Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-21-2003, 09:34 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I want to have a homepage where I can design a nice family album for all the members of our family to enjoy. I have seen a friend once working on his, where he designed the graphics and stuff and how the pics appeared, and I would like a nice one as well that looked really neat. can somebody teach me about this stuff?
Old 12-21-2003, 09:47 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

You've got three basic choices, Larry.

1. Do it all yourself

2. Use someone's templates and fill in the details

3. Pass it all along to someone else

For option 1, pick up a book on HTML (I use two really basic ones), read it, and try things out. Do this in private on your machine, so no one sees anything until you're ready. Longest lead time for learning, but you can do the most with it. Later on, you can expand to dynamic HTML (DHTML), Javascript, Java, and other fun stuff. You can also be amazed at how little you actually know, and how much more you know than the average person does.

With option 2, use Front Page Express (or whatever the light version is), your ISP's own templates, or someone else's templates. I created a quick site for a Toastmasters club I'm in a couple of weeks ago -- wmat.comcast.net to see what a quickly-filled-in template can look like. The advantage is that you don't have to know HTML, site design, or anything else. The disadvantage is there's not always room for personalization -- what they give you is what you get.

Option 3 is my preferred one these days [img]smile.gif[/img] , but not very practical from a financial sense. Until my kids get old enough to be interested in it, that is...

There are also numerous links and places you can start at on the web. I'm sure someone will come out with a list shortly here

So what's involved in setting up a site? Basically, a site is a set of pages that link to each other. You have to be able to get from one to another easily, and often you'll link in pictures, videos, or whatever else strikes your fancy. You can add in things like guestbooks, calendars, and almost anything else you can think of.

First thing... who's your audience? I mean, what do you want to accomplish? That's stuck me for the longest time. What do I really want to do with this stuff? Our family site hasn't been updated in over a year, largely because none of our family members headed over there to see it. I mean, once they saw my daughter's fourth birthday pictures, those pictures never really changed much...

Once you know who you're talking to, what do you want to say? That helps figure out the content.

After that, it's linking, linking, and more linking. And updating the design 'cause you didn't like something. And switching to cascading style sheets because it's so much easier. And cursing because Aunt Gertrude only uses Netscape 4.71, and it doesn't support any really complex HTML things...

Easiest way to start, by far, is with option 2... use someone's template, look at the code that's generated (perhaps with the book you bought for option 1), and when it comes time to expand the site to something else, consider doing some of it freehand.

It's as hard or as simple as you choose to make it.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:56 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Re: your suggestion to use my ISP's resources...I found out that they offer 5MB of storage. Is that too small? I have many family members to accomodate for.

Scratch that....I do not like how thier resources look. It's crap. I want a good one that has the resourses for me, but hs easy controls to guide me along.

[ 12-21-2003, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 12-21-2003, 10:03 PM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

You should try the great site http://www.pbase.com

This is exactly what you are looking for, and for $23 a YEAR, you get 100MB, and you can upload and make your own look. Also, the HTML is all done for ya, and it is mega simple to upload and set up in MINUTES!

I send all my friends there for this stuff--so they can show off their Wedding pics, new BABY (hint hint) pics (Since Larry's Wife is having another) and misc. things like pic's of your PC, you, or your pets..

Check it out man! My friends have used it for years now, and have had zero problems with it.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 12-21-2003, 10:30 PM   #5
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

The complete web developers quick-reference is here: www.w3schools.com - most of the stuff there will be too advanced if you haven't done any web dev before but their basic HTML tutorial is good. Check it out and the good thing about that site is as you get more advanced you can keep coming back.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 12-22-2003, 03:43 AM   #6
philip
Galvatron

I learned HTML by this site. This is also a useful site though most things are pre-written (I only used the javascript part so it might be different with the HTML part). Also there are links at the bottom to 'other top tutorials' there's some good stuff in there for javascript and css as well.

[ 12-22-2003, 03:45 AM: Message edited by: philip ]
Old 12-22-2003, 12:06 PM   #7
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

How about Geocities? Its free, easy to use, quick. In my sig is one I did for some family pictures. Just an idea.