Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2002, 12:16 PM   #31
Donut
Jack Burton

I don't like FPS's. Lanesra loves them and doesn't like CRPG's.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 02-14-2002, 12:58 PM   #32
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
JR.. Just one question?
What kind of games do you like?
That you don´t like FPS is pretty obvious!

Well, it isn't so much that i dislike FPS games, i just see them for what they are. I've played Wolfenstein, Doom, Blood, Redneck rampage, etc. I count Carmageddon among these aswell, allthough it isn't really first person and you don't use a gun. I like RPG games aswell as a good strategy from time to time.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:03 PM   #33
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
I find that most people who don't like FPS games simply can't play them well and get frustrated too easily.

I mean, most games that are combat oriented include killing everything enemy, including the BG series!

Nya, nya! Thhhhppppppttttt!!!

Killing everything that is an enemy, yes. But in fps games you just kill everythin, period. I mean for instance, if you would be playing a good guy, you just can't throw a fireball in the middle of the street in BG but it would be perfectly OK to do it in an fps game. Besides the BG series and other games wich have combat need problems solved, quests solved, puzzles solved. You are not going from room to room in an endless killing spree. Big diffrence there.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:06 PM   #34
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:
Typically these days first person shooter solo games have puzzles to solve, so that breaks up the "shoot everything that moves" mode of operation. And multiplayer is a whole new experience. You get team operation, offensive and defensive tactics... strategic positioning (where is the best weapons and armor, how to get constant supplies with minimum risk, if there's powerups how do you get those, etc...)

Games like Tribes 2 add sophisticated base design and vehicles to the mix. Winning teams can have very sophisticated strategy and pre-planned tactics. Definitely not as brainless as you might think.

And what kind of puzzles are those. Finding a key in an endless maze with an enemy at every corner ? Needing to flip a few switches in the right order ? And don't get me started on online gaming or multiplayer for that matter.

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: JR Jansen ]

Old 02-14-2002, 01:19 PM   #35
Sigmar
Unicorn

There are some puzzles that are quite hard to solve but they're really not puzzles, usually it's working out how you can get through a paticular area without getting hurt too much(half-life springs to mind). More of a challenge then anything else, but everyone is entitled to his or her opinion my good gnome.
Old 02-14-2002, 02:50 PM   #36
Thoran
Galvatron

What Sigmar said... not inane key puzzles (which you get just as much of in RPG's fwiw), but solving dynamic tactical and strategic problems. Choosing how to engage the enemy, conservation of resources, and lots of other decisions that need to be made in rapid fashion.

I'm also not talking about online multiplayer... too slow to achieve the level of immersion I'm accustomed to. I'm talking about 10-15 players on a local network... the potential for team dynamics adds a whole new dimension to the game. To say these games are mindless is to say that splatball is mindless, or capture the flag, or really that ANY combat oriented game is mindless. I would have to disagree on that assertion.

Of course if you haven't mastered the basics of motion... freelook movement, strafing, and targeting on the fly... as well as keysetup that allows engagement without ever looking away from the screen... well then you're not going to be able to participate in the true challenge of the games (except maybe as a defensive camper in a capture the flag game)... you'll be spending all your time looking at the sky and the ground and you'll die usually before you know who's shooting at you.
Old 02-14-2002, 03:41 PM   #37
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

As long is there is a good story line(anyone remember Strife, a real oldie ), they are ok. I rarely buy them though. I like it when they mix FPS with other genres like in Deus Ex.
Old 02-14-2002, 04:24 PM   #38
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

quote:
Originally posted by Link:

Yeah, that's what I mean! New first person shooters, like Command and Conquer Renegade! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh, my bad. I misunderstood you.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 02-14-2002, 04:44 PM   #39
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:
There are some puzzles that are quite hard to solve but they're really not puzzles, usually it's working out how you can get through a paticular area without getting hurt too much(half-life springs to mind). More of a challenge then anything else, but everyone is entitled to his or her opinion my good gnome.

Of course everybody is and i'm not bashing someone for playing fps games. OK, the 'games for braindead people' might be looked upon as insulting but it's more a statement to the game and most players, not all of them. I played these games from time to time but had to quit after 10 minutes because of total boredom. And that's what i meant with puzzles. They are usually not in the form of riddles or whatever alse where you have to figure something out via a detour, but just finding a way to get through a level and believe me folks. That isn't hard to do.
And coming back to the fact that everybody has his own opinion. I know this probably started of as an 'fps games are realy not that bad' kinda thread, but if i start to defend the other point, it seems that i get frowned upon for stating my opnion and vehemently defending it.
Old 02-14-2002, 04:52 PM   #40
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I don't play them much but one of my bro's favourites is Soldier of Fortune.