Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2006, 05:52 AM   #1
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Here's the deal. My younger brother, on account of his insane amount of time spent playing the game Knight Online, has been limited by my father to one hour a day. However, as he didn't seem particularly adverse to breaking that condition (going on the computer after my parents sleep, or when they leave the house, etc.) my Dad asked me to put a password on the computer so he would need someone to log him in each time. All fine and dandy, until we realised that with an administrator account, he can easily create a new, temporary, account to play, or can remove the password, without having to enter the password. So I changed his account to a limited account, to prevent this. This would work fine, except that his game doesn't seem to work in a limited account.

The game Knight Online seems to almost load, but then some program called hackshield gives an error (either Error 107 or Error 1307, can't remember which, if you are interested) when trying to load the program. So we have to give him an admin account so he can use it at all. It's clearly a lot of trouble to check each accounts password after every time he plays, so I'm looking for another solution.

Is there anyway to make the game work? Or prevent an administrator account from removing passwords, or creating accounts, without requiring a password itself?

Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2006, 06:08 AM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

In my experience you don't really have access to decent permissions configuration unless you pay extra for XP Professional.

On the offchance you have, then it should be possible to fine tune his permissions - don't make him the admin, just create a priveleged account with admin access for certain things. Try looking under Control Panel -> Administrative Settings (or something similarly named)

But I never really use Windows these days so could be out of date on its capabilities.

[ 03-12-2006, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:13 AM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Are you running XP Pro or home?
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

If you have Pro, click "start" then click "run" when the run command comes up, type "compmgmt.msc" when the program comes up, look down the left and expand the "local users and groups" part, then double click on power user and click the "add" button, in there type your brothers username and add it to that group and you should also find his account one of the other areas and make sure he is removed from the administrator group
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:08 AM   #5
andrewas
Harper

BIOS passwords. Cant be bypassed without opening the case. If he knows enough to do that, see if you cant lock the case in some way.
andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:02 AM   #6
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

I am indeed running Pro. I shall try the suggestions here.

Andrewas: That could also work, but my parents are frail and that type of shock could cripple them

They aren't good with changes to the computer as drastic as that. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2006, 08:15 AM   #7
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Shamrock, Hivetyrant: Nope, didn't work :S

Ah well, maybe a BIOS password will do the trick...
Old 03-12-2006, 08:58 AM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

How does one set up a BIOS password?
Old 03-12-2006, 10:22 AM   #9
andrewas
Harper

Easy way - get Nacht to do it.

Harder way - First, memorise the password. Tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids, whatever. Forgetting this password means you need to open up the case and clear CMOS memory to get back into the system.

Anyway. You need to get into the BIOS setup program. Normaly you do this by hitting DEL during the POST check. Some manufacturers use a different key though. It should be displayed somewhere on screen during the POST check.

Once into the setup program, there should be a security menu which will allow you to set up the password.
andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #10
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Anyway. You need to get into the BIOS setup program. Normaly you do this by hitting DEL during the POST check. Some manufacturers use a different key though. It should be displayed somewhere on screen during the POST check.
Just FYI Cloudy, the POST check is what happens immediately after you turn on the computer/press the reset button. Keep your eyes open for "Press Del to enter setup" or something similar.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote