Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2004, 01:17 AM   #1
Aerich
Lord Ao

Yes, I know, an unabashed blatant takeoff of John D's post. Here goes:

1) Neither candidate has shown himself to his best advantage.

2) One of these two will be president; both sides will have to live with whoever it is.

3) The muckrakers and general political slimeballs on both sides are having a field day.

4) The slimeballs and the media are colluding to ensure that the voters rarely hear anything substantial about meaningful issues.

5) I'm so stinking tired of the election hype that I wish it were over already.

[ 10-28-2004, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 10-28-2004, 02:43 AM   #2
Lucern
Quintesson

Soon enough Aerich..uh..if there's a clear winner anyway. Which there may not be [img]smile.gif[/img]

Though in our system he's a complete waste of a vote, Ralph Nader is honest at least. He has nothing to lose, nor is he a target (or subject) of any kind of media that I've seen. I saw one exception yesterday when he was talking about Kerry.
It seems he's only news when he's talking about a valid candidate.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 08:51 AM   #3
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
Yes, I know, an unabashed blatant takeoff of John D's post. Here goes:

1) Neither candidate has shown himself to his best advantage.

2) One of these two will be president; both sides will have to live with whoever it is.

3) The muckrakers and general political slimeballs on both sides are having a field day.

4) The slimeballs and the media are colluding to ensure that the voters rarely hear anything substantial about meaningful issues.

5) I'm so stinking tired of the election hype that I wish it were over already.
I'm with you on this one, Aerich (though I did enjoy "Hale" Harris' rant also.

I am sick and tired of the lies, obfuscations and hyperbole from BOTH sides. Both parties focus more on attacking their opponent than on stating what they will do for the country and the issues we face. Even when they DO focus on the issues, they use exaggerated statistics and data to support their view and to attack their opponents.

Kerry says that 45 million Americans currently are without Health Insurance. He neglects to mention that almost half this figure (around 20 million, IIRC) are people that have lost group insurance because they are in between jobs. It doesn't mean they are incapable of getting health coverage on their own (indeed, they will get new coverage as soon as they get their next job), but Kerry makes it sound like all 45 million are UNABLE to get Health Insurance AT ALL. Believe me, I know about this situation. I have a chronic illness that can be very devastating. So it is literally impossible for me to get private health insurance. I cannot get health coverage AT ALL unless I have a job at a place offering a group policy. So not only are my insurance options limited, my job options are also limited. But I make the best of the situation.

Bush - on the other hand - has supposedly grossly exaggerated the cost of Kerry's proposed Health Plan by several billion (if not trillion) dollars.

I'm just sick of it all. Even in the our local politics, we have a candidate running for NC Senate that I actually happen to know personally. He is a retired judge from my hometown and his wife was one of my favorite teachers in high school. He is running against an incumbant and faces a major battle - so he has supposedly resorted to his own "smear campaign" against his opponent. This week's local newspaper is FULL of letters to the Editor, many either supporting or condemning this local guy and his ad campaign. The candidates son wrote a ringing letter of endorsement saying that merely pointing out the actual voting record of the opponent is not a smear campaign. Well, yes and no. IF you JUST point out that Senator X voted "for" this bill or "against" that bill, that is one thing. But when you add the political commentary that "Senator X does not CARE about the needs of western NC", THEN you have gone beyond "merely reporting the voting record".

And that's the problem with all smear campaigns. It starts out under the guise of "just informing the public of my opponents record", but it quickly sinks into a character assassination of the opponent BASED on the exposed voting record.

Personally, I just look up website or newspaper articles that simply list how various candidates voted on various issues and then decide for myself how well they support the issues important to me.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:36 AM   #4
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I had to hunt down a site to find the candidates stated views! It seems like they avoid meaningful discussion of important issues like the plague. It's much easier to point out someone elses flaws than make committments.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:12 AM   #5
Grojlach
Zartan

It's not just the candidates who aren't showing themselves to their best advantage...

Democratic example: Man Accused of Trying to Run Down Harris
Republican example: Man threatened to stab girlfriend for voting Kerry

And whoever is going to win these elections, please please please let it be by a wide margin so tensions will cool down a bit within a week or so.

[ 10-28-2004, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 09:12 PM   #6
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Whoever thinks 45 million are without health insurance better think again. Its more.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:08 AM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Let us ditch these parties and adopt new ones!!! I'm for the Whigs, what about you?
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:57 AM   #8
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I'm for the Let's Have A, actually.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:51 AM   #9
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
And whoever is going to win these elections, please please please let it be by a wide margin so tensions will cool down a bit within a week or so.
I agree wholeheartedly, Grojlach. Sadly, it will never happen.

This race promises to be even closer than the 2000 Election, and the losing side in that race is still shouting claims of "Bush stole the election" four years later (despite plenty of evidence and facts to the contrary). If Bush wins again - regardless of the margin of victory - you can expect to hear the same accusations for the next four years also.

And if Kerry wins, you will most likely hear the same line of BS from the Bush supporters. [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2004, 09:22 AM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

The passage of time cannot change the fact that the last election was too close to call, and that the Supreme Court stepped in and said "knock it off already" before FL had finished its recounting. A recounting which could be trusted no more than the original counting. Bitch all you want, but nothing will ever change the fact that Bush was handed the win because it was the best that could be done at the time, because we really didn't know WTF the numbers were, and because it was getting embarrassing running around in the world with our nekkid democracy hanging out in the wind.

And, yeah, if the margin of victory is closer than the margin of error again, we will be embarrassed again, and both sides will rightfully have cause to complain. We all will.