Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2001, 12:17 AM   #11
G'kar

From what I gander, The U.S. is gonna use small special forces strikes, relying on intelligence instead of numbers, to eliminate the terrorists. Moving from camp to camp with stealth, superior weapons and training. It seems an all-out ground war or air strikes would be futile. We wont know til its over though, because the whole thing will be cloaked in extreme secrecy, so we dont tip our hand to the bad guys.

Old 09-19-2001, 12:20 AM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Personally, I'd be all for a set of elite assassins to go in there, clear out the riff-raff, free those poor people, and get the job done with a minimum of hoo-ha. I doubt the US would stand for that, though...maybe I'm wrong about that. Based on this country's history, they'd probably prefer an all-out show of force. I hope they (we) realize that this is a different scenario with different players.

------------------
Old 09-19-2001, 01:10 AM   #13
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Well that is a very brilliant but very foreboding and dark piece of writing. Thanks for posting it Saz. Great to hear it from an Afgahni.

I too read that Pakistan and the Taliban have troops along the border. I also read that the Taliban will attack anyone who assists the U.S. wouldn't that be wierd and bizzarre and sick. An Afgahni invasion of Pakistan because of this.

Bin Laden trying to start a war where millions die and suffering is perpetuated? Why does this sound like Satan to me? I'm serious. What nutcase... actually I won't call him a nutcase just because his logic is incomprehensible to me... what evil, selfish, manipulative, cowardly, sadistic, murderous, hate ridden, venomous, pathetic, blind, misinterprative, infantile, inhuman monster would concieve such a plan of pure rage-blinded evil?

One who gets others to do his dirty work. Notice he didn't fly the plane.

Gutless Coward.

If the Taliban invade Pakistan it will be Muslim vs Muslim and his Jihad will be a mockery. A sham.

I'd hope the US does use the stealth/assassain approach. War is not the answer and this letter emphasises this. War plays into his hands.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-19-2001, 02:22 AM   #14
Rikard

Just heard from the Dutch news, an Afghanistan Refugee not yet accepted in the Netherlands (Asielzoeker) was willing to donate his whole Weekmoney to rebuild the Twin Towers.
Eventhough this won;t help a lot i think this shows that we cannot blame a nation or race for the deeds of a few

------------------

Old 09-19-2001, 02:31 AM   #15
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

do we really "have the belly to do what must be done" ?

nope, bomb them back to stoneage is the easiest choice, but not the right one
Old 09-19-2001, 03:33 AM   #16
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Jafin:
BTW, as of today, war is official. The Taliban has declared a holy war against the United States...

It's weird you know - because I was watching CNN and heard this. But all of the English news channels said that the Taliban had said they WOULD resume jihad against the US if the US bombed Afghanistan. There is a huge difference between the 2 statements.

I have noticed that CNN is reporting only some things, not others, showing 9 year old clips of Palestinians celebrating (that clip was from when Kuwait was invaded, not the WTC atrocity) and it worries me that many people in the US are being lied to by their news channels and may not have access to other sources of information. Heck, the BBC and ITN are not perfect, but there is much more information on them, which sometimes gives a different picture.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 09-19-2001, 05:05 AM   #17
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

One thing not mentioned as far as I can see so far on this thread is that if there IS a small highly trained force of ground troops moving stealthily from camp to camp to take out just the terrorists odds are it will NOT be all US by any means - it is very likely to be UK.

This is not just a US thing - people from all nations were killed, and the actions will have far reaching consequences. I am deeply uncomfortable with the decision on what is to happen being soley a US decision and I pray that this is not going to be the case.

This doesnt mean my heat does not go out to the USA - as it also always gone out to those in Northern Ireland and Spain who have had to live with terrorism for decades.
Old 09-19-2001, 05:19 AM   #18
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by kiwidoc:
One thing not mentioned as far as I can see so far on this thread is that if there IS a small highly trained force of ground troops moving stealthily from camp to camp to take out just the terrorists odds are it will NOT be all US by any means - it is very likely to be UK.

This is not just a US thing - people from all nations were killed, and the actions will have far reaching consequences. I am deeply uncomfortable with the decision on what is to happen being soley a US decision and I pray that this is not going to be the case.

This doesnt mean my heat does not go out to the USA - as it also always gone out to those in Northern Ireland and Spain who have had to live with terrorism for decades.
The SAS have a section called the RWW (Revolution World Wide) who have been training with the Pakistan Army in the Hindu Kush which are the mountains in NE Afghanistan. They are probably already in position gaining intelligence.

To the list of those living with terrorism for decades I would like to add Britain.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!
Old 09-19-2001, 05:26 AM   #19
Link
Jack Burton

I've already stated in my thread (When do you have the right to..?) that solving violence by using violence is not the best thing to do. Of course this terrorist action cannot walk away just like that. Something definitely needs to be done, but the question concerning this is what needs to be done.. No one really has a proper idea, everyone's just screaming for revenge. As an outsider i may not be as emotional as people who have been involved in everything but thinking rationally is something that is something of prime importance these days.

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe
Old 09-19-2001, 12:16 PM   #20
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Personally, I'd be all for a set of elite assassins to go in there, clear out the riff-raff, free those poor people, and get the job done with a minimum of hoo-ha. I doubt the US would stand for that, though...maybe I'm wrong about that. Based on this country's history, they'd probably prefer an all-out show of force. I hope they (we) realize that this is a different scenario with different players.

Yes!!

------------------