Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2005, 02:40 PM   #21
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by RevRuby:
i'm quite insulted.
I do apologize, I'm not trying to insult anybody. I was ranting like that becuz I don't think our Gov't handles much at all the correct way (and I do realize this isn't the Current events side, so I shouldn't have started that here).

SilentThief
Old 02-01-2005, 11:15 PM   #22
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Hmmm, well, I know my lifestyle simply doesn't translate into everyone else's circumstances, but if I find that I am living in an area where there is simply no work to be had then I simply move on to where there is. I dunno, perhaps people are nesting just a little too much if they refuse to shift even when there is no source of income in their current location. It's perfectly healthy to be on the move. So saying 'the unemployment rate is too high and so now the government is going to force us to become prostitutes' , while ultimately a distortion of the apparent legal process anyway, also sounds a bit whiny and self-pitying to me. I think perhaps some people's comfort zones are little too wide...

[ 02-01-2005, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 02-02-2005, 07:43 AM   #23
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Try and get someone to rent you a house or apartment in a new location without a job. It's kind of tough. The fact is if people could get up and go whenever they needed to they are already priviledged enough to find a job where they are. There are people who like to use the gravy train as much as possible but thier are just as many who need it because of thier race, sexual orientation, mental capacity. Predudice is still incredibly rampent in society today and it makes it very difficult to find work for some folks.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:04 AM   #24
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
I think it's rape.

It's not important if you're a forced at gunpoint or with your source of income...
No.

There is no forcing at the point of income, it's a withdrawal of support.

You don't need to support the unemployed, they are all dregs, deserving nothing not even pity.
It's all evolution, the strong survive, the weak perish.

Oh dear, did I offend your delicate sensiblitys, such a shame. I would pity the women in this situation, but that would imply I have even have any empathy.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:23 AM   #25
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
You don't need to support the unemployed, they are all dregs, deserving nothing not even pity.
That's not evolution, and it won't do much good for society either.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #26
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Q'alooaith:
quote:
I think it's rape.

It's not important if you're a forced at gunpoint or with your source of income...
No.

[/QUOTE]That'll win ya fans! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Dron_Cah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #27
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Rape is bad, very very bad, and compairing this subject to it is wrong and makes me feel sick.

Your sensiblitys might say that prositution is wrong and imoral and all that jazz, but in the end this is a choice that these women can take, they choose to do this..

They are not forced to do anything.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gnarf:
That's not evolution, and it won't do much good for society either.
Anything that weed's out the incapable is evolution, survival of the ones that are best able to cope with the enviroment they find themselves in, the very core idea of evolution.

People hate it, natural selection.. Doing whatever it takes to survive, a trait worthy of passing down.. Empathy is weakness, and should be crushed.

(Feel free to hate my point of view)

[ 02-02-2005, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Q'alooaith ]
Old 02-02-2005, 02:54 PM   #28
Melusine
Dracolisk

Then why do you find rape a bad thing? What if it happens to a "weak" person?

Your morals seem extremely flaky to me.

Edit: forgot to add I actually agree with you quite strongly that to call this rape is wrong. That doesn't change the fact that I find the practice of forcing people to work in the sex industry or lose their jobs indefensible.

[ 02-02-2005, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 02-02-2005, 02:55 PM   #29
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I think this is a good example of the Law of Unintended Consequences. By legalizing a "victimless crime", they German gov't has - in fact - ensure that some women ARE victimized, by either being forced into prostitution or losing their support income.

Heiro - It is not always as easy as it sounds to just "pick up and move" someplace where there ARE jobs available. Unless the woman is willing to live in her car or look for a homeless shelter, she will have a difficult time finding a place to live unless she already has the money to support herself. I was faced with a situation once where I had to find a place to live on my own. Even though I had a job at the time (through a Temp Agency), I did NOT have enough money to pay "first and last month's rent" (in addition to a deposit) on any of the apartments I checked on - and these were all in the same town I was living in at the time. I had no choice but to move back home with my parents until I could get back on my feet. I've never regretted what happened, but it showed me first hand just how much easier it is to tell someone to "find a job" or "move somewhere else" than it is for the person in question to actually DO that.

SilentThief - I dislike people who cheat our Welfare System as much as the next person and I'm a firm supporter of Workfare, but not everybody that receives Welfare is deliberately trying to cheat the system. As for our gov't "putting the dads in jail", that only happens if the dads have actually committed some crime. What are we supposed to do? Say, "Well, we would normally put you in jail for this crime, but since your estranged wife and kids are on welfare, we're gonna forget the jail sentence this time so you can go out and get a job." That might sound feasible on paper, but most of these dads aren't supporting thier wife or kids anyway. They're "deadbeat dads" that have abandoned their family because they don't want to live up to their responsibility in the first place.

Q'alooith - VulcanRider provided ample evidence that jobs are not as easy to find in Germany as you seem to imply. And that even some jobs that sound "legitimate" are nothing more than fronts for prostitution. Again, I speak from personal experience. I have a BS degree in Marketing and Financial Planning and an Associates degree in Electronic Data Processing, but after moving back home (in the aforementioned example), I couldn't find any employment that was remotely related to my degrees. So I worked in a restaurant as a dishwasher for 2 years until a better job came along. Several years later, I have a decent job (for my area) but I still am not working in anything closely related to what I studied for in college.

The point is that jobs are not always as easy to find as you imply.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:00 PM   #30
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Q'alooaith:
quote:
I think it's rape.

No.

Oh dear, did I offend your delicate sensiblitys, such a shame. I would pity the women in this situation, but that would imply I have even have any empathy.
[/QUOTE]Q'alooaith, you're treading the line right now, so I'm giving you a friendly reminder that one of the major rules for this forum is BE CIVIL with other members. You don't have to agree with everyone or with anyone at all nor do you have to like what others say, but you DO have to interact in a civil manner and insulting other members is NOT an option.

[ 02-02-2005, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]