Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-30-2004, 05:33 PM   #1
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

Ok, i just found that every time i play a game, my entire computer crashes and i have to use the power switch to trun it back on. Now, last time this happenned, it was because the comp overheated. so i sucked the dust out of the fan and everything, but it still crashed. so i needed to check the comp tempurature, but when i went into the stup it asked for a supervisor passowrd. i set the password so that my friend who blocked me from my account would get the point when he needed to use the setup. now, the problem. I forgot the password! Now i can't get into set up and i can't get any idea whats wrong. its njust a matter of time until my friend finds the problem and tries to use the setup. is there anyway around the password?!
Old 11-30-2004, 05:41 PM   #2
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Hm...sounds suspiciously like my problem. I think it could be the RAM, which is what I suspect is my case. Can you get into Windows normally? If so, I'd recommned running a memory test program to test the RAM.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:55 PM   #3
Absynthe

If you've placed a password on your bios, you can reset it by unplugging the computer and disconnecting the onboard battery for a minute. This will also reset your bios settings. If you've placed a password on your admin account, that's more complicated. I think there's a workaround short of reinstalling your o.s., but I don't know what that is. One of the IW gurus should be able to help you.

Old 11-30-2004, 06:18 PM   #4
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

what do you mean disconnecting the battery? and when you say that it wil reset my bios settings, does that mean my account will change? and how do i run a memory test program?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:28 PM   #5
LennonCook
Jack Burton

If you don't know what your BIOS battery is, how to disconnect it, or what that will do, it's probably best that you don't. [img]smile.gif[/img] To run a memory test program, either a) Look through the CD that your mainboard drivers are on; or b) Google for memory test program. This will give you the program, then you just need to run it as you woul dany other program. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2004, 06:32 PM   #6
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Oh, I'm sorry. ^^;;

To run a memory test, go here and download MemTest for Windows. After that you'll need a clean, empty floppy disk, and the program will install onto the disk. It'll be unreadable by Windows afterwards, but don't worry.

Now boot from the disk. If your PC doesn't do it automatically while the disk is inserted, go into a Boot Options (usually F2 at startup) and select the floppy drive as the main boot device. Then just let the program run. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2004, 06:43 PM   #7
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

i dont have a working floppy drive
Old 11-30-2004, 06:53 PM   #8
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

You can make boot CDs and pretty much anything that supports the same file formats that Windows does.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:18 PM   #9
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

unplugging it didn't work. is there any other way to reset that password? or to find it? and what are bios settings?
Old 12-01-2004, 12:06 AM   #10
Absynthe

Sorry I wasn't more clear in my earlier post. If you have enabled a password on your system within Windows, then what I've posted about the bios will do you no good.
However, if you have enabled a password in your bios, then it can be easily reset. On your motherboard, there will be a battery - usually about the size and shape of a nickel - in a clip attached to the board. By removing this battery, you wipe the bios memory of any password or changes to the default settings. Let the system sit without the battery for thirty seconds or so, then reinstall it and restart your computer. The bios settings will be returned to the defaults and the password will be gone.

Remember to ground yourself on the computer chassis while working around the motherboard. Good luck.