Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...e.asp?ID=20622

I realise FrontPageMag is disregarded by several here as a right-wing piece of trash, so any collaborating danish news source is welcome as well.

Essentially the gist is that several cartoons were published in a Danish newspaper about mohammed, because of their mocking nature it has enraged a large part of the muslim world who are now threatening to boycott Danish goods, threatening the staff of the paper, and more. The UN has also been brought in (as the article mentions) and seems to be taking the side of the offended muslims.

Should a few cartoons really have this kind of effect? (assuming the story doesn't blow the situation out of proportion) I really like what the newspapers cultural editor said about it: Cultural editor Flemming Rose concurred: “Religious feelings,” he observed, “cannot demand special treatment in a secular society. In a democracy one must from time to time accept criticism or becoming a laughingstock.”

a couple more links from google:

http://www.jp.dk/english_news/artikel:aid=3453692/
http://www.cphpost.dk/get/92856.html
http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/589

[ 01-04-2006, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]
Old 01-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Heh, whilst I don't have a particularly high opinion of FrontPageMag, I can't do anything but agree on the article.

That satire should be met with violence and deaths indicates a religion that takes itself far too seriously for its own good. In the UK certainly, this is not only a problem with Muslims but also with the Sikh community (random link) and something that seriously needs to be addressed.

The Christians in the article are quite right - Christianity is lampooned over here on numerous occasions (and far often than other religions) but no incidents of violence ever occur. When Jerry Springer: The Opera was broadcast, groups of Christians gathered outside and sang hyms in protest. There was no mobs, violence or killings and their behaviour does them great credit.

[ 01-04-2006, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

http://www.renewal.org.au/artcrime/pages/serrano.html

it's an interesting contrast, in the above link we have "art" that is significantly more offensive (can you imagine the backlash from an image of mohammed sitting in urine or gawds forbid a quran) and yet the strongest statement of retribution mentioned against the artist is "I wouldn't like to say nothing to him. I'd just like to punch him on the nose." Hardly equatable to the death threats received by the newspaper staff (the article mentions the paper's offices had to hire security guards) and the cartoonists, and the universal denunciation of Denmark's government by muslim countries the world over for a few cartoons (the art is very similar to that of most political cartoons published in newspapers)