Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-26-2000, 02:34 PM   #1
UrsinePaws

Can anybody suggest how to attack Umber Hulks and the various Golems in the absence of a mage?

TIA

Old 09-26-2000, 02:41 PM   #2
Melasse

for the golem, i didn`t found any other way than to go on one on one with my hammer +1, +4 giant

For the umber hulks, i fought them one by onbe with ranged attack...i opened the door and waited for them to come to me...

Old 09-26-2000, 02:51 PM   #3
Whisper
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you have 1 (or more) clerics, try using entangle on the Umber Hulks. For the Golems, you are stuck with a toe to toe. I am not sure, but I think that they are too big/strong to be snared thusly. Watch the radius on entangle, btw... It is huge and your players will get snared too.

Whisper
Old 09-26-2000, 10:04 PM   #4
Wretched

Man... Umber Hulks have been the bane of my existence more than once in this game. It's bad enough that they can do tons of damage in melee, but that they confuse your party members, ruining any battle tactics you might've had... they just suck.

Potions of Mind Focusing will keep them from charming your characters, but for a poor adventurer trying to save up to rescue his childhood friend, the expense just isn't possible.

Old 09-29-2000, 02:08 PM   #5
i_am_goliath_one

I used the stinking cloud spell (something like that) and got 3 in one shot.

Old 09-30-2000, 08:58 AM   #6
lzny

Umber Hulks were pretty straightforwad. On golems defending magic could not kill really big one so I used speed on a character grabbed the bow and ran. he couldnt fit through door.

Old 09-30-2000, 10:18 AM   #7
LARS SOLARIN

Easiest way I found for the golems was to open on container at a time, kill those two and so on. For the BIG IRONMAN, I sent my Cavalier forward alone(immunity to poison)and had him bang away with the Hammer. He drank potions when needed and I had Jaheria and Amonen cast heals as needed. Out went the lights! Umber Hulks, allow them to use there gaze up then Dispel Magic and "Hack and Slash your way to fortune!"
Good Gamin,
Lars

Old 09-30-2000, 01:50 PM   #8
Illusionist

Try using Anomen, he's a golem slayer extrordinaire! Here's how I did it: First use a potion of Hill Giant Strength (STR=19), then have him cast Spiritual Hammer. He pounds Golems to dust PDQ! Besides, us girls love a strong, heroic dude.

Old 09-30-2000, 07:41 PM   #9
Prime

ok...
on golems, all of the golems except the clay and maybe the brain ones can be killed with any +3 weapon. Clays and maybe brains need a blunt weapon. However, the Golems you are all talking about are simple to avoid. Have
your cleric cast Sanctuary on herself and then go get the stuff. They'll turn red but will not attack you. and then if you want to kill them, you've picked up the giant killing hammer.

On umber hulks... you can either make them dogmeat stew to pacify them or you can sneak up to get a visual, then cast cloudkill into the room. HTH

Old 09-30-2000, 09:27 PM   #10
UrsinePaws

Many good suggestions here. I appreciate them all.

A question to Prime: Is "dog meat stew" a slang term, or are you saying that I should either summon an animal to occupy a hulk or--*gasp*--kill a stray dog and "sacrifice" it to the beast? (Please indulge if my question should betray some kind of gross ignorance.)

At any rate, quite a challenging game, quite an intricate plot; but on my machine, at any rate, too many crashes. Anybody else having that kind of problem?

Happy gaming to all,
UrsinePaws