Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2001, 01:45 PM   #1
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Have you ever had those times when you just wish you could pick up your comp and chuck it out the window?? Well I had one tonite. I was on MIrc and ran into a guy in one of the channels who said "Well Gristar(my nickname on there) I guess you should get a new ISP" I thought he was just hassling my ISp for awhile but i got dissconned from the net about 5 mins later. and then when i tried to reconnect it wouldnt let me! after many tries restarting my comp and trying connecting I needed a rest from it and had a relaxing game of BG1. I finally wrote down all the detals off my connection dialer and delted all the current ones. after restarting my comp again I make a new dial up and reenter the old details and wholah it worked! Is this a virus that is currently in use or is this just plain bad luck for me??

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-11-2001, 01:48 PM   #2
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Sounds weird AzureWolf. Know what you mean about wanting to chuck the comp out the window. I have had days like that myself.

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Old 05-11-2001, 01:50 PM   #3
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I got kicked off last night too and couldn't sign on. I figured the storm that was going through the Midwest just wrecked havoc with my ISP set up.
Old 05-11-2001, 01:52 PM   #4
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I assume you are on dial up. It is probably just something going on with your isp. If it happens again, try a different dial up #.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)
Old 05-11-2001, 01:53 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Sounds as if it could have been a glitch, Azurewolf...but knowing some of the kooks and creeps in IRC, the guy could have sent you a "bomb" without you knowing about it. Did you have a DCC connection at the time as well?

A good thing to do is get a "finger" utility so that if anyone tries anything like that you can finger them and get their ISP information. That may have been what he(?) was doing to you.

Old 05-11-2001, 01:56 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

BTW, I used to have a similar problem on my old Trumpet Winsock dial-up connection years ago. It's a 16-bit process. However, since you mention "dial-up networking", I figure you're using the 32-bit Windows 9x dial up utility. It may have a similar problem, though.

Old 05-11-2001, 01:56 PM   #7
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Sounds as if it could have been a glitch, Azurewolf...but knowing some of the kooks and creeps in IRC, the guy could have sent you a "bomb" without you knowing about it. Did you have a DCC connection at the time as well?

A good thing to do is get a "finger" utility so that if anyone tries anything like that you can finger them and get their ISP information. That may have been what he(?) was doing to you.

yeah im thinking it was just a prob with my ISP but it was just such coincidental timing. I had Lockdown for awhile but it kept crashing my comp so i gave up on that and havent had anything since. and yeah i think i did have adcc connection at the time. i cant quite remeber but i think i did. stupid mirc wasnt even working properly for me anywasy so i didnt even end up getting anything

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-11-2001, 03:09 PM   #8
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:

So, did you just say you gave him the finger? I'm so confused/tech illiterate . . .

BK

------------------

The Black Storm Cloud of the Night
Consort to a Queen
Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way
Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Offical Wizard and Warrior Questioner
What is this, the Spanish Inquisition?
Old 05-11-2001, 03:44 PM   #9
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:
Quote:

So, did you just say you gave him the finger? I'm so confused/tech illiterate . . .

BK
Nope. The kind of program that he is referring to (I think)is one that essentially monitors your machine. If there is an intrusion to your machine (like some asshole sending you a "bomb" or virus or whatever), it will detect it and backtrack it to the source to obtain an IP address for you. Once you have that, you can backtrack the IP to the ISP providing service. Most ISPs will immediately shut that asshole down and some will even take it further (i.e. attempt to prosecute...I've seen it before).

This kind of crap pisses me off! I love it when some jerk tries that kind of crap with me. Hah! They don't know that I'm prepared for their pathetic attempts to take me down...and they end up being out an ISP as soon as I can feasibly make it happen. Hee-hee...