Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 04-04-2005, 06:52 PM   #1
Clare
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i have a question about the direct 3d options [img]smile.gif[/img] . when i try to use the higher direct 3d resolutions, all the things like menu icons, and letters get all blurry and blocky. i was wondering if it is suppose to be like that? even the bad guys dont seem to look right. i like how the characters you make look better in direct 3d mode than in software mode, but everything else seems to look worse [img]smile.gif[/img] . i thought maybe was just something wrong with my computer, but i dont know anything about them [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:44 PM   #2
jsalsb
Elminster

Hi there! What's your video card? Any chance you're using an Intel integrated display adapter that shares video memory with the main memory? One of my computers has that adapter, and it gives D3D errors.

If that's the case, then just stick with software rendering an the game looks as good as a 1999 game can look
Old 04-04-2005, 08:04 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Clare!!!

Answer jsalsb's question and we'll try to go from there.

Given that this game is "old" you may not be able to do better than the software graphics.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:28 PM   #4
Clare
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Question Mark

thanks [img]smile.gif[/img] . my video card is a geforce4 mx 4000. im not sure what an intel integrated display adapter is, how could i find out if i have it, and if it shares video memory with the main memory?. i dont mind the way the game looks, i like it [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Old 04-04-2005, 08:53 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, Clare! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] May you find life in the Gael Serran as pleasant as it finds you... [img]smile.gif[/img]

As Wyv and jsalsb mentioned, this is an older game. Some of the video settings can cause problems, and you may be relegated to software resolution and 800x600 mode. If it's blocky with D3D, you may try running at a lower resolution to see if that cures it. No promises or guarantees, though...

Sharing video memory with main memory is a BIOS settings option... you can see if this is set by hitting {del} or {F1} at the right time when you boot (the "press to enter settings" message pops up). If that's not familiar territory, then tread cautiously. You can't really muck things up in there without trying, but you may not have to try hard in some cases...

*edit* that was weird... folks, don't use the greater than/less than signs in your post. They can get converted into strange HTML tags when you're not looking... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Let's see if I can duplicate it and put it back... Yep!

[ 04-04-2005, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:10 PM   #6
jsalsb
Elminster

That was weird, B!

Hi Clare - If you have a geforce graphics card, then don't worry, you don't have an Intel integrated card. I suspect it's as Bungleau says, the game is just too old to handle modern day hardware rendering. You're never going to get it to look like Half-Life anyhow; just enjoy it for it's amazing game-pay and depth - and, hey, not too shabby graphics!
Old 04-04-2005, 11:25 PM   #7
DinkumThinkum
Dungeon Master

If you're using a flat-panel display, you'll get the sharpest display if you set the game to the flat-panel's native resolution or to an exact sub-multiple.

For example:

My flat-panel has a 1600 X 1200 native resolution. In the game, I'm using 800 X 600 (exactly 1/2), and that gives a sharper display than the other two choices.

Note: this is true for anything with a flat-panel; they'll always have a sharper display at their native resolution (or exact sub-multiple) than at other resolutions.

Another possibility, if you have a flat panel. Look in your video driver settings and see if there's an option to select whether or not to scale the image size to the display size. (It might be with settings specific to the monitor you're using.)

You could try setting that to not scale the image. That will probably give you a smaller image on the display, but it should be sharper because the video driver isn't trying to adjust the picture to match your monitor's screen size.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of video driver settings I found helpful to change:

1. Turn off anti-aliasing. For me, that got rid of pixellated borders around the character image in the top left corner and a few other places.

With my ATI video card, I turned this off by setting anti-aliasing to 'Application preference'. If you don't have an actual 'off' option, look for something like that.

2. See if your video driver has an option to enable/disable 'alternate pixel center' or something similar (in my driver, it's on a 'compatability' tab). If it does, try changing that to see if if helps the text quality.

(In Morrowind, enabling that gave me sharper text; in W&W, turning it off makes the text sharper.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The settings for your video board/driver are at:

'Windows Control Panel | Display | Settings | Advanced'

I'm using an ATI video board, from a different manufacturer than yours, so I can't give you more detailed directions to the settings.
Morrowind modder resources:<br /><br />PotionSaver script for Companions and other NPCs<br /><br />Teleport disable/trap and banishment scripts<br /><br />Morrowind mod:<br /><br />Unarmored Corrector V01 (for players)<br /><br />All on [url]\"http://lovkullen.net/Emma/Resources.html\" target=\"_blank\">Emma\'s web site</a>.
DinkumThinkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:42 AM   #8
Clare
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks for the help and suggestions [img]smile.gif[/img] . ill have to settle playing the game in software mode than [img]smile.gif[/img] . i tried changing around some of the things in the video settings, but none of that seemed to work. i was just wondering if something was wrong with it, and if i could do something about it... i wasnt really complaining about it, i like how the game looks [img]smile.gif[/img] . i dont think the software version mode goes in 800x600 mode, it only looks like its in 640x480, and i dont have the option to change it. the direct 3d mode gets three sizes... 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768. thanks again for the suggestions and help [img]smile.gif[/img] . im also not to sure how pleasent the gael sarren would find me [img]tongue.gif[/img] .
Old 04-05-2005, 09:32 AM   #9
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board, Clare. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] I hope you get it fixed. [img]smile.gif[/img]