Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2002, 11:51 PM   #41
Charean
Hathor

Excellent stories!! Loved them all! (I was sitting here for a couple hours reading them! )

The only addition I have is short...

My first D&D game, back in the 70's - first ed - I am playing with my mom (really!) and my brother. I, the impetuous fool, play a fighter with brawn and little brain.
First thing we do... walking along and see a cave. Being me, I walk into the cave... and fall into a bottomless pit. Short game! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

It took me longer to roll that character than to play him!
Old 05-14-2002, 11:58 AM   #42
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Speaking of elves and infravision reminds me of a module I once ran for our group.

I had decided to allow the players to create their favorite character and lifted the demi-human level restrictions (I allowed one player to play a minotaur barbarian - he was as strong as an ox ).

Another player created a drow fighter/thief (or something like that). The module had the characters go to this little wide-spot-in-the-horsetrail town that USED to have a small keep located on hill (basic medieval set-up).

The foundation was the only thing left, but there were four pits/wells/holes/whatever where the four corners had been. All four had water at the bottom. Two of them had nothing of interest, one had a gelatinous cube lurking in the water, and one hid the secret entrance to the basement of the keep (which was still intact and still had some treasure stored there).

The drow volunteered to scout out the holes because he had infravision (AND because the PLAYER had read the module before and knew there was a monster in one of them). He checks the first two with no luck. Then goes down the third. There was a rather nice magical item at the bottom of the third hole (which is why the gelatinous cube was there). Now the player knew it was there and he also knew there was some kind of monster that was practically invisible.

So he says "I climb down the ladder and stop just above the water. Looking down, what do I see?"
ME "As you look into the water, you notice something shiny at the bottom of the hole."
Player: "Do I see anything else in the water? Any kind of creature or monster?"
ME: "No."
Player: "OK. I'm going to use my DROW VISION! NOW what do I see?"
ME: "You still see shiny object at the bottom and nothing else."
Player: "But I'm using my DROW VISION!"
ME: "It doesn't matter. All you see is the shiny object in the water." (BTW, gelatinous cubes are transparent and give off no body heat. Put them in cold water and they're virtually impossible to detect).
Player: (upset because he KNOWS there is a monster there) "But I said I'm using my DROW VISION!!!"
ME: "And I said that you see something shiny in the water and nothing else."
Player: (irately) "BUT I'M USING MY DROW VISION!!!! IF THERE'S SOMETHING THERE...I SHOULD SEE IT."
Meexasperated) "OK.....using your DROW VISION....you STILL see a shiny object in the water and NOTHING MORE."

The player finally just gave up and climbed out, but we razzed him about his DROW VISION for weeks after that.
Old 05-14-2002, 12:24 PM   #43
Azred
Drow Priestess

Playing Marvel some years ago (I know-- ); my character got a random power every hour (but that is neither here nor there).
This one girl, Jane, could project a force field that kept out hostile creatures. Responding to a bank robbery, we saw the suspects (suspects? a dozen people saw them do it) pile into the getaway car. Accelerating down the street, guns blazing, and Jane projects her force field into the path of the car. The people are hostile but the car is not. Thus, the car doesn't stop but the people do--they can't go through the force field; unfortunately, they go through the car! [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

That, of course, was more fun than my transmuter who would convert an enemy's clothing/costume into oxygen....

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.