Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2001, 08:41 PM   #11
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ/newbie:

11. Yes, we know ice fishing is "not your thing." We don't care.
If you don't understand the beauty out on a lake when it's 10 below,
then you should go home and try fishing in New York Harbor. We are
fully aware how cold it gets here in the winter, so don't block the heater
in the fish house or a real angler will kick your ass.

This is from Montana?

Any Montanan should know a real (no pun intended) fisherman doesn't fish from an ice fishing house but from the middle of a river. Hip deep in the water with a 5 weight fly rod rhythmically casting, in order to perfectly present an Elk Hair Cadis to an unsuspecting Rainbow (that's a trout for you non-fishers).
Old 05-24-2001, 11:34 PM   #12
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Hey There Montana!
Once I was on a road trip and passing through that awesome state.
It was night and i remember everyone was really scared because of all the
Crosses along the highway.
So scared that none of us wanted to drive anymore. We pulled over and waited
for the morning to continue on our way.
Old 05-25-2001, 12:16 AM   #13
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by onthepequod:
This is from Montana?

Any Montanan should know a real (no pun intended) fisherman doesn't fish from an ice fishing house but from the middle of a river. Hip deep in the water with a 5 weight fly rod rhythmically casting, in order to perfectly present an Elk Hair Cadis to an unsuspecting Rainbow (that's a trout for you non-fishers).
onthepequod, have you ever been anywhere in northern Minnesota during the winter? Icehouses prevail on all the lakes! We once had visitors from Korea during the winter, and they were horrified at the 'shanty-town' we had on our lakes for our homeless people. How terribly we were to make them live in shacks on the middle of a frozen lake!

For those of you not familiar with what I'm talking about, Ice fishing is very popular sport in Minnesota. People throw together little shacks our of any material they have handy, Icehouses, to sit in as they fish. There are usually hundreds on a lake, and they do resemble a shanty town.

JJ/newbie I must say that many of those 'better ways to enjoy Montana' would apply to Minnesota. Except we don't kick ass, we're too "Minnesota Nice".

------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.

Happy Member of Fast Fourward.

[This message has been edited by bilqis (edited 05-25-2001).]
Old 05-25-2001, 12:31 AM   #14
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by bilqis:
onthepequod, have you ever been anywhere in northern Minnesota during the winter? Icehouses prevail on all the lakes! We once had visitors from Korea during the winter, and they were horrified at the 'shanty-town' we had on our lakes for our homeless people. How terribly we were to make them live in shacks on the middle of a frozen lake!

JJ/newbie I must say that many of those 'better ways to enjoy Montana' would apply to Minnesota. Except we don't kick ass, we're too "Minnesota Nice".

Yeah, yeah, I know. We have ice houses on a lake not even a mile from my house. Heck, the ice fishing scenes in Grumpy Old Men were filmed in St. Paul. An the of Course there is Mille Lacs.

For those of you who aren't from Minnesota, Mille Lacs is a lake in the middle of the state that is a big ice fishing destination for those from the Twin Cities. In fact, each winter, a little town of ice houses and small cabins springs up in the middle of the lake with an estimated population of 5,000. The ice is thick in Minnesota. Oh and ice fishing in 10 below is considered tropical here, especially once wind chill is factored in.

However, in Montana they have some of the best trout streams in the world. Ice fishing pales in comparison to fishing those streams and rivers, away from the rest of civilization, with a fly rod.