was to summon 4 fire elementals cast protect from evil 30 radius then get your tanks and the fire elementals to run up to him and start trying to hit him while they do that cast loads of spells on him
Old 03-19-2001, 12:42 PM   #9
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

you wan Firakaag's stats?

AC -12
Thac0 -20
number of attacks: 5
HP: (err... not sure, 200+)
Magic resistence: 60%

therefore, if you want to beat him with your fighter, at least have 0 thac0, thn you can have a chance to hit him.

he has 60% magic resis, so you dont need three lower resistence on him.

good luck

Old 03-19-2001, 02:30 PM   #10
Rikard

Well this might comford you
I easely killed Shadowdragon and i though well let's kill big red
the opposite happend
20 times in a row
so i decited to go to the asylum first
and when i came back i was able to cast abidalzims horrit wilthing
I lowered his resistance casted about 4 abi dalzims horrit wilthings and a bunch of holy smithings and other spells
And killed Firkraag

Be patient and get stronger

------------------

The Legend Master Necromancer
Prince Rikard T'Aranaxz of Natri'x
Clanmaster and Mental Father of the OHF
Ramanish of Neathan'Calith
High Priest and son of the Eternal Phoenix
Lord and General of the Army of the West

AND!!!
Laughing Hyena!!!