Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-30-2004, 12:29 PM   #1
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Just wondering if there are any opinions about this. I've been a Dnd player back in tha day (quite a few years ago... hard to find time now, too much reality in the way...)
BUT I was wondering is there any opinions on 2nd edition versus 3rd edition Dnd.

Which do you people prefer, and maybe a quick summary why.

Me, having become familiar with the 2nd edition rules and no real knowledge of the 3rd, I prefer 2nd.

SilentThief
Old 12-30-2004, 12:32 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I also prefer 2nd edition rules. I played (still do actually) BG series for a long time and I learned the rules. Then I installed NWN/IWD 2 and just deleted it. 3rd edition rules are way to complicated for me.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:37 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

3rd ed. They allow the DM a lot more flexibility, and do make slightly more sense than 2nd ed once yo know the ruleset.

The common complaint is that 3rd ed allows players more power, but the DM can control that under Rule Zero if desired.

As for the complexity, I find them more or less the same. 3rd ed notations look more complex, but once you know what they all mean its actualy quite simple.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:52 PM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Well recently I have become allot more familiar with 2nd edition, so I would prefer it, and so far, from what I have seen, 3rd edition looks very good, but it is a big change from 2nd edition in the way that there is much more. But until I finally completely understand 3rd edition, I will have to go with 2nd
Old 12-30-2004, 02:30 PM   #5
philip
Galvatron

First rules I knew where 2nd in BGII but I know 3rd edition better cause I play them in p&p now. I don't think either is hard but you have to know how it works (like I still don't know the full 2nd edition rules). 3rd edition is a bit clearer with higher number means better. But 2nd edition looked at rolls more I think (THAC0 = 10 you only have to roll average to hit isn't it?) and then it makes sense. I don't prefer either, it depends on what I'm playing and how I got used to it. I wouldn't like BGII in 3rd edition probably cause it doesn't make sense, nor would I like NWN in 2nd edition rules.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:37 PM   #6
Jorath Calar
Harper

Well since I never really understood Thac0 and never DM'd in 2nd Edition, just played, and given how simple 3rd edition is to learn and teach I'm going to say I prefer 3e... well actualy 3.5 now... but thats a minor point... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2004, 06:31 PM   #7
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

We play 2nd ed every Sunday. Our DM is very flexible on the rules though. I play a Halfling Bard for example.

My forum name is my former Halfling Transmuter!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:55 PM   #8
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

I like 3rd Edition more because it gives the player much more freedom in classes and skills. i am however working on a system that can permanently eliminate the awfully artificial allignments.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:42 PM   #9
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Depends...I like pc wise 3rd edition - allows more flexiblity for the characters and allows you to vary your gameplay from character to character.

PnP, I still like 2nd Edition. It may have been just the two DM were not the most experienced, but they seemed to drag the game out by all the difference rolls and checks and made it not as much fun...

just my opinion...

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Old 12-30-2004, 07:52 PM   #10
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I prefer 2nd edition rules because it's straight and to the point. I also have a 3rd edition campaign and when your characters get to a certain level, let's say epic like some of mine are, you can't keep track of all the feats they have and use, like damage reduction, immunities, and so forth.

I do prefer 2nd edition, but in my campaign, I guess you'd call it 4th edition, because I use rules from second and third edition.