Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2001, 03:33 PM   #11
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Cloudy? (sigh) I HATE PERSONALITY TESTS

Yorick, I'm curious... why do you hate them? I'd really like to know. I agree with Cloudquizzer. They can be a fun source of conversation.

BK: I'm Fire-Earth too! Does that make us 'blood-brothers'? Or maybe that's "COLOR-sibs" LOL

Charean... what do you think of this one? Do you think there is a correspondence with the way people score and their astrological chart?

------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.

[This message has been edited by bilqis (edited 03-31-2001).]
Old 03-31-2001, 04:42 PM   #12
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by bilqis:

Yorick, I'm curious... why do you hate them? I'd really like to know. I agree with Cloudquizzer. They can be a fun source of conversation.

BK: I'm Fire-Earth too! Does that make us 'blood-brothers'? Or maybe that's "COLOR-sibs" LOL

Charean... what do you think of this one? Do you think there is a correspondence with the way people score and their astrological chart?

1.Because a human is variable. Answers given in a personality test can be dependent on the preceding events in that persons life. ie. how much sleep they've had, job stress, just won a sporting match, lost an argument with a spouse, bored etc etc.

2.It can limit an individuals growth. They read, oh I'm a such and such, so I behave like this, and don't allow for circumstancial change. Self perception is an important part of determining your environment, so I believe anything that limits that is negative.

3.Personal experience. I was at a workplace that insisted all workers take one of these tests to enable communication. Someone could read what your personality was and then react accordingly. Sounded like an excercise in establishing prejudice and preconception, plus labeling for future reference to me. I refused to do the test BTW. the only one.

4. I've talked to people who define themselves and others by these tests.
"Oh I'm a such and such, and he's a so and so. This will always happen."
And so it does.

For the same reason I avoid astrological charts, and even some so called 'prophecies' the way they are used in some churches. The hope gained through ignorance of the future is to me such a blessing. I don't want to know what's around the corner so I can hope for the outcome I'm mentally projecting.

Anyhow, it ends up being a matter of principle and guarding my subconscious mind. A lot can sink in even in jest, so I avoid it, much like I avoid say MacDonalds because they continue to use such quantities of methane producing beef, and that they expand expand expand in unarrested franchise growth at the expense of other foods.

It is a line I decided not to cross even in jest.

(And please don't say "oh lighten up" or "don't be boring" surely by now you know I love a lark and a joke, and even crack myself up! )

------------------
"Check the sustain on this one ... aaaaaaaa, I mean you could go out for a bite and there'd still be aaaaaaaaa"

"Can I touch it?"
"No. It can't be played"
"Can I look at it?
"No we've seen enough of that one....."

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 03-31-2001, 05:01 PM   #13
Drake
Baaz Draconian

oops

[This message has been edited by Drake (edited 03-31-2001).]
Old 03-31-2001, 05:06 PM   #14
Drake
Baaz Draconian

You scored mainly in the Water-Sky quadrant. This 'Blue' quadrant highlights the water sign of your personality and your tendency to be cool and free-flowing in most circumstances. Water from the sky provides the necessary resources for growth and this is a feature of your approach to life. You will enjoy the freshness of new ideas and actively seek these out, either by talking to others or by reading.

People who map into this quadrant will enjoy examining problems or making discoveries. Consequently, you may sometimes tend to take your time in coming to decisions which affect your day-to-day life. If there are any uncertainties, your natural reaction will be to postpone things until you are sure.

You are unlikely to enjoy conflict situations which, more than likely, will create stress for you. In these circumstances you may well be a 'worrier' and this could affect your health. As a result you will usually move to defuse any potential conflicts well before they occur.

You will be a considerate person and choose your words carefully so that you don't upset others. Sometimes however, you may be so subtle that people don't realize what you are feeling about a particular issue. You may need to check that people fully understand your views and incorporate these into their decision making.

Being a sky person, you may well have a strong imagination which causes you to fantasize about the future. Future possibilities interest you greatly whereas the past is something you can readily put behind you. However, be careful that you don't live too much in the future. There are the realities of day-to-day living to think about.

------------------

Drake A.K.A. bocaj
Old 03-31-2001, 05:23 PM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:
You scored mainly in the Fire-Earth quadrant. This 'Red' quadrant highlights the fire sign of your personality and your tendency
to act in the heat of the moment, dealing with practical 'down-to-earth' matters which concern you. You tend to be an action-oriented
person who can't wait to get involved and sort things out. It is not for you to sit on the side lines of life reacting to circumstances.
You are more likely to jump in and influence the way things are going. You are a player on the field of life rather than a spectator.

People who map into this quadrant like to find solutions to problems and implement them as quickly as possible. You may
sometimes become impatient with people who can't make up their minds or who want to analyze things to death. Taking action is
much more preferable to you, even if your solution is not 100% correct and may need to be modified.

You are likely to be a person who will deal with conflict issues in a direct and positive way. If necessary you will give your opinion,
even though others may not agree with you.. This openness and forthright characteristic is in general an advantage as people will
usually know where you stand on any issue. However there may be times when being tactful, rather than 'open' could be a better
strategy for you.

Seems I am the direct opposite of ya, cb.

BK
Ahhh, BK, but you know what they say about opposites, hmmmm?

CB

------------------
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Old 03-31-2001, 05:45 PM   #16
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

This just isn't going to end without a R rating, is it?

------------------

Jerome, Arch Nemisis of the OHF
Old 03-31-2001, 05:58 PM   #17
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerome:
This just isn't going to end without a R rating, is it?
Neat pic, Jerome!
Nope...
Old 03-31-2001, 06:09 PM   #18
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
1.Because a human is variable. Answers given in a personality test can be dependent on the preceding events in that persons life. ie. how much sleep they've had, job stress, just won a sporting match, lost an argument with a spouse, bored etc etc.

2.It can limit an individuals growth. They read, oh I'm a such and such, so I behave like this, and don't allow for circumstancial change. Self perception is an important part of determining your environment, so I believe anything that limits that is negative.

3.Personal experience. I was at a workplace that insisted all workers take one of these tests to enable communication. Someone could read what your personality was and then react accordingly. Sounded like an excercise in establishing prejudice and preconception, plus labeling for future reference to me. I refused to do the test BTW. the only one.

4. I've talked to people who define themselves and others by these tests.
"Oh I'm a such and such, and he's a so and so. This will always happen."
And so it does.

For the same reason I avoid astrological charts, and even some so called 'prophecies' the way they are used in some churches. The hope gained through ignorance of the future is to me such a blessing. I don't want to know what's around the corner so I can hope for the outcome I'm mentally projecting.

Anyhow, it ends up being a matter of principle and guarding my subconscious mind. A lot can sink in even in jest, so I avoid it, much like I avoid say MacDonalds because they continue to use such quantities of methane producing beef, and that they expand expand expand in unarrested franchise growth at the expense of other foods.

It is a line I decided not to cross even in jest.

(And please don't say "oh lighten up" or "don't be boring" surely by now you know I love a lark and a joke, and even crack myself up! )

Yorick-
Fair enough. Not going to say lighten up or any such thing. FWIW I did post this only for fun and to get discussion going.

To tell the truth, this is the first time I think I've seen your points laid out so neatly and completely. And for the record, I'm in complete agreement with 1, 2, 4 and the whole 'astrological chart' thing (albeit for somewhat different reasons that you put forth here).

As for 3, well I used to be one of those who 'analyzed' and explained the Minn Multiphasic Personality test as an intern back in college at a counseling center. Yes they are extremely subject to interpetation and how you feel when you input the original data. I'm not qualified to dissect it any more than that, but suffice it to say that in my training sessions we were told that the tests were not 100% and were only one 'tool' in working with and individual. Never put much stock in them, because I '*knew* how we were interpreting the results...very shaky. So, I guess I'm saying, bully for you if you felt that way and stood your ground.

No offense? None intended.

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 03-31-2001).]
Old 03-31-2001, 06:10 PM   #19
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:

Yorick: I would never say that about your genuine opinion. You are entitled to it and I thank you so much for sharing it!

I agree with you in many ways. As in all such things there is danger in being influenced. So much of western society is influenced by media & advertising, for instance, to the point where most of us aren't even aware of how it's affecting our views of ourselves, or of others.

That being said, I enjoy those kinds of tests. I like to look for clues to how I am because for so many years I had no idea who I was or how others perceived me or how I came across. So now it's just fun.

Thanks again for sharing. I appreciate it! (by the way, my husband, who teaches marketing & advertising at university agrees with you wholeheartedly!)

------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.
Old 03-31-2001, 11:56 PM   #20
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Yorick-
Fair enough. Not going to say lighten up or any such thing. FWIW I did post this only for fun and to get discussion going.

To tell the truth, this is the first time I think I've seen your points laid out so neatly and completely. And for the record, I'm in complete agreement with 1, 2, 4 and the whole 'astrological chart' thing (albeit for somewhat different reasons that you put forth here).

As for 3, well I used to be one of those who 'analyzed' and explained the Minn Multiphasic Personality test as an intern back in college at a counseling center. Yes they are extremely subject to interpetation and how you feel when you input the original data. I'm not qualified to dissect it any more than that, but suffice it to say that in my training sessions we were told that the tests were not 100% and were only one 'tool' in working with and individual. Never put much stock in them, because I '*knew* how we were interpreting the results...very shaky. So, I guess I'm saying, bully for you if you felt that way and stood your ground.

No offense? None intended.

Cloudy

LOL. So normally you find my post what? eh Cloudy? They ALL make perfect sense to ME I know you said what you did. Bilqis did ask you know I wasn't going to talk... honestly

Oh, I probably share those other reasons you're anti astro-chart BTW, this is just the practical effect that supports those other reasons.

Bilqis, thanks. My ex-wife has a degree in advertising/philosophy (dble major).
She now works as a media/marketing hotshot.

------------------
"Check the sustain on this one ... aaaaaaaa, I mean you could go out for a bite and there'd still be aaaaaaaaa"

"Can I touch it?"
"No. It can't be played"
"Can I look at it?
"No we've seen enough of that one....."

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!