Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 10-18-2004, 12:29 AM   #1
rily83
Dungeon Master

Ok here goes...........

1)Where can i find all the parts for the wave blade(halberd)? I got it before in a previous game but just cant seem to remember now.

2)Do monks cap at +3 fists or is there some way to get to +4 or 5?(needed to hit certain enemies)

3)Do jesters suck, or is it just me?

4)Between a fighter/thief or a kensai->thief and an assasin(thief subclass), who does more backstab damage? Cause kensai->thief has grandmastery in weapons while an assasin only has proficiency. I once did 200+ damage wif my kensai->thief(critical hit) so do you think an assasin can ever reach that high, even wif the x7 multiplier?

5)Isnt Yoshimo's snares a form of cheating? I've used them to kill(not in any preference, order and by no means exhaustible) greater wolfweres, dragons, mages(Cowled wizards who appear after you cast a spell), war parties, jonny boy, Marissan, numerous monsters and all the time i am jus thinking, hey shouldnt you poor buggers look a bit worried when i start planting like 8 snares around you, even if i have the shadow dragon wardstone and that makes you not attack me...........

6)I wld like to add a mod or two for my next game of bg2. What is your most fav, must-have mod and why? Pls dun write down all of them, even if you have a lot of mods you like.........

7)Does anyone use a spear for valgyar? I just find the +10 piercing damage spear so cool that i dont give him anything else......This isnt a very gd question i think but just humour me pls.

I guess thats all for now. I might have one or two questions that slipped my mind so ill add on later
Old 10-18-2004, 01:21 AM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Spoilers ahoy...

1) The most-often overlooked piece of the Wave is found on Prince Villynatty (sic?) in the City of Caverns. I don't usually get it because I usually take his side.

3) It's not just you.

5) People often complain about this, and it's true. Sadly, in this case gamers just have to police themselves. Not in the final battles (as you know what's coming), but in dragon battles and such.

6) I really like Tactics... but I've soloed on Insane difficulty. I don't know how long you've been playing, but know it's not for the beginner.

7) No, but I gave that spear to Jahiera and it worked rather well.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 05:21 AM   #3
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

the piercing spear is very cool indeed and my 'lone hunter' character (solo archer) used very little else once she'd found it

(PS: as i understand it if you have SoA without ToB then Valygar can backstab with spears . . .
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

1) Underwater City (depending on which way you do the quest), and Planar Prison.

2) Monks' fists become +4 enchanted at Level 25, or so I hear.

3) ALL Bards suck. Some people persist in believing that they can fight, but I do my part to dispel this fallacy.

4) Assassin->Fighter has the highest possible Backstab damage, unless you take a specific NPC into account.

5) Abusing Traps like that is not cheating, it's cheese. It's breaking the roleplay and pretending that Firkraag isn't smart enough to notice that you're littering his floor with Traps. (Now, Golems are dumb enough to fall for this, bu that's pretty much it.)

6) Unfinished Business, Kelsey, Rogue Rebalancing, Enhanced Thief Stronghold, and certain components of Tactics, Ease-of-Use, and Item Upgrades.

7) Spear + Longbow is a very nice combo for Valygar, since he's already got points in both, he's a damn good sniper, and it's good to keep him a Spear's length away from the enemy.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:46 PM   #5
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Bards do NOT suck. Well, in BG2, they do. But in IWD and IWD2, they rock, and in PnP, they rock. I heard somewhere about a mod introducing the IWD bard perks in BG2, but can't seem to find any more information about it. Anyone know? (Icelus?)

Must plug the Gibberlings Three and the PPG. They make good mods for roleplaying characters.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:02 AM   #6
Jim
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
3) ALL Bards suck. Some people persist in believing that they can fight, but I do my part to dispel this fallacy.
The blade has the potential to be an exceptional fighter (with enough patience and nurturing), thanks to decent dual wielding and spell buffing.

The Skald is redundant with ToB, and the standard Bard is too weak offensively. The Jester on the other hand is a great kit to play. Greater Malison + Invisibility + Bard song = fun fun fun.

Quote:
4) Assassin->Fighter has the highest possible Backstab damage, unless you take a specific NPC into account.
Only with one very specific weapon (well, two I guess, both staves), and that's due to its immense base damage. Using any other weapon, the kensai->thief will come out on top afaik.

Quote:
Originally posted by rily83:
4)Between a fighter/thief or a kensai->thief and an assasin(thief subclass), who does more backstab damage? Cause kensai->thief has grandmastery in weapons while an assasin only has proficiency. I once did 200+ damage wif my kensai->thief(critical hit) so do you think an assasin can ever reach that high, even wif the x7 multiplier?
The highest theoretical damage an assassin can do on a critical backstab (dualled from fighter) is 466 (or there abouts). One particular NPC Six hinted at can beat that though A pure assassin could probably manage around 320+. From your list though, the kensai->thief would own them all (if dualled at the optimum level).

[ 10-19-2004, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Jim ]
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 04:44 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim:
The blade has the potential to be an exceptional fighter (with enough patience and nurturing), thanks to decent dual wielding and spell buffing.
And the Swashbuckler has the potential to be an even better fighter, thanks to the fact that he doesn't NEED spells (or even UAI) to get almost-decent combat stats. A Blade will always beat a Swashbuckler in a duel, but in the game itself, a Swashbuckler is much more valuable.
Hell, even Nalia has "decent dual-wielding and spell buffing," as you call it.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:33 PM   #8
rily83
Dungeon Master

This is weird but ill answer some of my own questions and ask a few more......

3)Supposedly with the latest ToB patch Jesters actually can do more than confuse, now theres stun and slow at level 20, which sounds kinda cool. Has anyone tried it?

2)Well the kid description for monk doesnt say anything about a +4 fist at level 25. Perhaps theres a mod which changes this?

1)Ok Prince Villy is now lying in pieces in Sahaugin city. So I have 1 part of the wave and trying to figure out who to kill to get the next one. Help?

6)Not trying to be a wimp or anything but Tactics sounds really hard from the description given. I took Ascension instead, because it seemed a little easier at that time. Hopefully it works out cos i hate being a punching bag.

Extra questions!

8) Has anyone managed to successfully complete Imoen's romance? It seems that the campfire conversation is very important and after that she hasnt spoken to me for like 5,6 real hours. I am guessing thats bad. A few hints would be great, even one or two spoilers as long as i keep the romance going.

9)Does frame rate affect the speed in which conversations start? As in the frame rate in the baldur.ini file. Supposedly if i double the frame rate would the time waiting for conversations be halved?

Thanks a bunch
Old 10-20-2004, 03:45 AM   #9
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

item spoilers can be easily found here . . .

http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/magic_items_menu.htm

Tactics is cool by whe way - so far (early days though) I've only found improved Illyich to be the stupidly powerful (many many reloads required) but you can choose which bits you install - the tweaked mages and improved undead are definitely worth it
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:57 AM   #10
Jim
Quintesson

Quote:
And the Swashbuckler has the potential to be an even better fighter, thanks to the fact that he doesn't NEED spells (or even UAI) to get almost-decent combat stats. A Blade will always beat a Swashbuckler in a duel, but in the game itself, a Swashbuckler is much more valuable.
Hell, even Nalia has "decent dual-wielding and spell buffing," as you call it.
Yes, the Swashbuckler will eventually become a superior fighter - there's no disputing that, but I'm not sure that the Swashbuckler is more valuable in the game. What does the Swashbuckler have over the Blade versatility wise? AC, damage and to hit bonuses? Great....except for Offensive/Defensive spins of the Blade which essentially nullify the swashbucklers' advantage here. As the swashbuckler grows in power, the combat/AC bonuses will eventually overtake the Blade's spin abilities, but being able to use Blur/Mirror Image/Stoneskin/Tensors Transform combined with some powerful chain armour always had more more use for me. Then there's the summons, but that's only really advantageous when considering soloing.

As for Nalia, she has the spell buffing yes, but dual wielding? Amazingly bad THAC0 combined with penalties from only being able to use 1* in Two Weapon Style? Even with significant spell buffing she isn't going to be hitting much anytime soon.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote