Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-01-2001, 01:19 PM   #1
Moiraine
Anubis

I have not been able to find again the thread with your post, fighter-thief, but I promised you an answer so ...

It grieves my little heart that such a nice person like you should feel bad thinking that many other people in the world don't like you Americans. Of course a lot of narrow-minded ass-pinched people exist in every country. But there are also a lot of other persons who do not make generalizations. None of us on the board does, for a start. You Americans, like Australians, have had the great chance, about 200 years ago, to give yourself a fresh start, away from the weight of old thinking and living customs, and the pettiness of centuries-long social organization. Your ancestors have had to fight hard to conquer a new world, and that has made you stronger and more confident in yourselves, and more pragmatic and optimistic too.

Besides, you have an history ! Your European ancestors are us ! Which makes you our cousins, sort of. One point of view could be to see us as those who did not have the guts to cross the ocean and made themselves a new life.

I can give you a brief insight into what I think are the flaws in the old French culture. We as a people are basically mistrusting. In our culture is deeply rooted the notion that if you trust someone you don't know, it makes you vulnerable, and so the other will take advantage of you and harm you. This often bangs in my head with my personal trusting nature (generally my nature wins the fight, but I have ended hurt sometimes before). Another flaw would be that we tend to be pessimistic. Both these lead to us being a people very protective of his ways and habits.
I don't speak about individual persons here, I only point general French cultural tendancies.

As for you being a new Romain Empire ... all the stuff you make, songs, movies, books, and even words, ..., have been on top of the fashion here for many many years ! Here, take a very old toy for example, and give it a new American name, and it sells like a dream ! This happened this very Christmas with the newly named "city runner" (instead of "trottinette", my father had one as a child) ... all the kids wanted one ! We love you Americans, and you know, in every love, there is a small part of hate ...

There are an optimism and a power in the books or movies or songs coming from US that we Frenchies are unable to match. We tend to specialize in psychological introspective intellectual (and often boring) stuff. Or funny light movies.

I must go home now, I will continue in another post.
Old 02-01-2001, 09:34 PM   #2
Kylle

All peoples are, by nature, xenophobic [being unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or of foreign peoples]. But this is monkey-logic. Now that we are out of the trees, over-coming this primitive thing is being civilized.

Old 02-02-2001, 04:10 AM   #3
Moiraine
Anubis

OK, Kylle, so give a thought to this simple question : why is it that I am the only French on this board, although I have tried to have other Frenchies coming ?
Old 02-02-2001, 06:35 AM   #4
Moiraine
Anubis

We in France have the chance to catch the David Letterman Late Show, subtitled, only three weeks later than in US.
This show is huge ! Similar shows here in France are having a hard time getting independant from political power. Back in the 70s, such a thing was totally unthinkable.

I remember the show when David Letterman kept saying "We haven't got a president". I had a good laugh ! But then, here in France, I think I can say that we have got the stupidest President of all democracies in the world (Jacques Chirac it is). Back in 1997, when he had been President for 2 years, he decided to dissolve the assembly of deputies, which was politically on the same side as him (we never knew why he did so), and the new elected assembly ended up with a majority of deputies of the opposite side ! So we have had for more than 3 years a right wing President and a left wing Prime Minister. And now his only reserved domain is foreign politic, so he travels to a lot of countries and says a lot of b****. And more, before being elected President, he had been the mayor of Paris for years. Real Mafia it was in Paris (and still is). But French Justice has started to put its nose in Paris government, and the net is closing on him, since new people close to him get prosecuted every day, even if, as a President, he cannot be prosecuted himself just now. But we may well end up in 2002 with the only President of a democracy who will go directly from the Elyseum Palace (our French "White House") to jail ! And YOU from the rest of the world will laugh ...

BTW, our dear President was the first to send a congratulation telegram to Georges W Bush ... before the big mess ...
Old 02-02-2001, 06:46 AM   #5
fighter-thief

Moiraine
hello again and you have to be the best kinda friend for anyone your thoughts reflect an intellengent and caring person.and i feel when i said that america is the next roman empire is because we are americanizeing the world just like they did with the real americans the indians i just feel that way because of how we are here we enjoy the most basic instincts there is no more human decency here anymore hell 20 years ago people would have helped a stranger just from the kindness of thier heart now they wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire i guess i'm just old fashion .and it is true that we are cousins in oneway or an other ,i just read that through DNA they have tracked human origin to Africa some 200,000 years ago [hum don't know why i had to say that]

Kylle
hello i just wanted to answer yor statement with this question

have you ever seen dogs ever afraid to greet each other ,does this mean thier more civilized im not being sarcastic but nature can only adapt now stop being because we build houses and cook with fire it stemes from the "Fight or Flight"theory

Old 02-02-2001, 07:12 AM   #6
fighter-thief

Moiraine
i wish i had read your post about me being the nicest newcomer that was sweet of you and that made my day [i have had a really bad one it started with me leaving for work and i'm backind out of my drive way and i got in the mud and slid into a colvert had to have a tow-truck come and pull me out of my own drive-way [i bet he was laughing to his friend when he was home]then when i do get to work i'm here not two minutes and i spill cofee down the front of myself ,so you can see how good your vote made me feel

Old 02-02-2001, 07:15 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Moiraine you have a talent to make anyone feel special!
Old 02-02-2001, 07:57 AM   #8
Moiraine
Anubis

As the latest news of archaeology seem to indicate, we all came first from Africa, then men went separately to Asia and Europe. Seems that the European men evolved to Homo Neanderthal, while the Asian men became ultimately Homo Sapiens. Also seems that Homo Sapiens came to Europe and overcame Homo Neanderthal, but we don't know how (eg. not necessary involving fighting), as both cultures seem to have lived side by side for quite some time rather peacefully. So all of us are African then Asian, maybe with a small part of European (Neanderthal) blood.
Old 02-02-2001, 08:12 AM   #9
fighter-thief

i for one love history and i believe in God but the more we dig the less likly the bible is true i think god is there just men wrote the bible and developed a way to profit from this [that wouldn't surprise me]people will wounder what i just said is a oxy-moron[?] but i look at it this way before there was nothing then boom the big bang[GOD]then once things settled down GOD gave life to life [small single cell organisms]which latter evoled into small multiple cell organisims [like plancton and small fish-like creatures]and all this with God watching the progress and when man reached a level of intellengence where they could understand him then they sat down a started the bible[ yea somebody isn't going to like this ,people this is a hypothesis and not in any way a fact]

Old 02-02-2001, 09:54 AM   #10
Moiraine
Anubis

Yorick, please be nice !