Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-17-2001, 07:39 AM   #21
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Heh, I killed Edwin once to try to get his Amulet. Didn't work... ...

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 08-17-2001, 10:11 AM   #22
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

As Yogurt once said to Lone Starr: "The ring is bubckus! the Shwartz is in you, Lone Starr!". The same way the amulet is nothing. Edwin gets his bonus spells because he was trained by the Wizards of Thay, and those guys a mean m.f. servants of Mystra, so to speak. In other words the amulet would have been useless to you.
Old 08-17-2001, 11:00 AM   #23
Terence The Unspecial
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by DonkeyWan:
"The bourgeoisie has subjected the country to the rule of the owns. It has created enormous cities, has greatly increased the urban population as compared with the rural, and has thus rescued a considerable part of the population from the idiocy of rural life. Just as it has made the countryside dependent on the towns, so it has made barbarian and semi-barbarian countries dependent on the civilised ones, nations of peasants on nations of bourgeois, the East on the West. The bourgeoisie keeps more and more doing away with the scattered state of the population, of the means of production, and of property. It. has agglomerated population, centralised means of production, and has concentrated property in a few hands." Karl marx

Bourgeois concept of evil? As can be seen from the quote above, Bourgeois is a phrase used since the 19th century to denote the wealthy, propertied middle-class. Good and evil by comparison has been a term in use as far back as recorded history (some book called the bible makes passing mention if i remember rightly). As for your actions in killing Edwin, you don't seem to consider them evil, but others might. Killing someone because you don't like their turn of phrase seems pretty evil to me. Your failure to recognise this seems to stem from your unwillingness to accept the consequences of your actions. Just because you refuse to acknowledge the existence of good and evil doesn't make your actions right. Unless you can prove that there are no such things as good and evil, or right and wrong, you must acknowledge the possibility of their existence and therefore the possibility that your actions were unwarranted. I would be interexsted to see what scale you used to measure the merits of your actions. Does it run something like "What I deem acceptable, what I deem unacceptable". This is a trait becoming more and more a characteristic of modern society and while it can be a good measure of judgement (do what you feel is right), it is also a highly subjective one.

A computer game is a lousy context for a discussion of morality.

And as a basis for discussing for the content of someones character, it is even worse.

The fundamental mistake you make in your post is assuming that my actions in a computer game have any bearing on my actions -- actual or hypothetical-- in reality.

My issue with the game was simply a question of plot. That has been ably answered by other posters, who have my thanks.

If you want to discuss cultural constructions of good and evil, modernism, binary oppositions, post modernism, Romanticism or empiricism, which would give us a good start on morality, feel free to email me at the address in my profile.
Old 08-17-2001, 01:26 PM   #24
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Lioness:
I HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATE

HATE

Edwin.
Sorry, just my 2.

Awwww, don't be like that - He's funny and incompetent - if you don't like him you'll like what happens to him after ToB (no I won't spoil you here )

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
Lord Raptor's Site

Old 08-17-2001, 02:39 PM   #25
Ace Flashheart
Manshoon

Wow we have culture... any second now we'll break into a flaming war about the exerstancial nature of existance... or maybe I'll just go and anwser a few more "what are these golden bones for" questions, decisions decisions.
Old 08-17-2001, 02:43 PM   #26
Terence The Unspecial
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Ace Flashheart:
Wow we have culture... any second now we'll break into a flaming war about the exerstancial nature of existance... or maybe I'll just go and anwser a few more "what are these golden bones for" questions, decisions decisions.
Existential.

I suggest unless you know the spelling of the words that you are using, you might prehaps try a less "letter-intensive workout"

And I have a suggestion of what you can do with those golden bones, should you stumble across any ...
Old 08-17-2001, 03:21 PM   #27
Tuor
Elminster

On a lighter note how'd you get the little smiley faces at the end of your posts?

Technology is not one of my strong points, by rights I should be a caveman.
Old 08-17-2001, 03:24 PM   #28
Terence The Unspecial
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor:
On a lighter note how'd you get the little smiley faces at the end of your posts?

Technology is not one of my strong points, by rights I should be a caveman.
i put the semi colon ; and the right bracket ) in sequence one after the other
and got this

Old 08-17-2001, 08:13 PM   #29
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

I think their point was, Terence, that in your rejection of the "bourgeois" concepts of good and evil, you were talking out of your rear end. And Ace and Donkey called you on it. I, myself, found your original good and evil lesson, and your comments thereafter, somewhat "pretentious".
Old 08-17-2001, 08:49 PM   #30
Wildhorse
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by floyd:
I think their point was, Terence, that in your rejection of the "bourgeois" concepts of good and evil, you were talking out of your rear end. And Ace and Donkey called you on it. I, myself, found your original good and evil lesson, and your comments thereafter, somewhat "pretentious".[/B]
Guys... guys... he just stated his opinion, is all. The, chosing of which ever path you want to follow is always depended on "hot and cold" concept. This is true of life itself, I know and understand why one would want to steer away from this concept but it is not possible. There is good and evil and there is life and death, you can never be neutral, the concept itself is false as being neutral, you are taking a position, hence you are not in perfect balance. Anyway, if one takes neutrality as a firm concept, one would understand that, if you are neutral to someone, you will be enemy to someone else and friend to someone else again. Kind of why the more complexe wording in BGII, where neutrality takes a whole new meaning, a more accurate meaning.