Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-20-2001, 06:43 PM   #1
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

I've got my Kensai Dwarf equiped with dual axes and even without Kia he still kicks as. I've only just started with him so I know that he may be useless later on. I was just wondering if from experiance if a Kensai is a good kit?. There are some very powerfull axes out there I would love to duel class.

Warby
Old 10-20-2001, 06:51 PM   #2
Alpha
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I played as a Human Kensai before and specialized in the Katana, it rocked, but i soon got bored because of the rarety of Katana's. A kensai Dwarf sounds intresting enough but personally i prefer being a theif(solo) and never leave Athkatla until im strong enough to do the saving Imoen quest. Or playing as a Calavier , i love them , theyre great!
Old 10-20-2001, 06:55 PM   #3
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

But are they any good at higher levels. I mean when I'm fighting beholders and the undead I want to know that he can hold his own.

Warby
Old 10-20-2001, 07:14 PM   #4
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

Anyone?
Old 10-20-2001, 08:44 PM   #5
Tom
Elminster

A kensai is good for fighting hand to hand,(you know,fighting rangers and paladins of the sort) dont bother with gauths and mindflayer type stuff unless his inteligence is atleast 16 or he has a mage backing the kensai up.

And yes, i got to the Suldenasser place with a kensai and was practically invulnerable, my guy could rip the crap outta everything. But for some reason, i quit the kensai before i won cuz it was to EZ!!!

------------------

Coffee anyone?
Old 10-20-2001, 08:45 PM   #6
smooveb
Elite Waterdeep Guard

LOTTA dmg dealt out. Give a point in flail and use ages early. Cast barkskin a fair bit. Tough guy, but planning to duel to mage at 12.
Old 10-20-2001, 11:52 PM   #7
Synthos
Manshoon

Kensai is a wicked class in terms of pure fighting power.. I've never played far with one, but I had a Kensai back in the old Paper and Pen ADND.. Yep, kensai is a mulcher, shredder, squisher, slicing, dicing machine packed into a human shaped body. The reason kensai can't use gauntlets and monks can is that kensai would be even CrAzIeR with Gauntlets of Weapon Specialization... Kensai, by the end of the game, will likely chew threw everything in the way like Terminator on speed...
Be warned however, it may take the fun out of the game when the challenge dissapears... That's one reason why most people don't cheat at the game.. Not saying that kensai is cheating, but it sure kicks ass like it!

------------------
*Slash*Slash*
Demi-Licheath
Synthos, looks at
Carsomyr +5...: Man I love this sword!
Old 10-21-2001, 12:30 AM   #8
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

don't worry about your kensai getting weaker as the game goes on.. my kensai is dual wielding axe of unyielding and stonefire, and his thaco is at -11, this at level 18 I believe. And his AC is a decent -2, without any spells. With a bit of help from edwin (spirit armor and imp. invis) his AC goes to -15, good enough for virtually any encounter. Not only that, but he gets 9 attacks every 2 rounds! If you kai before, that = a whole lotta damage.

My advice: don't bother dualling to mage. Kensai's are meant to kick ass, not cast spells. BUT if you are going to play ToB, dualling to thief at level 12 or 15 would be a nice idea.. Trust me.
Old 10-21-2001, 03:28 AM   #9
mitsos

You know, Kensais are pure fighters. They hack and slash with a certain degree of nobility in them. I think it's worth the effort though, it would be different to have to play with a character who can't wear armour!

Old 10-21-2001, 05:40 AM   #10
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

yeah, kensai is one mean slicing machine, by ToB his THAC0 goes down to about -20, -25 and he has 9 attacks / 2 rounds (dual-wielding). the only problem is, his AC sucks big time. on normal or core difficulty that isn't much of a problem, but once you crank difficulty up to hard or insane tougher monsters start dealing out damage by the 50's. and with his bad AC he get's hit A LOT. this becomes a big problem once you start ToB, since even goblins seem to have negative THAC0 and wield +3 weapons there . that means a kensai is totaly dependant on mages and clerics to improve his AC with spells. and I for one don't have the patience to go through all the protective spellcasting before every battle.
I played through SoA and ToB with a kensai/mage, dualed at 13, and in the beggining I had to cast Barskin on him before every incounter with anything tougher than a goblin. and a couple Defensive Harmonies before tougher fights. all the casting becamy quite annoying... however, once I reached lvl 14 as a mage and got all the abilities back, the game became laughingly easy. way too easy, dispite playing on insane difficulty. the rest of SoA was a joke, but ToB was still very interesting because I installed all the patches to make the bosses in ToB a lot harder. that, combined with the fact that my party consisted of me and Vicky, made the boss fights VERY challenging.
a kensai/thief is also insanely powerful, with backstabs in the 150+ range. and in ToB, thanks to a certain high-level special ability it gets even worse (worse for the enemies that is ).
it's hard making the game difficult enough to remain interesting when playing with a kensai/mage or kensai/thief. or with a pure kensai which has a good support of protective spells from the mages and clerics of the party... at least in ToB you have the tougher boss fights to keep you going, but SoA is just too easy

[This message has been edited by frudi_x (edited 10-21-2001).]