Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2003, 01:11 AM   #1
liz76love
Dungeon Master

Letter

I work in front of a computer all day and then I usually, come home and play with a computer for the rest of the day. Lately my back has been killing me. I do have an inflamed vertebrae. The pain sometimes is exruciating, but between school and work Im forced to be on the computer. Does anyone else have these problems? If so what methods do you take to stop it. I can take the strongest pain pill available and my spine still hurts.
e
Old 07-30-2003, 01:17 AM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by liz76love:
I work in front of a computer all day and then I usually, come home and play with a computer for the rest of the day. Lately my back has been killing me. I do have an inflamed vertebrae. The pain sometimes is exruciating, but between school and work Im forced to be on the computer. Does anyone else have these problems? If so what methods do you take to stop it. I can take the strongest pain pill available and my spine still hurts.
e
Yep. I have chronic lower back and hip pain 24/7, and I've had this since 1995. It sucks, and can REALLY depress ya. I'm on pain meds which I hate to have to take, but without them, I hurt so bad, I can't do anything.

Sleep and Meds are the only thing that help me.. My wife rubs my lower back and hips, but that doesn't last. I've had 5 different back injections (Epidural and Cortisone shots).

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 07-30-2003, 01:32 AM   #3
liz76love
Dungeon Master

ziroc
Im glad someone's out there that I can realate to. Everybody calls me a big baby. But, I, like you take the strong meds and I too hate them. Just like you said with out them you end up helpless. I get massages to but they dont have a long lasting relief. I get the same injections you do to. I also have sleep meds, but they dont seem to do the trick for me. Large case of insomnia, but thats a whole nother story.
thanks for your feed back,
elizabeth
Old 07-30-2003, 04:43 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I never thought much about back problem until I messed something up a couple of years ago. Without dropping down to the gutter, let me just say that I never realized how important your back is to be able to simply sit down on a toilet [img]smile.gif[/img]

Meds, rest, and relaxation took care of it, but I will never underestimate the pain someone can be in from a bad back.

Have you had anyone look at your normal position for using the computer and such? Perhaps there's a more ergonomic way to position things that might help. Alternately, have you tried the drastic step of going without computer for a period of time to see if it clears up?

Good luck.

*B*
Minister, etc. (ret.)
Old 07-30-2003, 04:54 PM   #5
WillowIX
Apophis

There are several small things that can help you against your pain. Try to stretch your back and perhaps do some back exercise a couple of times every hour. When the ECM, extracellular matrix, gets dehydrated which it will be when spending a long time in front of your monitor it won't protect as well. Ask for a new and better chair at the office. There are several out there which are made for people with back problems. Lay off the computer at home or at least try and lessen the time you spend at it. And finally, don't be ashamed about seeing your physician about this. If the first can't help you in what you feel is a satisfactory way, seek out another one. If you haven't already tried it, go see an orthopaedist. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2003, 06:49 PM   #6
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I can feel your pain. I had a back trouble,altough i am only 15 years old. I felt one day on the training of basketball. It hurted me for about a year but after all the painkillers and resting it was gone.
Hope you`ll get better soon!
Old 07-30-2003, 07:03 PM   #7
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

for my back problems it seems sleeping in a certain position helps the most
for example, sleeping on my sides instead of on my stomach or back makes most of the pain not happen.
also, sometimes stretching helps; like try touching past your toes with your hands - without bending your legs; my back wil usually snap back into a comfortable alignment after doing so. turning the torso without turning your legs/butt will also sometimes help the alignment for me.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:18 PM   #8
liz76love
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Alternately, have you tried the drastic step of going without computer for a period of time to see if it clears up?

Good luck.

*B*
Minister, etc. (ret.)
Hi,
yes the computer is definitley one of the culprits. But I CANT get away from the damn thing! [img]smile.gif[/img] I also have a fused veterbae to, it showed up on a ct scan. Thanks for all you advice
Old 07-30-2003, 07:45 PM   #9
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

Been pouring concrete for almost 40 yrs so I know what hell back pain can be,the best thing is to excersize regularly.Simple crunches to strengthen your abs do wonders for your back.But I'm sure you can find some simple ones on the web.Just check under web md or a simular place.Hope you find some relief..
Old 07-30-2003, 07:58 PM   #10
Animal
Gold Dragon

I suffered a broken back and neck when I was 19. Now, 12 years later, the pain is still severe, but it becomes a normal part of life, something I can't ever remember not having.

The pain doesn't control me, I control it.