Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-22-2001, 11:06 AM   #11
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Not jumping on this bandwagon -- here is a brief commentary on these "principles" :

Rule # 1: This doesn't mean one should go out of one's way to screw over others and be generally unfair. One should strive to make life more fair -- oops, I suppose Gates can't reconcile that with his own approach to life and "success" though.

Rule # 2: One of my pet peeves is when people couch their own personal beliefs as what "the world" believes.

Rule # 3: Well, it is possible, just unusual. But so what? Is this where we applaud Mr. Gates profundity?

Rule # 4: Bosses and teachers both run the full spectrum from assholes to cool people, tough to lenient, etc.

Rule # 5: Yea, preach to them about the joys of minimum wage jobs Mr. Billionare.

Rule # 6: This says a lot about Mr. Gates own relatively easy path in life.

Rule # 7: Yea, call them trash who need to be deloused. Way to go on the motivational speech there Bill.

Rule # 8: Hmmm . . . I don't know, sounds like a lot of jobs out there, like some government positions.

Rule # 9: Right, corporations are only interested in you as a slave and only care about money. Isn't it great that they so largely dictate the structure of our society?

Rule # 10: Really, Bill? Damn, where would we be without your keen insight?

Rule # 11: One should strive to be nice to everyone, nerd or not, without the expectation that one will receive financial reward for doing so. Oh wait, Bill can't reconcile that with his own life either. Nevermind.
Is it me or did I notice a little bit of sarcasm?

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.

[This message has been edited by Redblueflare (edited 08-22-2001).]
Old 08-22-2001, 11:09 AM   #12
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Not jumping on this bandwagon -- here is a brief commentary on these "principles" :

Rule # 1: This doesn't mean one should go out of one's way to screw over others and be generally unfair. One should strive to make life more fair -- oops, I suppose Gates can't reconcile that with his own approach to life and "success" though.

Rule # 2: One of my pet peeves is when people couch their own personal beliefs as what "the world" believes.

Rule # 3: Well, it is possible, just unusual. But so what? Is this where we applaud Mr. Gates profundity?

Rule # 4: Bosses and teachers both run the full spectrum from assholes to cool people, tough to lenient, etc.

Rule # 5: Yea, preach to them about the joys of minimum wage jobs Mr. Billionare.

Rule # 7: Yea, call them trash who need to be deloused. Way to go on the motivational speech there Bill.

Rule # 8: Hmmm . . . I don't know, sounds like a lot of jobs out there, like some government positions.

Rule # 9: Right, corporations are only interested in you as a slave and only care about money. Isn't it great that they so largely dictate the structure of our society?

Rule # 11: One should strive to be nice to everyone, nerd or not, without the expectation that one will receive financial reward for doing so. Oh wait, Bill can't reconcile that with his own life either. Nevermind.
I knew that I could always count on Dio to provide the flip side to the coin.

------------------
Old 08-22-2001, 11:46 AM   #13
Istaron
Banned User

Quote:

I feel I like to comment on Diogenes somewhat... stupid (to put it plain) words.

#1: Hell, one person can't make any different in this world. Besides, Mr Bill does actually donates a big part of his wealth.

#2: no comment

#3: no comment

#4: no comment

#5: Do you think he became billionaire his first day at work? Sure, his parents were rich, but not THAT rich. And he did drop out of highschool, colleage or whatever you go in america

#6: As I said, it wasn't really easy, even tough someone may have had a harde time.

#7: ...you got one there

#8: no comment

#9: Well, that is as it should be in a well-ordered socity

#10: no comment

#11: Good point

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 08-22-2001, 12:37 PM   #14
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Istaron:
#1: Hell, one person can't make any different in this world. Besides, Mr Bill does actually donates a big part of his wealth.

#5: Do you think he became billionaire his first day at work? Sure, his parents were rich, but not THAT rich. And he did drop out of highschool, colleage or whatever you go in america

#6: As I said, it wasn't really easy, even tough someone may have had a harde time.

#9: Well, that is as it should be in a well-ordered socity

#1 -- So what are you saying? One person can't make a difference in this world, so we might as well be unfair to one another?

Btw, there are reasons for Mr. Gates to give away large sums of money to charity other than the kindness in his heart, like the significant tax advantages he gains by doing so.

#5 & #6 -- Did I say he became a billionare on his first day of work? My point was that he has had a RELATIVELY easy time of it in his life, so the image of him preaching about the virtues of hard work at low end jobs as the gateway to prosperity is not exactly convincing.

#9 -- As it should be in a well ordered society? Huh? Caring only for money and seeing people as slaves is the natural and normal state of humankind, eh? Wonderful philosophy you have there.

[This message has been edited by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown (edited 08-22-2001).]
Old 08-22-2001, 01:13 PM   #15
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
#1 -- So what are you saying? One person can't make a difference in this world, so we might as well be unfair to one another?

Btw, there are reasons for Mr. Gates to give away large sums of money to charity other than the kindness in his heart, like the significant tax advantages he gains by doing so.

#5 & #6 -- Did I say he became a billionare on his first day of work? My point was that he has had a RELATIVELY easy time of it in his life, so the image of him preaching about the virtues of hard work at low end jobs as the gateway to prosperity is not exactly convincing.

#9 -- As it should be in a well ordered society? Huh? Caring only for money and seeing people as slaves is the natural and normal state of humankind, eh? Wonderful philosophy you have there.

[This message has been edited by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown (edited 08-22-2001).]
1>If you look at the original quote it is about life not being fair, in other words, sometimes you will fail and sometimes things will not go your way, or you might not get what you want, so don't sit and bitch about it and whine to anyone that will listen. Take these failures and mistakes and use them to your advantage...you cannot change to past but you can learn from it

As for Mr. Gates giving his money away, it has nothing to do with tax advantages...did you make this up? The majority of his wealth is held in Microsoft stock, you do not pay taxes when you hold the stock, only when you sell, then you pay a little something called capital gains tax...and there is no 'tax shelter' for capital gains...you cannot escape capital gains tax through donating money to charity.

5&6> How do you define Relatively...he had parents that made money, but did not 'fund' his way through life. Sure he did not have to wait tables to pay his way through college, but I didn't either. So what if his first job was not minimum wage, it was probably less then minimum wage when you factor in hours worked to income. He started with Paul Allen working around 16-20 hour days, going months with no income. The very first employee he hired (a secretary) worked not knowing if she would get paid from week to week. He actually told her that in the interview "I may not always be able to pay you". Sure he is a billionaire now, but he did work his way there

9>I think again you misunderstand the original quote. He is saying that when you are at work, you work. The company should not be a vehicle for finding yourself. You should devote your work time firstly to bettering the compnay, and if this makes you a better person at the same time, then so be it.

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Old 08-22-2001, 01:54 PM   #16
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I thought Gates' words were a good, accurate description of how life in the capitalist world often IS, not how it should be. It's not a religious/philisophical ideals manifesto, but an almost cynical but realistic take on what the kids should expect about the "real world".

I found it quite soberingly humorous - actualy I may as well say hot/cold just to be even more muddled.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-22-2001, 08:10 PM   #17
Akasha
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My bro Larry has spoken of ya once or twice, seen him lately?
I was just wondering if he'd been here yet....
Old 08-22-2001, 08:59 PM   #18
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Hi Akasha! larry has mentioned you. Welcome.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-22-2001, 09:38 PM   #19
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
If Bill Gates said this, my respect for the man has increased tenfold. This should be on the bulletin board of every school!

Sazerac hear hear!!!!!! and I'm a Mac man

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"