Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2004, 06:47 AM   #1
dplax
Jack Burton

I have gotten out of the shark place and now I am underground. I have been asked to kill this Balor but I cannot. My party is about lvl 14-15 consisting of PC (warrior), Aerie, Jaheira, Minsc, Jan, Imoen. I tried summoning the thing which has magic resistance, but the Balor would hit him once, and then he would run away. Any help on how to kill him would be appreciated.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 07:00 AM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

That's the Sniverbin (sp) one yes?

Hmmm...nothing works better than tanking, so get minsc, your PC and jaheira (if she has lots of plate mail etc) up there to soak up the melee damage. If one of your mages can cast Mordenkain's Sword, they're completely immune to physical damage of any kind so would be very handy. Have somebody cast Resist Fear on your party (it might be in a special ability somewhere to save you a spell slot) and chaotic commands if he keeps casting mind altering spells (i can't remember whether he does or not). You could also try a summon monsters spell to keep him occupied and away from spellcasters.

If you're finding him magically resistant, then hit him with a couple of lower resistances and hammer away with some offensive magic. Improved haste or oil of speed would be very good for your two fighters.

EDIT - he's completely immune to fire and magical fire, so stay away from them. He's also 90% magic resistant, so that'll take 3 lower resistances to get rid of most of it. All his saves are well under 10, so a greater malison might be a good idea after the lower resistances if you're planning to attack him magically. That would also give him a saving throw of 9 against death magic, so the odds are that you'll get through that with three chromatic orbs. They should slay him outright at your levels and they're only a level 1 spell. Jaheira should have some decent summons as well, just don't use a fire elemental

[ 02-23-2004, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 07:29 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

PS: You need weapons that are of +3 enchantment or better.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 07:38 AM   #4
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
PS: You need weapons that are of +3 enchantment or better.
Ah, thank you Dundee, i didn't realise that. Where can you find information about immunity to weapons class? Is that a job for InfExp? And i believe Mordy Swords strike as a +4 weapon dplax so they might be your saviour if your party is lacking in top-notch weapons. I haven't got the spell tables handy, but would imagine someone could knock out a level 7 spell at this point.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:44 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Usually two methods...

1) Play enough times and memorise all sorts of trivial facts.

2) Use a game editor to examine the creatures.

The former is experience, the latter is analytical.

ADD]

Balor is *cough* immuned to,

1) Poison
2) Fear
3) Charm
4) Feeblemind
5) Confusion
6) Polymorph
7) Normal to +2 enchanted weapons

His melee has a base damage of 1d12+14 crushing damage and the target must save vs spell on each hit or become panicked for 100 seconds.

Resistances-wise... ...

Fire: 100%
Cold: 10%
Electricity: 10%
Acid: 10%
Magic: 90%
Magic Fire/Cold: 10%
Crushing/Slashing/Missile/Piercing: 40%

SaveVsDeath: 5
~Wands: 7
~Polymorph: 6
~Breath: 5
~Spell: 8

Statistics-wise... ...

AC: -9
THAC0: -2
Attacks per Round: 4
HP: 155
Level 13
XP Value: 26000
STR: 25
DEX: 19
CON: 9
INT: 20
WIS: 16
CHA: 25 <---- No, I do not know why.

ADD] ADD]

Oh, and it can see through invisibility.

[ 02-23-2004, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Old 02-23-2004, 09:11 AM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:

Must be to get low prices in stores
Old 02-23-2004, 09:23 AM   #7
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Ah yes, thanks Dundee i've been poking around and figured it out now i think.

And ZFR, that's just too funny! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2004, 09:48 AM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
quote:
Must be to get low prices in stores [/QUOTE]
Quote:
Realistically speaking... ...

00FFFF">Nubsy, an Underdark Svirfneblin merchant, was tending his shop on another fine dull day.

"Sigh," he said, "another wonderful day of no customers. Whatever possessed me to start a business in a mining village?!"

Suddenly, there was a heart-stopping roar from the mines and the very ground beneath his feet trembled. Nubsy squealed and wondered whether it was an earthquake. Taking shelther under a desk, he became horribly aware that there were loud thumping footsteps approaching his location, and the air was becoming noticably warmer.

Peering under the desk, Nubsy slowly breathed and waited.

There was a knock on the door, but it was no mere knock. It was a loud booming knock that caused the door to shudder and dust to fly from it.

"We're... we're closed!"

It was apparently not an answer that the person behind the door wanted to hear, because what happened next was that the door was brutally smashed open and cast aside. The person, as it turned out, was a Balor, and it roared a might roar with flames coming out of its' eyes and other facial orifices.

"I don't want to die!" Nubsy cried in his mind, "I haven't even kiss a girl yet!"

"PUNY MORTAL! I DEMAND A TRADE OR I SHALL RIP YOUR HEAD APART FROM YOUR BODY WITH MY BARE HANDS! REFUSE NOT MY PATRONAGE!"

Nubsy quivered and nearly fainted from fear, but the thought of what the Balor might do to him, should he swoon, kept him awake. Crawling out from underneath the desk, he scampered to his shelves and motioned the Balor to come and take a look at his stock.

The Balor thundered over and began to examine the merchandise, throwing to the floor, stuff that it did not like to no objection from Nubsy. Finally, he selected several items and showed them to Nubsy.

"HOW MUCH FOR THESE, YOU PATHETIC BUG."

Nubsy's mind was in a whirl. Having a Balor as a customer was not what he had expected for today. Cautiously speaking up, he replied, "Erm. That will be 1200 gold pieces, good sir."

"1200! YOU GREEDY LITTLE SCUMBAG! DO YOU TAKE ME FOR A FOOL?!"

Nubsy sweated. He was already selling the items at cost price, but he decided that telling that to the Balor would not be a wise move. Stammering, he told the Balor, "My... my... apologies, good sir. Did I say 1200? I... I meant 120 gold pieces! Yes, yes! That's it! 120 gold pieces, and only for such fine customers as you!"

The Balor grinned and patted Nubsy on the head, which nearly caused Nubsy to scream hysterically.

"THAT'S A GOOD MAGGOT. YOU HAVE A DEAL."

The Balor magically conjured a bag of what was presumably gold, and dropped it at Nubsy's feet. The trade concluded, the Balor stomped out of the shop and went back to the depths from whence it came. Nubsy meanwhile, finally broke and went to a corner in his shop to curl up and sob.
Quote:
Whimsically speaking...

00FF00">
Nubsy, an Underdark Svirfneblin merchant, was tending his shop on another fine dull day.

"Sigh," he said, "another wonderful day of no customers. Whatever possessed me to start a business in a mining village?!"

Suddenly, there was a heart-stopping roar from the mines and the very ground beneath his feet trembled. Nubsy squealed and wondered whether it was an earthquake. Taking shelther under a desk, he became aware that there were footsteps approaching his location.

Peering under the desk, Nubsy slowly breathed and waited.

There was a polite knock on the door.

"We're... we're closed!"

A chirpy voice rang out from behind the door, "Closed? But the sign says that you're open, good sir. Perchance you be mistaken? I merely wish to patronise your shop and perhaps purchase items of interest to me."

Nubsy was a bit taken aback. Never had he met anyone so polite or formal. More at ease, he replied back, "Oh yes, my mistake. The shop is indeed open. Please, please come in, good sir."

The door opened and Nubsy almost screamed in terror; for standing in the doorway, was a Balor. A grinning Balor, but a Balor nevertheless.

Nubsy quivered and nearly fainted from fear, but the thought of what the Balor might do to him, should he swoon, kept him awake. Crawling out from underneath the desk, he scampered to his shelves and motioned the Balor to come and take a look at his stock.

The Balor strolled over and began to examine the merchandise, carefully placing back items that did not interest it. Finally, he selected several items and showed them to Nubsy.

"What fair price do you have for these, good sir?"

Nubsy's mind was in a whirl. Having a Balor as a customer was not what he had expected for today. Cautiously speaking up, he replied, "Erm. That will be 1200 gold pieces, good sir."

The Balor raised his eyes, and Nubsy wondered whether he had angered it.

"Surely you jest. 1200 for these? I am sure we can come to an agreement for a more reasonable price."

Nubsy sweated. He was already selling the items at cost price, but he decided that telling that to the Balor would not be a wise move. Stammering, he told the Balor, "My... my... apologies, good sir. Did I say 1200? I... I meant 120 gold pieces! Yes, yes! That's it! 120 gold pieces, and only for such fine customers as you!"

The Balor grinned and patted Nubsy on the shoulder, which nearly caused Nubsy to scream hysterically.

"Excellent, excellent! I knew you could be reasoned with. I thank you for your most generous discount, may your future be a bright one."

Having said that, the Balor magically conjured a bag of what was presumably gold, and dropped it at Nubsy's feet. The trade concluded, the Balor walked out of the shop and went back to the depths from whence it came. Nubsy meanwhile, finally broke and went to a corner in his shop to curl up and sob.
[ 02-23-2004, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Old 02-23-2004, 10:50 AM   #9
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

LOL - "well it would be a lot cheaper than that but you are evil . . ."
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:37 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

*sigh* all this great stuff about Balors, both in-character and highly technical, and nobody mentions the Hold effect of their Paralytic Gaze.