Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-01-2002, 09:53 AM   #21
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Great post, Charean.

Here's the INS site:
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/index.htm

Here's the WTO site:
http://www.wto.org/

And, here's an anti-WTO site:
http://www.eatthestate.org/04-02/LaborWTO.htm
Old 11-01-2002, 10:33 AM   #22
MagiK

There comes a point in every country where they really need to limit in a very strict way, how many immigrants they allow in. I think the US has probably reached and surpassed that limit. I believe it is about time we closed the borders down to immigrnats. We have a large enough population to supply the demand and the realities of modern day terrorism seem to threaten everyones way of life. Strict limitations on how many people can immigrate, severe restrictions on visa's and accurate tracking people with visa's will probably be high on the agenda for the upcoming congress.

The reason I say we need to limit immigrants is not a racial issue. It is about the support services and infrastructure. Our schools are over crowded, our welfare system is nearly bankrupting us, and other public/social services are stretched to their limits.

[ 11-01-2002, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 11-01-2002, 10:47 AM   #23
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
There comes a point in every country where they really need to limit in a very strict way, how many immigrants they allow in. I think the US has probably reached and surpassed that limit. I believe it is about time we closed the borders down to immigrnats. We have a large enough population to supply the demand and the realities of modern day terrorism seem to threaten everyones way of life. Strict limitations on how many people can immigrate, severe restrictions on visa's and accurate tracking people with visa's will probably be high on the agenda for the upcoming congress.

The reason I say we need to limit immigrants is not a racial issue. It is about the support services and infrastructure. Our schools are over crowded, our welfare system is nearly bankrupting us, and other public/social services are stretched to their limits.
If you would say such a thing in Holland people would throw rocks at you.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:33 AM   #24
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Really? Why? I had no idea Holland was sucha violent place

Old 11-01-2002, 04:20 PM   #25
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
quote:
Really? Why? I had no idea Holland was sucha violent place [/QUOTE]It's not a very violent place, but when you make statements like: Closing the borders for all immigrants that's what you can expect. Well, either that or eggs, tomatoes, pie, stuff like that. And if you say it out loud on TV, someone might even take a shot at you.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:20 PM   #26
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Back OnTopic, I saw a news clip the other day regarding the latest border-jumping trend. Cars have been hitting the Mexico/US border at 3 a.m. at full speed going the WRONG WAY on the highway (only the normal lane of travel is usually patrolled in either direction). This has resulting in 3 or 4 fatal head-on collisions to date, with the Buses and Vans loaded chock-full of illegal immigrants causing massive damage when they happen to hit a car head-on.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:23 PM   #27
Charean
Hathor

Yeow! That, my friend, is living dangerously. Or dying spectacularly. Hmmm.... :/
Old 11-01-2002, 05:44 PM   #28
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
It's not a very violent place, but when you make statements like: Closing the borders for all immigrants that's what you can expect. Well, either that or eggs, tomatoes, pie, stuff like that. And if you say it out loud on TV, someone might even take a shot at you.
Up here we throw pies at politians that are not liked. I believe there is a new law that deals with assult by pie or something.

[ 11-01-2002, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 11-01-2002, 06:16 PM   #29
MagiK

Quote:
It's not a very violent place, but when you make statements like: Closing the borders for all immigrants that's what you can expect. Well, either that or eggs, tomatoes, pie, stuff like that. And if you say it out loud on TV, someone might even take a shot at you.
Im still trying to figure out what was so offensive as to prompt people to commit assault? Can you help me out here? I am still missing why closing borders is such a bad thing? Especially in lite of big a problem the illegal alien issue is. How does Holland handle illegal aliens?

Old 11-01-2002, 06:27 PM   #30
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:

MagiK is right. Every service by our city,county,state, and federal agencys are swamped. It is time to ...maybe not close the gate but install a buzzer to let a few in at a time so to speak.
As for "unskilled" labor there will always be a need for this. When you start a construction job for the first time you are unskilled. We call them laborors (or in the south "lumber toters" LOL I laughed when I first moved south) but as they learn they are given more responsibility. And more money. The better you get the more you get paid. Some grow very proficient and can start running their own crew. That is the way I did it. I made $1500 this week. While not a fortune I have to ask-Does that kind of money suck? NO. But the process of being able to do this is being eroded. The younger people see a jobsite/development full of Mexicans and know they wont be hired. If they cannot be hired how can they learn? They have to get lucky and find the rare job opening. Because all the jobs are going to people who arent even citizens. Or even legally here in many cases. So they say the hell with it and become waiters, burger-flippers, and pot/ecstacy dealers. Its a waste of the talent of our country.